Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #31
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
He has actually made some television programs about him living with alzheimers that detailed his experiences during his first year or so with the disease as he investigated some potential treatments, met other sufferers and so on, its well worth a watch if you can track it down.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #32
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
So, to be consistent, he shouldn't pray-but that doesn't mean others shouldn't pray for him. (FWIW I'm an atheist/agnostic-depends on how I feel on a given day. One of my strongest beliefs though is that I shouldn't require others to follow *my* beliefs. If they believe in prayer, and want to pray for me, they should feel free to do so-without me (or anyone else) telling them that I don't believe in it. I'll do that only if they ask me to pray with them.)

Although I can't (won't) pray for him, I do wish him & his the very best of luck.
I do wish the best for him and his family, and if there is some overarching Intelligence out there concerned with the well-being of hairless apes on a minor planet that circles a average star in a outlying arm of one of billions of typical spiral galaxies, then I hope that Intelligence looks kindly on him and his family as well.

Unsolicited religious activity can be a problem for some folks. Just look at the uproar created by Holocaust survivors who are offended by Mormons who perform baptism rituals for dead Jews. Or the Pope's annual Prayer for the Jews. Of course, these prayers and baptisms have ulterior motives, so I can understand why they take offense. But why should unbelievers feel any less offense at prayers whose aim is to change them in ways they don't desire?

That having been said, as a secular humanist it doesn't bother me when other people offer prayers on my behalf. In truth, I'm flattered. I realize that from their perspective, they have my best interest in mind. Not to mention the fact that as long as they're on their knees, it's hard to launch an attack!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #33
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Lighten up. I'm a firm believer in making the best of any situation. Humor is important. No the disease is not funny, and yes, I too have "remembering" issues and may just have the beginnings of the same thing. If you watched the videos or have done any research on the disease then you'll know there is very little real information as to it's origin and course. It's also been around far longer than it has had a name and if you're ever been around any number of older people you will have seen it or parts of it. Now, go read some comics, or maybe even some of his work, I understand there are some quite funny bits.
I do wish I had his money though.
Fair enough - we can agree to disagree on this one I am happy to lighten up about my own condition(s), but not to that of other people.
BTW, I'm just introducing some light Terry Pratchet to my 7 year old daughter - I've been hooked since the early '90 - The Carpet People should be a good start.

Cheers,

m-reader
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
He has actually made some television programs about him living with alzheimers that detailed his experiences during his first year or so with the disease as he investigated some potential treatments, met other sufferers and so on, its well worth a watch if you can track it down.
It was a two-part programme called, if I recall correctly, "Living with Alzheimers" and shown on the BBC. Very worthwhile watching.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #35
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
There's a video here of him talking about religion since it came up in this thread. (No resizing of browsers required)

There's a longer video here taken from the same Guardian book club but I've not watched it through yet. He's always interesting to listen to though.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #36
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
It's a horrible disease that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. My grandmother and my aunt both have it now. Watching people you love degenerate from the inside out is sickening. I have my fingers crossed that some kind of genetic patch or stem cell therapy is found in time to save Mr.Pratchett. It won't come soon enough for the people close to me, but he and many others might have a chance.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #37
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Here's a link of him talking about Alzheimer's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z44ip5kYQ8w

(I was about to post a link about him on religion, too-- I'm sure Sir Pratchett will remain an atheist in his foxhole, and implying that his convictions are shallow enough to be changed simply by "bad times" is an insulting slur)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qqnTmBTwOo
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I'd consider using IE a much bigger annoyance than having the browser window resized

Opera has settings that prevent windows being resized with javascript, maybe Firefox has similar settings?
Yes, Firefox does have a similar setting. But this prevents proper popup windows from being resized.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Not yet.

MORTICIAN: Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
CUSTOMER: Here's one -- nine pence.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
MORTICIAN: What?
CUSTOMER: Nothing -- here's your nine pence.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
MORTICIAN: Here -- he says he's not dead!
CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not!
MORTICIAN: He isn't.
CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!
CUSTOMER: No, you're not -- you'll be stone dead in a moment.
MORTICIAN: Oh, I can't take him like that -- it's against regulations.
DEAD PERSON: I don't want to go in the cart!
CUSTOMER: Oh, don't be such a baby.
MORTICIAN: I can't take him...
DEAD PERSON: I feel fine!
CUSTOMER: Oh, do us a favor...
MORTICIAN: I can't.
CUSTOMER: Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't
be long.
MORTICIAN: Naaah, I got to go on to Robinson's -- they've lost nine
today.
CUSTOMER: Well, when is your next round?
MORTICIAN: Thursday.
DEAD PERSON: I think I'll go for a walk.
CUSTOMER: You're not fooling anyone y'know. Look, isn't there
something you can do?
DEAD PERSON: I feel happy... I feel happy.
[whop]
CUSTOMER: Ah, thanks very much.
MORTICIAN: Not at all. See you on Thursday.
CUSTOMER: Right.
[clop clop]
MORTICIAN: Who's that then?
CUSTOMER: I don't know.
MORTICIAN: Must be a king.
CUSTOMER: Why?
MORTICIAN: He hasn't got shit all over him.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #40
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
It's a horrible disease that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. My grandmother and my aunt both have it now. Watching people you love degenerate from the inside out is sickening. I have my fingers crossed that some kind of genetic patch or stem cell therapy is found in time to save Mr.Pratchett. It won't come soon enough for the people close to me, but he and many others might have a chance.
Ditto. My Dad is in his ninth year of Alzheimer's. I, too, would not wish it upon my worst enemy.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote