Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
- The main menu (home, library, shop, search, settings) should also include a "reading now" button. When I go into the Settings menu when reading a book, I can't get back to what I'm reading without going to "home" and then "reading now" (ok, that's pretty picky).
There is a button on the status bar (looks like a book) to go back to the book you are reading, similar to the nookColor.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I heard it wont run my bath water Nor will it start my car. Worthless but maybe in the next update?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
There is a button on the status bar (looks like a book) to go back to the book you are reading, similar to the nookColor.
Another good tip is that you can swipe left on the status bar (like near the battery icon) as a "back button" to return to previous activities. It took people awhile to figure out this short-cut on the NC, and it is very useful. However, it's actually documented in the STR manual.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I would expect them to use similar templates for both the NC & STR for user convenience but was hoping they'd make a few updates of common complaints. They also probably haven't fixed my irritation with the lack of multi-level TOC on the NC. I assume the STR has this issue as well.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Fortunately the multi-level TOC works in the Nook for Android app, but it looks terrible. I would like to see level two headings indented to the left a bit of the level 1 headings. Currently it shows a single hypen in front of level 1 headings and a double hyphen in front of level 2 headings. They look like this:

Code:
-Level 1 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
-Level 1 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
--Level 2 Heading
Looks like a crappy text file. You would think a huge book store could do a better job than this. It should look like this:

Code:
Level 1 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
Level 1 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
   Level 2 Heading
   Level 2 Heading

Last edited by jswinden; 06-05-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Text Selection

Checked out the demo again and the same bug from the Color carried over.

Once you select text, you're unable to drag the cursor to the left to select additional text. Haven't confirmed it on mine yet.

Last edited by SCION; 06-06-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Typo
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #21
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Here's a quibble. Before you have someone (employee) help potential customers with a device, make sure that they are somewhat trained on the device. I went and tried out the Nook Touch today at my B&N store. For the life of me I could not find the buttons. So I asked the employee who was trying to sell it to me where the buttons were. He told me that this was a pure touchscreen and it didn't have any buttons. At about the same time, I figured out where the were and showed the clerk. I told him that indeed it did and this was one of the big selling points. Then I commenced to show the clerk how to use the buttons. How they can be changed at the user's discretion, etc. They should pay me!

Just train your employees, B&N! You might make more sales.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #22
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I did a demo today too, and wasn't really blown away by it. The physical page turn buttons take too much pressure to depress, but I've been used to the easy turns on the Kindle 3. Then I checked out a clearance Sony PRS-950 at Best Buy for $199, more real estate, good build, but I didn't realize it doesn't do tap page turns, only swipe and buttons. Then I found the Kobo Touch isn't being sold in the US until at least July 30, even my Nook Touch might even arrive by then. Oh the eink woes, can't anyone make a truly great device? I guess I'll have to wait for Amazon's answer to touch, although I fear they're focusing more on their tablet now.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:07 PM   #23
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
I did a demo today too, and wasn't really blown away by it. The physical page turn buttons take too much pressure to depress, but I've been used to the easy turns on the Kindle 3. Then I checked out a clearance Sony PRS-950 at Best Buy for $199, more real estate, good build, but I didn't realize it doesn't do tap page turns, only swipe and buttons. Then I found the Kobo Touch isn't being sold in the US until at least July 30, even my Nook Touch might even arrive by then. Oh the eink woes, can't anyone make a truly great device? I guess I'll have to wait for Amazon's answer to touch, although I fear they're focusing more on their tablet now.
I love the Touch. I just would have preferred if the guy trying to sell it to me had a little more knowledge about it. I changed the page three ways. I swiped, tapped, and push the button. IMO I think that the page turning is covered on it.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:38 AM   #24
Oogami
Oogami began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
One bug that I noticed which is really annoying, if I'm reading a book off of the SD card, plug the USB reader to my computer. Transfer some files, unmount the Nook and SD card reader and then unplug the USB cable.

About 50% of the time, it will blank the books I have listed in "My Shelves" I've had to repopulate those shelves like 3 times now.

The work around is to not have a book loaded that's from an SD card when you plug the USB cable in to sync. I usually have it on the home page or the Library page.

Just FYI for those who read a lot from their SD cards.
Oogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #25
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's really no reason not to expect a reasonable file management system on an eInk device. Many do have them: Bookeen, Pocketbook, and BeBook/Onyx among them. On all these devices you can create and delete folders, copy, move, and delete files, etc. It's always slightly irritated me that the "big name" devices don't provide these facilities. The Kindle and Sony allow you to delete files, but that's it.
This is not quite right. Sony does allow you to create new collections on the device.

Collections --->Options ---> New Collection
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
This is not quite right. Sony does allow you to create new collections on the device.

Collections --->Options ---> New Collection
True, and so does the Kindle. But I'd make a distinction between collections and file management. Collections are simply tags in a database; they aren't manipulating files, which is why I didn't mention them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:12 AM   #27
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Checked out the demo again and the same bug from the Color carried over.

Once you select text, you're unable to drag the cursor to the left to select additional text. Haven't confirmed it on mine yet.
Confirmed.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
umaxtuk
umaxtuk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Reader
I don't like the limit on sideloading content
umaxtuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #29
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoshka View Post
5) Reader awards section--my reading has fallen off with all the tablet temptations (cue cackling angry birds), this takes me back to third grade, getting gold stars for finishing books, and all the reading achievement stats would give me motivation, I hope.
I seriously chewed my lip over a Kobo. I finally decided not to buy, but it was a HUGE temptation. And the Reader Awards was 100% of the drive. I don't know why, but I just LOVE the idea. It's like it stimulates my Pokemon gene.

It's also a really clever way of tracking reading habits, which I really really really like the idea of. But I just couldn't plunk down for a "no-button" device. Ah well.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #30
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
Once you select text, you're unable to drag the cursor to the left to select additional text.
And on mine, it locked up the Touch entirely, after I tried to page-turn to get rid of the selection. Had to do a full power-off reset.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote