Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ectaco Jetbook
Help! I don't what ebook reader to buy

I haven't owned an ebook reader before, but recently I discovered project gutenburg, and I think I would like to try out ebooks. I don't want to use my laptop but get a real ebook reader. The only problem is that I can't decide on one. My requirements aren't really that high I just want to have a device that can read books in .txt format, and non-drmed mobipocket format. I don't really need to have a dictionary or anything, Bookmarks are a must (but I understand this basically a mandatory feature). The biggest thing is that I would like to get into this a cheaply as possible. Some of the readers I have looked at are the Jetbook, Bebook, foxit eslick, and the various sony readers. A couple of these I'm not even sure if they're available here in the states yet. Thanks in advance for the help!
Ham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Hi Ham. Welcome to the forum!
You can get more information about jetBook reader below
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41654
If you read books from Gutenberg website you can download it in TXT or ePub format and both formats supported by jetBook.
JetBook available on Newegg.com website for $199.99
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The eSlick and the Sony Readers don't support DRM-free MOBI. The jetBook and Hanlin (BeBook) do. However, Calibre (has its own forum) will convert many formats to MOBI or ePub (or LRF) and this is enough to fully support the Sonys. I'm not sure about the eSlick, but I think it may eventually support eReader format which Calibre is about to add as an output format.

I would not choose plain text for reading because its formating is so variable. If you want text for Gutenberg, note that manybooks.net has them all reformatted into many formats and MobileRead has superior versions of many of them hand crafted by the members here.

Under low cost and good enough, I would put jetBook (not EInk but also not backlit and therefore not tiring on the eyes like standard LCDs) and the EZ Reader (the US brand of the Hanlin/BeBook) and perhaps the Sony PRS-505. The best deal on the EZ Reader is usually at Frys, which is currently out of stock for on-line shipping. I have three EInk devices, and the EZ Reader is the cheapest and also the one I use day in and day out. I recommend it highly. Note that I actually run OpenInkPot firmware on it with FBReader and CoolReader as alternative reading options. OpenInkPot is the best software out there for DRM-free reading, and it currently only runs on the Hanlin V3.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
Ham88
Zealot
Ham88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-booksHam88 has learned how to read e-books

I have just ordered the jetbook. I was reading another forum which had pictures of it next to a eink device (kindle), I must say I was impressed, and with it only $199 at newegg I figure this was good way to get into ebooks, later if I find that I like ebooks as much as I anticipate I will I'll probably invest in a more expensive feature packed reader. Again thanks for the help. Now I just have to suffer through waiting for the jetbook to arrive!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham88 View Post
I have just ordered the jetbook. I was reading another forum which had pictures of it next to a eink device (kindle), I must say I was impressed, and with it only $199 at newegg I figure this was good way to get into ebooks, later if I find that I like ebooks as much as I anticipate I will I'll probably invest in a more expensive feature packed reader. Again thanks for the help. Now I just have to suffer through waiting for the jetbook to arrive!
You made the right choice, Ham88! I have jetBook with me all the time and I really enjoy reading on it. Try download illustrated ePub books from Gutenberg.org - it looks much better than regular TXT files.
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
exvaxman
Connoisseur
exvaxman began at the beginning.

Late to the party, but I bought a Jetbook last december from Newegg.com under the sale price. Love it better than the Sony that I had. Only complaint is the poor cover for the sd card that can snap off easily.
exvaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Ham88
Zealot

I dare say I love my jetbook. The only problem that I have with it is that my 'to read' has tripled from texts at gutenberg, and feedbooks! Thanks for the help!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Glad you found the right device for you. With the amount of classics available you should have many years of reading ahead.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned

http://eharlequin.com/store.html?cid=1317
These free books in .epub format looks very good on jetBook screen!