Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
binkyblue
binkyblue began at the beginning.

Device: telefunken
What's the best device to buy for downloading free public domain books?

I have a simple telefunken ereader that works fine for Gutenberg but doesn't work properly for other sites like Internet Archives or Google. Thanks.
binkyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
Allucard
Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Allucard could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kindle touch
I'm also doing that research. From what I found out so far most major choices will have some restriction on sideloaded (no DRM) books to make you buy from their own stores and hook you forever. The newest most popular feature being sadly used to this purpose by the major companies are social features like facebook sharing for instance.

They will lure you with the promise of 1000 features but soon you'll find out you need to use their own book to access them. In the same way I would not buy the gas and the car from the same company I'm not doing that for books. I'm strongly against this because its killing smaller publishers and authors.

So far I found out the Kobo is the best choice, the worst being kindle as you won't even be able to use the EPUB format.

Also, I use e-ink solely. I like to read and I like to feel it's a piece of paper and not my smartphone I have to plug in everyday.
Allucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive etc have their books available in various formats, PDF, epub, mobi, html, txt. So for free public domain books, disregard the comment about Kindle being the worst because it can't use epub, really you should be able to use just about any ereaders for them.

I presume you are trying to browse and download the books directly to your ereader and aren't downloading them to your computer and then transferring via USB? In which case, I've no idea which is best or why one will work for Project Gutenberg and not books from the Internet Archive. I've downloaded books directly to my Kindle from both of them, and I just assumed that would work for all the main e-readers?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allucard View Post
So far I found out the Kobo is the best choice, the worst being kindle as you won't even be able to use the EPUB format.
The Kindle is very far from being "the worst". It's just as easy to get books in Amazon's Mobi/KF8 formats as in ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
This is what you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyblue View Post
I have a simple telefunken ereader that works fine for Gutenberg but doesn't work properly for other sites like Internet Archives or Google. Thanks.
What you need is a free programme for your PC. You can get it here:
http://calibre-ebook.com/
Download the books in ANY format to your PC. Calibre will easily change them to the format you want and will upload them in the desired format to your Ereader.
BTW I think that the best ereader is the bog standard Kindle, available in Spain (where I live) for 79 euros. You CAN put books without DRM onto your Kindle with no problem at all using Calibre.
Calibre works with any Ereader. I have used it with 4 different ones.
Good luck.
PS If you need help with Calibre, look on Youtube.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertolt View Post
PS If you need help with Calibre, look on Youtube.
Er, no, look in the "Calibre" forum right here at MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allucard View Post
I'm also doing that research. From what I found out so far most major choices will have some restriction on sideloaded (no DRM) books to make you buy from their own stores and hook you forever. The newest most popular feature being sadly used to this purpose by the major companies are social features like facebook sharing for instance.
No, this is not correct. All of the major e-book readers allow you to add non-DRM'd books from other sources.
Quote:

They will lure you with the promise of 1000 features but soon you'll find out you need to use their own book to access them. In the same way I would not buy the gas and the car from the same company I'm not doing that for books. I'm strongly against this because its killing smaller publishers and authors.
This is not right, either. There may be some features that don't work, but there aren't many. Amazon even allows you to sync non-Kindle books across devices.
Quote:

You don't need EPUB; PG books come in other formats, including the Kindle formats.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
And most epub books convert to mobi quite well through Calibre. So I've found anyway.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
jineapple
Enthusiast
jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.jineapple is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Plus the Kindle Store itself has a good amount of Public Domain books as well
jineapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
You'll find the best-formatted public domain books right here, on MobileRead.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
I'm a fan of Kindle, particularly the Paperwhite. Most or all public domain ebooks are available from Amazon, Project Gutenberg or other sources preformatted for kindle/mobi. Those in epub format can be easily converted with Calibre or other free mobi conversion programs.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
You'll find the best-formatted public domain books right here, on MobileRead.
+1

Our ebook collection may be the best-kept secret in ebook history!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote