Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #121
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
My Paperwhite is a 502. I don't know if it has coloring on the screen or not; in some lighting the screen is perfect, but in low lighting I almost think I see a smudge of green down near the LEDs. I don't know whether to stick with the kindle I have now, or try to get a replacement in the hopes that it might be better.
Don't worry about replacing it unless it distracts you from reading. The more you look for imperfections the sooner you will find something wrong. If you can sink into the world of your book and forget everything around you (including a maybe almost green) than your Kindle is doing its job. If after half hour reading or more you still can't stop thinking about that spot, then maybe you should see if you want to have it replaced.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #122
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Don't worry about replacing it unless it distracts you from reading. The more you look for imperfections the sooner you will find something wrong. If you can sink into the world of your book and forget everything around you (including a maybe almost green) than your Kindle is doing its job. If after half hour reading or more you still can't stop thinking about that spot, then maybe you should see if you want to have it replaced.
Exactly what DuckieTigger said. When I first got mine I had the light setting low what was recommended. Then I ended up turning it up to 10 or so (don't remember) so the green tint you think you see may be shadowing from low lighting.

Give it some time. I am glad I kept mine over a month now. I love reading with it. Xray is so cool, it tells you who the characters are in the book and where there are in the book, like boomarks. It is so nice. My other Kindles didn't have that, K3, KDX, KFHD. So enjoy.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #123
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I just bought a PW for my wife. It looked great. The dark patches on the bottom seem to have minimized a bit more. I'm lucky, however, because my original PW is also pretty good although not as good as my wife's.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #124
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
My PW overall is good, but I have a speck on the screen that won't come off. I think it's either a flaw in the screen(such as a hole) or maybe a dust particle underneath the screen. It's so small, but it is annoying me, so I'm going to exchange it. The lighting is fine, and I hope my new one is as well.

Last edited by Tinks; 12-27-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #125
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I ended up caving and requesting a replacement after all. I just couldn't get over the shadowing effect. The replacement Paperwhite came today and it's perfect. No signs of any discoloration at any light setting. My first Paperwhite was from an earlier batch than the replacement, so I don't know if that has anything to do with the difference in quality.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #126
mngharry
Enthusiast
mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PRS-505
For what it's worth, all the replacements I received September through mid-December had 501 or 502 in their serial numbers, and all were far from perfect. They also weren't updated – even the one I received in mid-December. The one I ordered as a new one instead of as a replacement, however, had 503 in its serial number, and has an amazing screen. The screen looks almost like those in the commercial shots. The main difference seems to be, though, that the 503 one has a more pleasing yellowish hue instead of an eye watering reddish one. There definitely is an improvement in lighting evenness too, though.
mngharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #127
Kiasmama
Kiasmama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
very good info in this thread..especially relative to the serial numbers. Seems like they might have solved a bit of the issues with the lighting. I have been holding off...possibly waiting for the next generation, but if I can get a 503 it seems I should be OK. I can't wait. I have wanted one since they were announced!!
Kiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #128
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I really hope so. I ordered one because I couldn't pass up getting the cover at 40% off with that Voucher. Amazon got me. It should be here on Thursday.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #129
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I really hope so. I ordered one because I couldn't pass up getting the cover at 40% off with that Voucher. Amazon got me. It should be here on Thursday.
Did you get the PW Blossom? I am so happy for you. I love mine. I don't know what number they are talking about, but I love love love mine. I read on it several times in the middle of the night.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #130
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Did you get the PW Blossom? I am so happy for you. I love mine. I don't know what number they are talking about, but I love love love mine. I read on it several times in the middle of the night.
It's the first number of the serial number of your Kindle. It seems 503 is a new stock that has no discoloration issues. I can only hope I get one. I don't want to play the exchange game.

It will be here Thursday after New Years.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #131
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's the first number of the serial number of your Kindle. It seems 503 is a new stock that has no discoloration issues. I can only hope I get one. I don't want to play the exchange game.

It will be here Thursday after New Years.
Ok my number is 502. So they are saying 502 is not good? It is not perfect, but I still love it.

I still read on the KFHD and the SPG5.

Last edited by new; 01-01-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #132
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
For the record, my second Paperwhite was from the 503 batch as well. It certainly seems like people have had more luck so far with them than the earlier ones. Maybe Amazon has finally fixed the problem?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #133
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Mine is a 501. I have no problems with it. I'm not all that picky, in general, though.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #134
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
Thanks for the new info, re: the 503s. I received *another* 501 as a replacement the day before Christmas. Sigh. Gonna demand a newer model this time around.
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #135
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomzombie View Post
Thanks for the new info, re: the 503s. I received *another* 501 as a replacement the day before Christmas. Sigh. Gonna demand a newer model this time around.
The easiest way to get a new one is to return your old for refund and order a new one. You won't get a new one guranteed any other way.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote