Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Unhappy with font sizes available for NST

I'm unhappy with the fonts sizes for the Nook Simple Touch. They go directly from too small, to way too large, with nothing in between. I was wondering if there was any (not too difficult) way to add more font sizes onto the device? I'm afraid I'm not too tech savvy with some things, so if it is very complex than I might not be able to do it.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
You can embed fonts in the ePub. See here.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I'm unhappy with the fonts sizes for the Nook Simple Touch. They go directly from too small, to way too large, with nothing in between. I was wondering if there was any (not too difficult) way to add more font sizes onto the device? I'm afraid I'm not too tech savvy with some things, so if it is very complex than I might not be able to do it.
Hi sneakyspider,

Just checking ... the NST has 7 different font sizes that smoothly increase from very small to very large. Are you able to access all 7 sizes on your NST?

Marty
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Hi sneakyspider,

Just checking ... the NST has 7 different font sizes that smoothly increase from very small to very large. Are you able to access all 7 sizes on your NST?

Marty
And to add to that: The different fonts also give slightly differently sized text, so you can also fiddle around with that setting.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some ePubs have embedded fonts and the nook menus don't let you change sizes in those ePubs, could that be the problem?

Whenever I have an ePub like that, I open it up in Calibre (explode) and remove all fonts and references to them.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyspider View Post
I too found the choice of available font sizes to be coarse. However the limitation lies not with the NST per se but with its stock eReader. I no longer have this problem after I rooted my NST and switched to using the Mantano eReader instead: not only does this eReader provide finer-grained choice in font sizes but one can just swipe a finger vertically up or down to switch font size. Also, I can read ebooks/epubs in my native language (which uses latin alphabets with accent/diacritical marks) without messing around with embedding fonts.

Last edited by livramax; 03-08-2013 at 08:00 PM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Some ePubs have embedded fonts and the nook menus don't let you change sizes in those ePubs, could that be the problem?

Whenever I have an ePub like that, I open it up in Calibre (explode) and remove all fonts and references to them.
Are you 100% certain of that? The only reason I'm asking is that on my Nook HD+ I thought I had the same problem until I experimented a little bit. If I have Publisher Defaults on, which I usually prefer, I see the embedded fonts and margins and anything else that's setup in the epub. All of the text size options are grayed out. However, if I turn Publisher Defaults off, I can then set the text size to whatever I want. Then I just go turn the Publisher Defaults back on and my text size option stays.

I realize that an NST is nothing like an HD+ but I thought it may have similar options in this regard. It's worth looking into anyway. I hope this helps in some way.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Are you 100% certain of that?
Yes, at least on the nook touch, with the original software, I haven't had to do that for a while now. The publisher defaults would make no different on those ePubs.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Well, it was worth a shot.
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
I have played around with all of the sizes and font types so far, but none of them have been what I'm looking for. Right now I am trying to play with the font size of the e-books themselves, but it has been slow going because I have a large collection. So I'll have to wait until those are finished before seeing if this fixes my problem.

Update: It's going to be a long while until they're all converted, but I put one of the e-books which I edited to make the font size smaller, and it seems to have worked exactly as I wanted it to - the font is just the right size for me now. I wish I had been able to do something to the device itself, but this works just as well.

Last edited by sneakyspider; 03-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote