Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Can/does Sony update purchased eBooks?

When I use Napster, it sometimes downloads new versions of songs I already purchased - a while back it updated them all to 192kbps. I didn't have to initiate it, it just happened. Has anyone had an experience where Connect seemed to do that? Just wondering. I think it would be a great value-add for eBooks if they were updated as the publishers fixed typos and stuff. I find mistakes in spelling, grammar, and typesetting to be disruptive when reading. With pBooks there's no recourse - it'll be there next time I read the book.

Taking that idea to the next level, it would be another great feature if you received updates when new editions of a book came out. I'd like such updates to be an optional update to your existing copy or as a second copy, but that would be nice... publishers, knowing you have the old edition, could offer the updated volume at a steep discount... or give you the "new forward by the author for the paperback edition" for free.

Since my $50 credit was used up, I've purchased one book - I bought the hardback in a store (habit - I was even there to buy the cradle for my reader lol), then got home and saw the same book on Connect for 1/2 the price... the pBook will be heading back to the store next trip. I'm sure it'll have updates when the paperback edition comes out in a few months - I'd have paid a little more knowing I would get them, but I certainly won't buy the book again (it's not THAT good).
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:15 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I believe that if they update/correct the copy in Connect that you can re-download it and get the change, but it's a totally manual process. I think the optional notices would be nice too.

I downloaded the Star Wars: Dark Nest trilogy and then noticed that they'd added cover art a bit later (they originally had only the generic cover art), so I redownloaded the books and got the covers the second time.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert