Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #151
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
No Change (Improvement) For Me

I have a KPW from the 1st batch that was delivered on 2 October. This unit has a faint greenish "blob" that runs diagonal from top left corner to about the middle of the screen. It's never really bothered me to the point of returning it & going back to my Kindle Keyboard.

But I decided that I wanted to upgrade to the KPW 3G model & was hoping that Amazon had worked out the discoloration issues. So I ordered a new one & it arrived yesterday. Sadly, the screen on the new 3G KPW is identical to my WiFi-only model.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:27 PM   #152
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
all this reading makes me glad I cancelled my order which would have arrived after Dec 24, and re-ordered it dec 25. It's going to arrive Jan 2, with a 503 s/n.

Looks like I barely avoided a bad batch!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 AM   #153
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Received my PW on Dec 20th. It is a '502' and the screen is perfect. Don't read too much into this serial # hype.
Eh? No hype, at least for me. Of the four PWs I'd been shipped, 3 were 501s and *all* were muddy and green, some more so than others. One was a 502 and it was brighter, though still green in spots, and also more pink, especially in the upper right corner. if you'd put all the units I'd been shipped in a row, you'd see a uniformity in color and vastness of the smudged areas, and the 502 would stand out as non-white in a different way. Mind you, it was only after receiving the third unit that I'd noticed the defects matched the serial numbers, and again, this is only in reference to the four I've owned.

My problems with this product for me thus far are not indicative of any trend. I've had my Kindle Keyboard for two plus years and have never had any problem with it. This is the first electronic products (and I've bought a lot of electronic products over the years) I've ever felt the need to return. Hype? Believe me, I wish it were so. It is not in my natural temperament to complain, and I personally don't enjoy further trips to the UPS store. It does not thrill me to have to speak to yet another CS representative.

So! I guess I just hope you didn't mean to belittle or minimize the frustrations of customers, including myself, who've been unlucky with their PWs! I dunno. Maybe you did?

Last edited by randomzombie; 12-31-2012 at 12:13 AM.
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #154
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomzombie View Post
Eh? No hype, at least for me. Of the four PWs I'd been shipped, 3 were 501s and *all* were muddy and green, some more so than others. One was a 502 and it was brighter, though still green in spots, and also more pink, especially in the upper right corner. if you'd put all the units I'd been shipped in a row, you'd see a uniformity in color and vastness of the smudged areas, and the 502 would stand out as non-white in a different way. Mind you, it was only after receiving the third unit that I'd noticed the defects matched the serial numbers, and again, this is only in reference to the four I've owned.

My problems with this product for me thus far are not indicative of any trend. I've had my Kindle Keyboard for two plus years and have never had any problem with it. This is the first electronic products (and I've bought a lot of electronic products over the years) I've ever felt the need to return. Hype? Believe me, I wish it were so. It is not in my natural temperament to complain, and I personally don't enjoy further trips to the UPS store. It does not thrill me to have to speak to yet another CS representative.

So! I guess I just hope you didn't mean to belittle or minimize the frustrations of customers, including myself, who've been unlucky with their PWs! I dunno. Maybe you did?
I was applying the term 'hype' to the idea that the serial #'s would give an indication of whether the screen would be good or bad... I am fortunate enough to have gotten a 'good' screen and my PW is a 502. The person that my post was directed to was awaiting their PW and seemed concerned that it was a 502. I was attempting to alleviate some of their concern.

So! I guess I just hope next time you might actually read my post and not just assume I'm trolling! I dunno. Maybe you won't.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:25 AM   #155
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
Quote:
I was applying the term 'hype' to the idea that the serial #'s would give an indication of whether the screen would be good or bad... I am fortunate enough to have gotten a 'good' screen and my PW is a 502. The person that my post was directed to was awaiting their PW and seemed concerned that it was a 502. I was attempting to alleviate some of their concern.

So! I guess I just hope next time you might actually read my post and not just assume I'm trolling! I dunno. Maybe you won't.
Eh. my bad. I think it was the word "hype" along with the icon that sort of rang in my head with this they-dont-know-what-they're-talking-about sensibility. Alas, communication, like any given Kindle PW screen, so open to interpretation!
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #156
Yellowfrog
Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yellowfrog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Received my PW on Dec 20th. It is a '502' and the screen is perfect. Don't read too much into this serial # hype.
I hear you; I have a 501 that's not all that bad, and I do understand that it probably wouldn't have bothered me at all had I not starting reading about the various issues on this board. In any case, I will follow up once the new one gets delivered later this week.
Yellowfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:31 AM   #157
sitrucz
Connoisseur
sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.sitrucz writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Apple iPad Mini
I have a 502 and haven't seen the issues people are speaking of.
sitrucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #158
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
I bought a KPW on 30.Dec.2012 from a local store which had just taken new deliveries, and it has a serial number starting B024 1503. The display is amazing and my wife can at last read in bed without waking me up! There is a tiny amount of shadow near the very bottom but it real is trivial. The lighting is very uniform on all settings with no colour casts or spots. It can be varied from a gentle grey right up to bright white.

Last edited by Agama; 12-31-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM   #159
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey Guys,
My e-ink device has arrived today, a 503 type, and at low light settings, the shadows are clearly visible. Even at higher light settings.
It doesn't bother me though...
What bothers me more, is starting from setting 4, I can clearly see a decoloration on the color of the light.
The brighter I set the light, the clearer it becomes.
The top 10% of the screen is like a broken white.
From 10% (like about 1 in) down to 2/3rd of the screen, the color is clearly pink-ish.
Going down below that, the screen becomes broken white again.

Now there's also a quadrant of the screen having a slightly 'brownish' color; on the right-bottom of the screen; starting from light intensity 7 it is noticeable, and the brighter you set the light, the more it is noticeable.
The brownish color originates at the right bottom, and looks like the shadow of between the 2 right bottom leds.
It goes up, all the way 1/3rd of the screen, where it mingles with the pink color, and becomes indestinguishable.

Also, only viewable at high light settings, the light between the 2 center leds, is noticeably much brighter. right next to the brown streak, there's a white streak, originating from the bottom, all the way 1/3rd of the screen up to where it becomes one with the brown and pink.

For me, the decoloration is much more an issue, than the shadows on the bottom, and very noticeable from 14 and up.

I have a theory though, as to what it could be.
Looking at the leds, they all look the same white to me; so I presume Amazon did quite the job in at least finding 4 matching leds.
Even the wave guide screen for the light is very neutral and does not have any color deviations in it.

I presume, and can be nearly 80% sure, that the problem is more of a quantum problem, meaning, when photon waves of multiple light sources interact, some of them will cancel each other out; kind of like when you have a pool of perfect still water, and throw 2 stones in it, from a distance from each other, the waves these stones create, will travel and cross each other's path.
Though both waves created from the stones are quite regular, at the point where both waves interact with each other, you'll see that some waves will cancel each other out; while others will create even greater waves than the source waves (basically adding up on each other).

There's a theory I read a long time ago about light waves, and how multiple light waves can actually interact with each other, and cancel out each other.
And if that is the case, color deviations may become noticeable.
In a sense a prism does about the same thing. It brings out a spreaded pattern of colors out of what ordinarily would be a white light.
In the kindle, the light bouncing back and forth in the glass substrate, must nullify some of the blue colors. Perhaps the issue can be solved by making a different glass substrate (of different thickness); or perhaps a different substrate will only cause different colors to appear.

The way I see it, there's nothing wrong with the kindle like this. It's just a bad engineered glass substrate, or an issue that perhaps just is not solveable (as when any change to the substrate could just move the hue deviations instead of eliminating it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's the problem with those color deviations.
Not much you can do about it.
In any case, don't think that when you see them, that they given you a device from batch with a bad led in it or so, that's just not the case.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #160
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Prodigit, that is clearly a case where an exchange is in order. Maybe you could post a picture of it with light at 24 in a dark room. If it is as you describe, there is a fault with your light guide.

About your theory about light canceling each other out: yes it is possible. It is even easier to go by this: reflecting light on all wavelengths the same is a non-trivial matter. And since the light guide cannot possibly be a simple construct of reflection, you also deal with refraction. This by itself can cause grief. Why do you think a good SLR lens is worth thousands of dollars if even sharpness and no color-fringing is needed without loss of too much light on the way (as in lower f-stop numbers).

I suggest you post that picture, let us look at it, and if it is aweful, you should call Amazon and complain about a faulty unit.

Update: oh, just in case you have not seen it, but post #83 shows my 2 PW - this is what they can look like. No they are not perfect, but looks a lot better than what you describe.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 12-31-2012 at 03:09 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #161
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I suggest you post that picture, let us look at it, and if it is aweful, you should call Amazon and complain about a faulty unit.
Agreed. This doesn't sound right. On lower levels I don't see any shadowing, only on higher levels and there is no pink colour anywhere.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #162
ProDigit
Karmaniac

hey. writing you from the device!
goes pretty well ! punctuation is quite the bitcj though!

overl the light is white . th discoloration is inimal. just wished i cojld turn the keyboard. fingers are to bif fo keys cusing spelling errors
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #163
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
I got my replacement yesterday (501). Egads. It's like reading through a haze of muddy water interspersed with weird pink blobs. Compared to the replacement, my original Kindle looks like it should be the gold standard lol. I'm pretty shocked at the difference between the displays. There should NOT be that much difference. I'll try one more time....
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #164
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I got my replacement yesterday (501). Egads. It's like reading through a haze of muddy water interspersed with weird pink blobs. Compared to the replacement, my original Kindle looks like it should be the gold standard lol. I'm pretty shocked at the difference between the displays. There should NOT be that much difference. I'll try one more time....
I'd say you're better off returning the PW's for a refund and buying one new rather than getting a replacement. Good luck.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #165
omega34
Enthusiast
omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omega34 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
Yeah, I would suggest getting a refund for that as well. With all these people having screen troubles, I must've been pretty lucky because I'm very happy with my screen.
omega34 is offline   Reply With Quote