Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Accessorizing my KFHD 8.9"

I got this after the price drop. I've been pleasantly surprised despite high expectations. It's very comfortable to hold, but I need to get something to prop it up for viewing movies. In my search for a case, I stumbled across the Belkin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio Case. It has good reviews. This got me looking for other BT keyboards and, apparently, there are many. And some mice. This Ionic Bluetooth Keyboard Tablet Stand Leather Case which also has good reviews and is less expensive and this Bear Motion case.

Then there is the Logitech 920-003390 which is compatible and highly rated and comes with a stand for the Fire, but is not a case -- IOW something extra to carry around.

We have nice, zippered rook cases for most of our Fires, but I got a plastic Marware case for mine. Wife prefers the Roo case since she uses it as a clutch, but the marware slides into my back pocket. When my kid's Fire was starting to fail, we took it out of the case and he used it that way.

Anyone have recommendations for keyboards or cases?

The FireHD does not come with a charger. When I plug it into my PC's usb port, it warns that the low power charger may not charge the FireHD when in use and will charge slowly. When I plug it into my KF1 charger, I get no complaints. Anyone have comments/suggestions on charging?

I noticed that QuickOffice Pro has a HD version. Generally, are KF1 apps compatible. When they are not, is there a free upgrade or a discounted upgrade? Just curious. So far, everything has worked.

You can probably tell, I'm a little excited. All your comments were dead on, as usuaul.

Last edited by wizwor; 03-25-2013 at 12:25 PM.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
For my KFHD8.9, I got the OtterBox Defender case. It's very rugged and adds a lot of bulk and weight to the Fire; which is what I want. I got this Fire primarily to stream videos when I'm at home, both indoors and outdoors. I wanted maximum protection in case it takes a spill while I'm lounging outside.

To improve its functionality, I added 1Mobile Market and ADW Launcher. So far, all of the apps I've loaded from both Amazon and 1Mobile work just fine; and I've had no problems with scalability either.

I added 1Mobile to get apps that aren't available on Amazon: like YouTube, Google Maps, Nook, Aldiko, Kobo, etc. This app store is easy to add. Just go to its website on the Fire's browser and download the APK directly to the tablet. No computer or cables needed.

I added ADW Launcher (from 1Mobile) because I most thoroughly despise the Fire's carousel and its total lack of anything even remotely resembling app organization. With ADW, I get a stock Android layout and can easily organize my apps into folders.

Neither of these additions require root and the Fire is still stock. All in all, I'm very pleased with this tablet-case-market-launcher combo.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-25-2013 at 08:26 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thank you
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
wizwor
Wizard

I ended up getting the Bear Motion folio cover with BT keyboard. So far, so good.