Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #106
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
One of the ideas I had heard mentioned on other Kindle collection manager threads was allowing the ability to specify a list of collection names to be "preserved". So you read the json file, and throw away any not on the "preserved" list.
Now that sounds reasonable. I had the same thoughts about creating a current reading list since the sort by most recent bugged me. This would probably be easy to implement (especially compared to supporting GUI customization - thank you for you example code!!! ) as the json file is simple to read and parse for this, and using the GUI I can add a field easily.

The issue with fully integrating the collections would mean reading files, parsing pathnames, etc. I know this code exists in one of the collection scripts so it could be done - I just haven't been interested in doing it yet.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #107
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Now that sounds reasonable. I had the same thoughts about creating a current reading list since the sort by most recent bugged me. This would probably be easy to implement (especially compared to supporting GUI customization - thank you for you example code!!! ) as the json file is simple to read and parse for this, and using the GUI I can add a field easily.
Cool, would be great to see the feature in, it's been one of the reasons I have held off trying it. Another has been waiting to see if you will release the GUI version avoiding the need for tweaks. Just on that, if you need any help let me know although I am sure if you got this far you just need time to get the rest done.

EDIT: Missed your v1.2 post with a GUI so you clearly got up and running, well done. Will take a look at it later.

BTW if you send me a PM with your email I will send you something I was thinking of posting on the "Introduction to plugins" thread. It is a full example plugin template for a "Foo Example" plugin with a gui configuration dialog, custom icons, JSON file, split file architecture etc. Basically a stripped down version of any of my recent plugins with a bunch of TODOs for what you need to change. I'd be interested in your feedback as to how useful it is. Not that I am in any way a Python guru to be suggesting to others how to write their code but the important stuff has come from other developers who do know what they are doing
Quote:
The issue with fully integrating the collections would mean reading files, parsing pathnames, etc. I know this code exists in one of the collection scripts so it could be done - I just haven't been interested in doing it yet.
I can't blame you for not rushing into that drama of merging with existing collections I think a warning on screen could be sufficient. So if you find a collection on the preserve list conflicts with what you have created, tell the user that "your" collection will overwrite the Kindle one unless they Cancel and rename the one on the Kindle itself and update their preserve list. One day you might support merging the two but I think that is a complication that is not required - I think it is a "reasonable" limitation that if I have a collection say for an author that all those books must be in Calibre.

Last edited by kiwidude; 02-03-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #108
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:

another vote for a way to preserve some existing collections (id with special prefix...) after running the plug-in.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #109
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I like what you have done with the GUI addition, and I too am looking for a way to preserve the previous collections.

EDIT: Question: How do I get the Clippings file to go into the special collection??
Old 02-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #110
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Wishes some times come ...

@meme
Fully understand your design/idea that all is managed by Calibre.

Have some vacation coming up soon, so will do the backup rutine, and try out your plugin.

I'm currious about the books not transferred by Calibre, but expect they'll always be placed outside Collections.
Hope the "merge" collections idea is possible, and will be implemented, and I would like to help, however my programing skill's are not up to this.
Any other help I could provide, you got it.
Thanks, and have a nice weekend All !
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #111
radioactivetoy
radioactivetoy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I can get it to work, i'm getting this error:

error: unpack_from requires a buffer of at least 8 bytes
calibre, version 0.7.44
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>error</b>:unpack_from requires a buffer of at least 8 bytes

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\nestor\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C reate Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 1012, in create_kindle_collections
File "C:\Users\nestor\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C reate Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 503, in create_kindle_collections_main
File "C:\Users\nestor\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C reate Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 320, in process_book
File "C:\Users\nestor\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C reate Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 531, in __init__
File "C:\Users\nestor\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C reate Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 622, in __init__
Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #112
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll update to 0.7.44 and retest it under Windows.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #113
meme
Sigil developer

I usually test under Ubuntu 10.10, currently with 0.7.43. I just checked and it worked fine on Windows Vista with 0.7.42 and on 0.7.44 after upgrading. The space between C and r in Create is a bit odd.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 PM   #114
dirkiet
dirkiet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
meme, this looks absolutely wonderful. Thank you for the effort!

Please forgive me if I sound stupid, but I just can't figure this out.

1. Where would I find the collections.json file. I looked in the Program files and on the Kindle without success? I ended up skipping the backup step. It wasn't the end of the world in since I was very happy to mess up my collections to try and get your plugin to work.

2. I set the plugin up as per your instructions. Even followed the picture. Tested the plugin with 5 books resulting in 11 collections based on (as far as I could ascertain) Series name, Author and Tags. Great so far...

I then changed the columns by just ticking the series criteria but it didn't change the collections on the Kindle. From what I understand it should of changed the collections on the Kindle?

Is there a way to setup the collections by: Author - Series name? No tags or funny things like that.

Some input will truly be appreciated.

Using Win7 x64, Calibre 0.7.44, no tweaks and 1 other plugin (Search the internet)
Ejected and rebooted the Kindle after each attempt. Also restarted Calibre between attempts.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #115
waller4343
Enthusiast
waller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle DX, K3, iPad
I'm sure you hear this a lot - but this is a great feature for Calibre. Thanks!

I have seen some collection programs for the Kindle, even tried a couple, but they seem to lack something. I downloaded non-GUI version and it worked fine. Then I notice a GUI update a couple days later. This version is fantastic. I have been playing with my collections and getting no reading done. I must have changed my collections 10 times so far. It is just fun to use.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #116
terra.nocuus
terra.nocuus began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactivetoy View Post
I can't get it to work, i'm getting this error:

calibre, version 0.7.44
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>error</b>:unpack_from requires a buffer of at least 8 bytes

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\nestor\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C reate Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 1012, in create_kindle_collections
File "C:\Users\nestor\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C reate Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 503, in create_kindle_collections_main
File "C:\Users\nestor\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C reate Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 320, in process_book
File "C:\Users\nestor\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C reate Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 531, in __init__
File "C:\Users\nestor\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\C reate Kindle Collections.zip\create_kindle_collections_code.py" , line 622, in __init__
I'm getting this error as well. Windows 7 Ultimate, Calibre 0.7.44, Plugin version 1.2. I tried "run as administrator" on calibre, received same error.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:22 AM   #117
radioactivetoy
radioactivetoy began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra.nocuus View Post
I'm getting this error as well. Windows 7 Ultimate, Calibre 0.7.44, Plugin version 1.2. I tried "run as administrator" on calibre, received same error.
I solved it. Did a debug run and the error always was while reading the tags on the same book. I deleted this book and it worked.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #118
purple mink
purple mink began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by terra.nocuus View Post

Also getting the same error..........
Old 02-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #119
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
The ability to put dictionaries in collections is a work in progress. Its a bit of a kludge but it works find for the 2 UK dictionaries I have. I need to get more codes for dictionaries (or even applications - I'd like to try these) to expand the defaults and to see if its worth allowing them to be customized outside the code. If you can help collect codes for me I'd appreciate it. The books/apps I need are the ones that don't show up in the Kindle's directory structure so can't be put into collections in the normal way.
I support your kludgery and here is my contribution: 5 games and the 2 dictionaries included with US Kindles.

Games:

Name (Publisher) Hashcode
Triple Town (Sly Fox) #B0045XUX7I^AZW2
Blackjack (Amazon) #B004DWLGGS^AZW2
Shuffled Row (Amazon) #B003P38AAG^AZW2
Every Word (Amazon) #B003P37FW0^AZW2
Mine Sweeper (Amazon) #B003P3BCVA^AZW2

US Dictionaries:

New Oxford American Dictionary *9e97434880f115813437c1910b6dba7398c12e52
Oxford Dictionary of English *e5bf751aa86b6fea49a055d463e97e12d3175182

Edited to add one more game: Video Poker (Amazon?) #B004C6S25I^AZW2

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 02-06-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #120
vicaet
vicaet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Ipad 3
I wanted to thank you for this great plugin. I installed it on my Windows 7 machine using Calibre 0.7.44 and plugin v 1.2. I had already created a custom tag "kindle" as text column to put the individual category name I wanted a book to show up under. I got things installed, ran it and everything worked cleanly from the first use. THANK YOU!

One note I wanted to make based on my usage and not sure it was clear from the instructions - when customizing the plugin and looking for custom columns, the plugin is only reading the books on device rather than what's in your library. I had completely cleared my Kindle and was "re-initializing" it so when I first plugged it in, I had none of my calibre managed books there and my custom column didn't show up as an available option to create collection from. Once I copied over my books and then went to customize, my custom column was there.
Closed Thread