Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Iphone 5 spec's

Stupid me, looked like it was new but it was just a visited web page by Digital trends.

Last edited by The Terminator; 08-29-2011 at 12:34 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The link doesn't look like the real deal, T. It appears to go to a blog post from 2010. Unless I'm missing something.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
LOL, that article was from January, 2010! So you think that's more realistic than the latest guesses?
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
No specs, but interesting carrier information from USAToday.

I want to see monthly prices drop, not the handset price, btw.

Quote:
The iPhone 4, now offered through AT&T and Verizon Wireless, will be available to Sprint customers, too, says Forrester Research analyst Charles Golvin. Apple needed to broaden the iPhone's base because of the growing dominance of smartphones based on Google's Android operating system, sold by the four major carriers.
Quote:
"Android became so big because people shopped at their local carriers for a smartphone with a touch-screen that could play apps," he says. "Android was what was there, so they bought it. They couldn't get the iPhone."

Beyond the new iPhone, dubbed the iPhone 5 by analysts and Apple watchers, Golvin expects Sprint and Verizon to sell the existing iPhone 4 at a discount when the new model arrives. "The iPhone 4 could be $49, and in the future, as low as $29," he predicts.
Quote:
"We'll see a lot of families switching to the iPhone on Sprint." Sprint didn't respond to requests for comment; Apple declined to comment.

Doherty expects the new iPhone to be a "little thinner, with better battery life, and improved camera."
http://optimus.usatoday.com/#news-50165308
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I'm on Sprint and may consider the iPhone 5 if/when it's available.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I want to see monthly prices drop, not the handset price, btw.
Agree; I want to see monthly data charges drop to $0. If they do that, then I'm in for an Android phone. If not, then I'll continue to use the data-free iPod touch.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Beyond the new iPhone, dubbed the iPhone 5 by analysts and Apple watchers, Golvin expects Sprint and Verizon to sell the existing iPhone 4 at a discount when the new model arrives. "The iPhone 4 could be $49, and in the future, as low as $29," he predicts.
That's meaningless if people still have to pay $15 to $30 per month for a data plan. Over a two year contract, that amounts to an additional $360 to $720 dollars tacked onto the price of the phone. So the $49 AT&T iPh4 is really $409 and the $49 Verizon iPh4 is really $769. Some bargain
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I do not see the iPhone 4 being on Sprint. I mean the 3gs was never brought over to Verizon, they just rolled out the 4. It would cost them more to create the 4 for Sprint, due to different chipsets being needed. What I see happening is 5 being released for AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon, and 4 being sold at discount at Verizon and AT&T. Then in a year when 6 is being released, 5 will be on discount at all of the carriers.

Apple isn't needing to fight Android that badly, that it would be willing to create a brand new $50 version for a new carrier. It just wouldn't be worth it. People will flock to iPhone on sprint fast enough with a $200 release.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Agree; I want to see monthly data charges drop to $0. If they do that, then I'm in for an Android phone. If not, then I'll continue to use the data-free iPod touch.
Data plan costs are just ridiculous imo (just from my point of view). $90 per month cell phone plan? No thank you.

Fortunately I'm on my sister's corporate family account and get unlimited data/voice/text for $20 per month, total. It rocks. Hurry up Sprint/Apple. But otherwise I wouldn't consider a smartphone.

Quote:
I do not see the iPhone 4 being on Sprint.
I know it hasn't been confirmed, but it looks to be very likely at this point. Edit: oh you were saying not both 4 and 5. I see your point, but word on the street is they will. Still a good point though.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 08-29-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
yeah, we pay $30 each a month for unlimited data plans. Booo! It would be higher but we've the same data plans from several years ago before charging high$$ for data got to be AT&Ts latest thing.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard

From what I've gathered, here are some of the unsubstantiated rumors regarding specs:

-thinner. duh.
-A5 cpu (as in iPad 2)
-OLED display, possibly increased in size to 3.7", while overall bezel size will actually be smaller.
-metal back instead of glass.
-no "Home" button. Completely gesture based.
-All new kind of proprietary glass used for display.
-8mp cam with dual flash.
-customizable widgets
-some kind of fancy new near-field tech.
-edible

Last edited by OtterBooks; 08-29-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
From what I've gathered, here are some of the unsubstantiated rumors regarding specs:

-thinner. duh.
-A5 cpu (as in iPad 2)
-OLED display, possibly increased in size to 3.7", while overall bezel size will actually be smaller.
-metal back instead of glass.
-no "Home" button. Completely gesture based.
-All new kind of proprietary glass used for display.
-8mp cam with dual flash.
-some kind of fancy new near-field tech.
-edible
The rest of those are entirely plausible, but I'm not sure about the A5 CPU.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The US is so far behind the UK and EU in terms of cell phones it's not funny. The US needs to get in line. a pay as you go phone is still a plan in the US as you have to pay at least so much a month for it. In the UK, you buy a sim with credit and you don't have to top it up until it's used up or close to being used up.

The US is living in the cell phone stone age.

We pay more and get less.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The US is so far behind the UK and EU in terms of cell phones it's not funny. The US needs to get in line. a pay as you go phone is still a plan in the US as you have to pay at least so much a month for it. In the UK, you buy a sim with credit and you don't have to top it up until it's used up or close to being used up.
That's true for voice calling, but data is expensive on a pay-as-you-go plan. If you're a regular data user, a monthly plan is normally much cheaper. I get 1GB/month for £10 (about $16), but even though I use my iPhone for browsing the web pretty much all day, I don't think I've ever used as much as 300MB in a month.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #15
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I'll be pretty surprised if they go OLED right now.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote