Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Nook Glowlight: Have you experienced screen defects?
I have experienced no problems. The screen is perfect. 47 63.51%
I have experienced minor problems but it doesn't bother me. 8 10.81%
I have experienced significant and annoying problems but I can deal with it. 5 6.76%
I have experienced problems significant enough to regret my purchase. 14 18.92%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #16
chrisparker
Connoisseur
chrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchforkchrisparker can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: iPad Air 4, iPad mini 5, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Nook ST Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My question is does anyone have experience of these pin holes and do they get bigger, should I take it back for a replacement now or wait?
I've had this with a Nook ST Glowlight and a Kobo Aura HD. The defect on the Nook happened a few months after I bought it. I noticed the bright pixels on the Aura two or three days after it arrived. Neither screen got worse but I did get them replaced pretty quickly.

B&N in the States replaced my Nook without question, as did WH Smith in the UK last week with the Aura.
chrisparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #17
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
I've had this with a Nook ST Glowlight and a Kobo Aura HD. The defect on the Nook happened a few months after I bought it. I noticed the bright pixels on the Aura two or three days after it arrived. Neither screen got worse but I did get them replaced pretty quickly.

B&N in the States replaced my Nook without question, as did WH Smith in the UK last week with the Aura.

Thanks Christopher. I have spoken to John Lewis and they still have the Simple Touch so I have decided to replace the Glow with the Simple Touch. I only want the Nook for PDFs (I love the PDF reflow) as my Kindle Paperwhite is my main reader. I have the M-Edge clip on light and it works fine with the Nook case.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I am about to get my Nook replaced for the second time due to this:

It looks like screen damage, but if you turn the light off the screen is perfect. This time I know exactly when it happened too. I put the Nook down on my bed for a potty break, came back a minute later, turned the light back on and this was there when it hadn't been there a minute ago. Nook wasn't dropped or handled roughly, and put down on top of a mattress.

Luckily B&N is replacing this, even though I'm a month out of my warranty period, but I think they know there is a big issue with these. I'm just concerned this is going to happen again.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
Agar242
Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Agar242 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook ST, kobo mini
I purchased a nook glowlight after having the original touch for a year or two. At first i thought it was the bees knees, but after having to take it in time and time again for small scratches that would magically appear on the screen while sitting undisturbed in its leather case, I quickly got over it. Every two weeks it was back to best buy to exchange for a new nook glowlight (good thing I bought a warranty). Now, on a non-glow e-ink reader a scratch wouldn't be that much of a big deal, but with a glow screen these small scratches refract the light and you end up with a big brilliant light shining from the scratch; its quite distracting! So after 7 returns I finally gave up! I returned it for good, I'd rather carry a small booklight around then deal with those glow screens.
Agar242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #20
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agar242 View Post
I purchased a nook glowlight after having the original touch for a year or two. At first i thought it was the bees knees, but after having to take it in time and time again for small scratches that would magically appear on the screen while sitting undisturbed in its leather case, I quickly got over it. Every two weeks it was back to best buy to exchange for a new nook glowlight (good thing I bought a warranty). Now, on a non-glow e-ink reader a scratch wouldn't be that much of a big deal, but with a glow screen these small scratches refract the light and you end up with a big brilliant light shining from the scratch; its quite distracting! So after 7 returns I finally gave up! I returned it for good, I'd rather carry a small booklight around then deal with those glow screens.
I believe this problem is unique to the Nook glow screen, and isn't an issue with the Kindle or Kobo units.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #21
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
I believe this problem is unique to the Nook glow screen, and isn't an issue with the Kindle or Kobo units.
Its certainly not an issue with the Kindle, I've had my Paperwhite since September and I love it,

I was worried about this when my first few pin pricks appeared which is why I swapped it for the Simple Touch, at only £29 it was a bargain. I''ve ordered an m-edge case for it as I already have their light.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #22
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
There is a similar poll in the Kindle forum about the PW. I was surprised to see that the poll has returned similar results to this poll. Over 30% of respondents have had cause to return their PWs. Two thirds of that 30% returned them more than once. I was less surprised to see a number of PW owners denying the validity of the poll. Lol. The kobo screen looks to be the safest bet at the moment.

On another note, I picked up a simple touch in the sales and plan to root it and use it as a low-power tablet and reader. It's a nice device though I'm not impressed with the page-turn buttons. I find them very stiff and don't work well with the case. I'm not surprised Nook are getting out of the hardware business. It's a shame. Nook did a lot right with their devices, but let themselves down in places. If the Glo didn't have the faults, I would have bought one. The end of the Nook line is sad news
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #23
neoman4426
neoman4426 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I only got my Glow yesterday, it went straight in a case, I never use a reader naked. I have noticed this morning, three tiny pin holes in the light, nothing major that really affects reading but noticeable. I only have my light on a half brightness and that's when I spotted them. I got mine from John Lewis so it has a two year warrenty.

My question is does anyone have experience of these pin holes and do they get bigger, should I take it back for a replacement now or wait?
In my experience they actually get smaller over time. I have two spots that are barely noticable now a couple months after they were made, and a third very noticable one that was made earlier today when my phone accidentally slipped out of my hand. Hoping it semi repairs over time like the other two do, but luckily it only intersects with a word on the first page of a chapter (at least in this current book, different books may have different padding at the beginning) and every other page it shows between lines, so isn't so bad
neoman4426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
I saw the bad reviews in regards to the screen on the glowlight on B&N website. I was going to ask about it here and I see that someone has already started a thread. I have the original Nook, purchased it when they first came available. It still works great but I wanted 6" ereader with touch and built in light. I came close to purchasing the glowlight until I read the reviews. What I do not understand is why with so many people having the same issue B&N doesn't find a fix. When the original Nook came out there were problems like cracked bezels at the page turn buttons. B&N redesigned the bezel and addressed some others issues in a second generation of the original. I receceived the newer Nook to replace mine because of the cracked bezel issue. I have read dozens of books without any problem. Is it too optimistic to believe B&N will eventually fix the screen poblem? Are they really getting out of the ereader business?
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #25
pcskibum
Skibum
pcskibum began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Nook screen tears

I have replaced 4 Nook glow lights in the past year because of screen tears. I have a protective case and am very careful of the screen. The product is defective and B&N needs to address the problem. My next reader will probably be a Kindle.
pcskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think all of the e-readers with the internal lights have some problems with pin holes, scratches, and light bleeds. The color blobs seem to be something that is based on an individuals light perception based on various responses to pictures posted at the site. There have been many a theory on why this is the case (adding another layer, quality control on the LEDs, over all quality control in Chinese factories is not great).

I have seen people with Kobos, Kindles, and Nooks complain. Most people are happy with their devices but not everyone.

Honestly, I think that you have a stong probablility of being happy with a Nook Glo but there is a chance that there is going to be a problem. I think we can say that for all the lit e-readers.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #27
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskibum View Post
I have replaced 4 Nook glow lights in the past year because of screen tears. I have a protective case and am very careful of the screen. The product is defective and B&N needs to address the problem. My next reader will probably be a Kindle.
My original Nook Glowlight is still like new after a year and has never had these issues. It took me 3 Kindle Paperwhites to get one without pinholes of light leakage. B&N did address this issue & introduced a new Glowlight model a few months ago. I have not read complaints so far that it suffers from the same tears as the old model. I have the new model, and I like it better than the old model. Although, overall I like my Kindle better than the Nook. Good luck with whatever you decide to get next.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #28
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskibum View Post
Seems like a quality control issue, not everyone gets a bad one. My screen is still perfect. I did RMA my original non-glow Nook ST due to sticking page turn buttons though.

I agree with some of the others, the first Kindle owners with the light had a chance of having similar issues.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:56 AM   #29
Larrie
Enthusiast
Larrie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600, PB 360, Ectaco JB, Kindle DX, PRS 950, M90
Mine had all these fine horizontal lines across the screen appearing after the warranty period has expired..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GL.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	117980  
Larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 PM   #30
mentalpix
mentalpix began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Same thing happened to mine

I have three little horizontal 'tears' in my screen as well. I've never handled mine rough or dropped it an it's been in a case/cover since I got it as a gift this past Christmas. The last tear appeared when I had put it down for a few second to answer the phone, when I picked it back up there it was. The first two are in a horizontal line with each other in the middle of the screen and the other one lower and off to the left. The surface of the screen is blemish-less and if you know where the tears appear when the back-light is on, you can just barely see them otherwise it looks like they are below whatever layer the type is on and above the light emitting layer. They look like someone took a paring knife and poke them through, though why the layer would tear like this I have no idea.

Called 800-THE-BOOK which is their support line and they are going to send me a replacement under warranty. We'll see if that holds up better.
mentalpix is offline   Reply With Quote