Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
jules_july
The Green Reader!
jules_july doesn't litterjules_july doesn't litter

Device: The Green Reader Pocketbook
Exclamation The Green Reader UK launches new e-reader

Hello,

www.greenreader.co.uk has launched PocketBook 302 Cookie today.

I know, I know - we are not the first but go there and have a look at our price.

I can also predict many questions - you are welcome to ask it here, please do not feel offended if I won't reply immediately - I just wish sometimes I could be a three headed Siva
jules_july is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 05:58 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules_july View Post
I can also predict many questions - you are welcome to ask it here
Does the touch screen affect the contrast or sharpness of the eInk screen?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
jules_july
The Green Reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
When e-ink devices came out they cost a coupla hundred quid. A year ago that changed radically and they averaged a coupla hundred quid. Thank God we can now buy one for a coupla hundred quid.

What an age we live in.
Hm....I understand And what about Macs? Or is this an exclusive device?I bet it is - no doubts

But I send you my greetings - my new sarcastic friend! Are you British? (English by any chance?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
jules_july
The Green Reader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Does the touch screen affect the contrast or sharpness of the eInk screen?
No, it does not. But the screen of 302 PocketBook is a bit glossy and there is an option to put Antireflexfoil - to prevent this glossiness - which had got an impact onto the sharpness and the contrast.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
jules_july
The Green Reader!

Right. Some serious business about the prices. There is one company so far which produces e-enk screens, and the name is - PVI - all screens for all e-readers come from them.

World! Hello! Give us a bit more of competitors in this industry - and we will make the price lower.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I saw these in the book fair. They were nothing different from any of the other ones. I think most book readers are over price esp if you consider what they are made from . When I want to spend that sort of money on a book reader you want something that feels comfortable to hold pleasing to look at and do the job . Well most of them fall down on the quality and the looks. This is not one one that I felt deserved its price . Their are quite a few now on the market and the fast majority are made in China and some in Russia.
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I find it amusing that there is exactly one topic on the first page of this forum whose poster has seen fit to distinguish his post above all others by the use of a post icon, and that it is in fact a warning symbol. The irony is delicious.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
jules_july
The Green Reader!

I like irony. There is a cultural difference as well - I would use an exclamation mark to draw your attention to ...mm..myself Anyway, I do appreciate your comments. In my opinion not only irony is delicious but the choice as well. And the world is mine. Because I have got that choice. Even with e-readers!
Old 05-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The exclamation-point-in-a-triangle is a warning sign in international use.

You'll note several examples of it in this vendor's offerings of signage:
http://www.safetysignsupplies.co.uk/...-warning-signs

Normally, in a forum setting, that would be used for news like "Such-and-such an ebook reader's battery will catch fire if you use the wrong charger", not "my company is selling an ebook reader." (actually, most people don't use icons at all)

Is that a good price for an ebook reader over on your side of the Big Wet Spot? That would be kind of steep over here. You can buy a Sony PRS-300 for less than half of that. Even a 600 or a Kindle 2 is $100 cheaper (er, £67 or so, to y'all who weigh your money).

I thought the bit about "a few milligrams per book" was clever. Since I'm in the process of moving, which involves something on the order of a metric ton of dead trees books, that's one reason why I love my ereader. However, it would be a nice thing to be straightforward with your customers and say it reads DRM-restricted books, not DRM-protected books. That's kind of a pet peeve of mine.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:34 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules_july View Post
Hello, www.greenreader.co.uk has launched PocketBook 302 Cookie today.
The website is down.
Why is it green? I prefer black or silver.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
jules_july
The Green Reader!

web site is ok. working. why green? - because the project the greenreader is a green project.
302 is either grey-ish or black.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Code:
PocketBook™ e-readers

* “E-paper” technology, non-emitting screen.

* Adjustable character size and typeface.

* Month of usage without recharge.

* You can read both Adobe DRM-protected and DRM-free e-books.

* File formats supported: fb2(.zip), txt, pdf, djvu, rtf, html, prc, chm, epub, doc, tcr.

* 2.5Gb accessible memory included (“301 Comfort” model): that’s thousands of books, probably more than you can ever read.

* Plays MP3 music and audio books (all 301 and 302 models).

* Read in your language: all Latin, Cyrillic, Greek, Hebrew characters are supported. If your alphabet is missing, just install the font: it’s an open system.

* Works with Windows, Mac OS, Linux.

* Weighs only 175g (few milligrams per book: compare to your library :-)
Not a word about screen size?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #14
hca2000
hca2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox, Bebook Mini, HTC Desire, Ipad, Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Is that a good price for an ebook reader over on your side of the Big Wet Spot? That would be kind of steep over here. You can buy a Sony PRS-300 for less than half of that. Even a 600 or a Kindle 2 is $100 cheaper (er, £67 or so, to y'all who weigh your money).
Do the prices you mention include VAT or sales tax? In Europe prices normally include VAT.

For a 6" E-reader, including touchscreen and wi-fi, in Europe the price seem fair enough - perhaps even a bargain.
If I understand the site correct the price include VAT and shipping at the current price of €235.

Compared to a similar device, Bebook Neo, bought at Bebooks own site, the price is €299 plus VAT and shipping. Shipping within Europe is probably something like €10 to €15 and VAT somewhere around 17-19% on top of the listed sales price.

I am not entirely convinced that the screen glare is within tolerable levels, but if I didn't already have an Onyx Boox I would at least consider the Pocketbook 302 as a fairly good alternative.
hca2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 05:58 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote