Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 04:22 AM   #16
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Just to clarify. I did buy the books directly from Baen (same thing happened to all three). I've bought books from them before and transfered them this way without any problems. Also, I haven't had any trouble from books from other vendors.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As has been said, there's absolutely no reason to use ADE to transfer DRM-free books. You need only use for DRM-protected content.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #18
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Just to throw an idea out there, but does the device have to be registered with ADE before it will copy the book to the device?? ie; unless ADE thinks the device is registered with it, it feels it doesn't have permission to copy files to it?

I strongly suggest ignoring ADE and as others have suggested just copy the book straight to the reader. Can the Kobo download .epub from a web site? Could log into your baen account from the Kobo and download the ebook that way.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Geo-restrictions have nothing to do with DRM. It's when you go to buy the eBook that you are blocked by the site based on where you are at the time of purchase.
Wrong. Or rather, true for purchasing, but there can also be geo restrictions that are enforced with DRM. Believe me, what is currently being done with DRM is trivial compared to the evil that _could_ be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I sightly misread the problem.

I read Baen (title) and assumed that it was bought from some store other than Baenebook.com

3rd parties CAN put DRM or other restrictions on sales they make.
Baen's contracts with other sellers, including Amazon and B&N, require that their books be sold without DRM. So it wouldn't matter where it was bought.

To quote from the details on a Baen book at B&N (though Amazon has EXACTLY the same wording):

"At the publisher's request, this title is sold without DRM (Digital Rights Management)."
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #20
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I've figured it out. Baen's files are zipped when you download them so I was trying to put zipped epubs onto my ereader DOH! Once I unzipped them, there was no problem,
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Ah. That would explain it. It is possible to download files unzipped, but only one at a time. Thanks for letting us know the result!
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
I've figured it out. Baen's files are zipped when you download them so I was trying to put zipped epubs onto my ereader DOH! Once I unzipped them, there was no problem,
If you're using Windows, then enable display of file extensions if you haven't already. The person who thought it a good idea to hide them by default should be shot. (When did they start doing that, btw; XP? Or even earlier?)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If you're using Windows, then enable display of file extensions if you haven't already. The person who thought it a good idea to hide them by default should be shot. (When did they start doing that, btw; XP? Or even earlier?)
The problem with Windows (and DOS) before (vista?) W7 was they treated the filename AND extension as one field unless hidden.
People would rename and blow away the extension (which is how Windows determines what Application to use)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #24
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Shot wouldn't hurt enough. I would begin the treatment with an enema based on some liquids which strength is reported in scoville. Just think how often you had to help out unexperienced users who clicked on some "lookharmless.pdf.exe"
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote