Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
What are you waiting for? It's six bucks at Webscriptions, no DRM.

http://webscriptions.net/p-100-the-d...senarrion.aspx

SWEEEEEET. Didn't know about that. The obvious question though is what devices can I read it on? Can I put it on my Sony Reader? Kindle? Palm? Blackberry?

Searching for answers on the site now.

Thanks Natch!
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:54 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooch View Post
SWEEEEEET. Didn't know about that. The obvious question though is what devices can I read it on? Can I put it on my Sony Reader? Kindle? Palm? Blackberry?

Searching for answers on the site now.

Thanks Natch!
Get the LIT version and use lit2lrf to convert. Or get the RTF and use Book Designer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 02:11 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
SWEEEEEET. Didn't know about that.
How have you been around here for almost a year and missed hearing about Baen's Webscriptions? It comes up about once a week.

I usually go for the RTF and convert it to whatever I need. If I had a Reader that used one of the other formats I'd probably use those, but still download the RTF for archival purposes.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #19
TheMooch
Member Retired

Quote:
How have you been around here for almost a year and missed hearing about Baen's Webscriptions? It comes up about once a week.
LOL I don't spend as much time here as I could....true...I'm usually reading.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #20
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I looked up a few authors I'm interested in, to see if Kindle editions are available yet.

Heinlein - same 5 books available everywhere else.
McCaffrey - looks like a pretty complete lineup - 50 items, same as Fictionwise.
Orson Scott Card - only 4 books, same as Fictionwise.
Garth Nix - 4 books, all available elsewhere - no "Keys to the Kingdom" volumes
Tamora Pierce - only 3 books, same as Fictionwise
Terry Pratchett - 34 titles (No Good Omens!)
Neil Gaiman - 16 books, still no Good Omens
Shannon Hale - none - a "children's" author who has won multiple awards
J.K. Rowling - none (no surprise there)
E. Nesbit - 8 books, presumably all from PG
Steven Brust - none
Tolkein - none
Paolini - both books plus the "limited edition" of Eldest -- what kind of sense does that make???
Asimov - 25 titles, including the Oct/Nov 2003 issue of Asimov SF Magazine
???
P.C. Hodgell - none, good thing Baen has them
Charles de Lint - 6 titles (ok, FW only has 2, Mobipocket has 3 - Kindle is ahead here.)
Jacqueline Wilson - two, not her best (IMHO), same as FW
Meg Cabot - 37 books, some of which say "(MOBI)" in the title - FW has 38
Spider Robinson - none (FW also has none, Baen has only a few)
C.J. Cherryh - 27 books, reasonable coverage, but no Wave Without a Shore - which has just become available via Fictionwise (bringing their total to 28). Woohoo! Guess who gets my money today!

Overall summary: Amazon may boast the largest inventory of e-books, but they don't have significantly more of what I'm looking for than existing vendors... yet. Except for Charles de Lint, who's hard to find in ebooks even on the darknet. So that's something to watch.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
LOL I don't spend as much time here as I could....true...I'm usually reading.
I think you mean that you don't spend as much time here as you should.

Baen is great -- I just wish they published even more books than they do!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #22
TheMooch
Member Retired

Quote:
I think you mean that you don't spend as much time here as you should.

Baen is great -- I just wish they published even more books than they do!
I downloaded the Honor Harringtong Series and converted them just prior to going to China for 3 weeks earlier this year. What a GOOD move. I read of them in the 3 weeks I was in China. My Sony Reader was a definate life saver.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #23
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
One real advantage to me that the Kindle Store offers is the NEW books being offered at $9.99 each.

I'm PO'd that SonyConnect store wants approx. $25 for the new Clive Cussler books and yet I can buy the same book in hardback at COSTCO for approx. $16!! How can this be?

Sony doesn' seem to be interested in increasing readership through lower prices than hard or paperback novels.

I'd be tempted to get the Kindle just for the cheaper prices. I suspect that as time goes by someone will code a converter that allows the file to be converted to another format. I'd like that to permit me the option to read any book I've bought on any reader I own.

Red
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Amazon bears the price difference. It loses money on every bestseller sold. I guess that's something Sony isn't prepared to do.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I've been told from various ebook shops, the publisher sets the price, but the stores. Yes, they could lose money lowering the price, but is that really a good idea?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 08:20 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what I've been told from various ebook shops, the publisher sets the price, but the stores. Yes, they could lose money lowering the price, but is that really a good idea?
Time will tell. Loss leaders are known techniques. It is a good reason to have a DRM that can't be used on any device where you didn't make the profit for the device. Of course, pricing models could change down the road.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 PM   #27
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
The publishers sell to distributors at a discounted price. I.e., the big box retailers get the books at 40% off. Wal-mart and book clubs get them at a higher discount rate, but I don't know how high. Each retailer can then set a price.

i.e., because of the numerous markdowns of the Harry Potter book it was reported that no retailer actually made money on the sale of the Potter book.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 PM   #28
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
Quote:
What are you waiting for? It's six bucks at Webscriptions, no DRM.
Indeed. I have been reading tons of that on my Sony. Gladly, I can now re-download all of these again (as BAEN lets you do that) in unencrypted Mobi and put them on the Kindle. This is perhaps the main reason I ordered it today. If I had NOT been able to put BAEN stuff on there, I would not have ordered one.

Maybe that should tell Amazon something.....
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 AM   #29
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
They are probably losing money on the current releases where they've already negotiated the price but betting for future releases they have enough clout to get a better price on the ebook edition. The publishers have a weak case to charge the same price for ether editions that they do for pulp. I would guess they've already negotiated better prices with some publishers and others haven't agreed to it yet.

I'm sure Amazon is used to selling off some books at a loss (hard cover editions that didn't sell) so selling some current releases at a loss wouldn't be that bitter of a pill to swallow. It's not likely to be a long term business strategy though.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #30
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Bezos stated in the interview with Newsweek that he is losing money on the New York Times Bestsellers and new releases by selling them at $9.99 US but he can do this indefinitely because "We have a lot of experience in low-margin and high-volume sale—you just have to make sure the mix [between discounted and higher-priced items] works."

I buy plenty of stuff off of Amazon all the time because of the convenience factor. I'd rather spend a few dollars more than schlep from store to store looking for a particular item. I buy almost all my pbooks from them because I can't stand the idea of paying retail for a book at a chain bookstore. *If* there were any small local bookstores near me, I would patronize one of them.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote