Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
cod123
cod123 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
Onyx M92 and RSS

Hi,

I just bought an M92, hoping that besides ebooks and pdfs, I might also be able to read my beloved Google Reader through the browser.

Alas, the browser/Google reader is unworkable. It is far too slow to load the Reader, and scrolling in the reader is nigh impossible.

The integrated RSS reader is fine as far as it goes, but without synchronization with Google Reader, it does not have much value for me. An RSS reader like feeddemon for the M92 would be a huge improvement, at least for me.
cod123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cod123 View Post
Hi,

I just bought an M92, hoping that besides ebooks and pdfs, I might also be able to read my beloved Google Reader through the browser.

Alas, the browser/Google reader is unworkable. It is far too slow to load the Reader, and scrolling in the reader is nigh impossible.

The integrated RSS reader is fine as far as it goes, but without synchronization with Google Reader, it does not have much value for me. An RSS reader like feeddemon for the M92 would be a huge improvement, at least for me.
Note. I don't use RSS myself but I believe I saw somewhere a solution for RSS.. Will try to look for it
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 11:18 PM   #3
cod123

Thanks.

I actually merged all my RSS-feeds (approx. 70) into one RSS feed, and added this one RSS feed in the Onyx RSS app. But that just resulted in a complete freeze of the reader every time I tried to update the RSS feeds. Smaller feeds seemed to work ok(ish).

If the M92 is having so much trouble updating an RSS feed via the wireless network, maybe it is better to try connecting the RSS reader on Onyx with a desktop version of the same program and sync via USB/memory card. Just a suggestion.

But as it stands now, the M92 is completely useless to read RSS feeds. That is a big, big drawback for me.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:39 AM   #4
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
I use M92 for reading rss feeds every morning.
I don't sync to google reader. Some rss feeds don't work at all. Sometimes device freezes (even if the feeds are working).

The trick is to play with the stick up and down or charge the M92 while updating feeds.
If you have a wlan-router look at the lamps.
When updating feeds M92 just does nothing until you make an input or charge it.
Maybe its some kind of power-save state.

I know it sounds crazy. But try it.

Another hint: Never exit rss reader on back button. Even if it closes the app the device is not working properly (slow, hangs,...) till new restart.
Always klick on the button in top left corner.
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
cod123

Thanks a lot for the hints, will try them out.
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
naravive
Enthusiast
naravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle, Boox M92
Hey, where is the integrated RSS reader? I can't find it on my m92...
naravive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
cod123

The RSS reader is in applications.

I now tried to use just 7 individual RSS feeds. That works well.

Problem now: some feeds are downloaded completely, to read offline (I hope, haven't tried, but they are in the reader as full texts), some feeds just include the headline and link (even though I only selected RSS feeds that transport full texts to Google Reader). Very strange. Any ideas?
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

rss reader

rss reader is not listed in applications, but i think its in /opt/onyx/arm/bin/rss_reader.oar
just make a file like rss.oar, copy this into it
#!/bin/sh
sh /opt/onyx/arm/bin/rss_reader.oar (maybe #!/bin/sh rss_reader.oar also works)

here you can download app
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjp1ja5u1e...feedreader.oar
Old 10-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
cod123

In my M92, it is next to Sudoku in "applications".
Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
naravive
Enthusiast
naravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle, Boox M92
In my m92, it isn't there in the applications folder. cod, which firmware edition do you have (I haven't yet updated to 1.8).

crazydog, are you saying I should make a notepad file with the text you show, then save that to my sd card, and then the app will show up in applications?
naravive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
cod123

As far as I can see, it is 1.7
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
cod123

Ok, having experimented with RSS some more, it doesn't get much better. The device freezes completely almost every time I try to update the feeds.

What is good, though, is that it seems to download the content for offline use even if the content does not appear when you click on the RSS feed. Clicking on the headline of the individual posts will do.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #13
crazydog
error

@ naravive: with entering the text in notepad and saving to sd card will just open the application. it will not create an application icon.
I just create a shortcut to the file I uploaded to dropbox or make a shortcut to the file with #!/bin/sh... in it

@cod123: yeah I know your problem . I have nooo idea why things like that happen.
I don't know what you are interested in, but try this feed
http://www.popsci.com/full-feed/
now if you leave the last / , it won't work. So carefully enter url's.
Maybe you should not sync with google reader but enter links in rss_reader settings? I know it's painfull.

There is something misterious with the application icon. I had the icon with 1.7.xxxxx - i can't remember exactly. I did not pay attention.
So cod123 be happy you have the icon and don't update- or keep your old update.zip.
The easiest way to get the icon would be to extract the icon from your update file and always put it into new update files on our own before updating

or someone contacts Booxtor about the lost icon. I'm sure he can fix it in 2minutes.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #14
cod123

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydog View Post
@ naravive: with entering the text in notepad and saving to sd card will just open the application. it will not create an application icon.
I just create a shortcut to the file I uploaded to dropbox or make a shortcut to the file with #!/bin/sh... in it

@cod123: yeah I know your problem . I have nooo idea why things like that happen.
I don't know what you are interested in, but try this feed
http://www.popsci.com/full-feed/
now if you leave the last / , it won't work. So carefully enter url's.
Maybe you should not sync with google reader but enter links in rss_reader settings? I know it's painfull.

There is something misterious with the application icon. I had the icon with 1.7.xxxxx - i can't remember exactly. I did not pay attention.
So cod123 be happy you have the icon and don't update- or keep your old update.zip.
The easiest way to get the icon would be to extract the icon from your update file and always put it into new update files on our own before updating

or someone contacts Booxtor about the lost icon. I'm sure he can fix it in 2minutes.
Thanks. Actually, I am using just simple RSS feeds of blogs, I have given up on trying to go via Google Reader. Thanks for the hint with the "/", maybe that is part of the problem for one feed that never updated. But the other feeds did update once, but since then the RSS always freezes. I will open a new thread for a new problem I have with .epub
Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
cod123

Ok, if I just activate each RSS feed one by one, it works slightly better, which means, the M92 only freezes at every 3rd attempt. But really, it is unworkable.

In my view, a proper RSS reader that syncs with Google Reader and is stable would be a huge plus, also for other customers that use Google Reader on a daily basis.