Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Dani Knight
Dani Knight began at the beginning.

Device: fire
Getting epub to Overdrive on Kindle via USB

Hello all,
I downloaded an epub book onto my computer (from my library) and now I wish to get it onto my Kindle Fire. I installed Overdrive on the Fire to be able to read the book. I hooked up my USB cable and copied the epub file (the book) into the "books" directory on my Kindle.

However, when I start up Overdrive, the book is not there. Is there some other directory I should be putting it in?

Thank you for any help.
Dani Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Kindles Dont read ePub ebooks!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Dani Knight
Dani Knight began at the beginning.

Device: fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
From what I've read, yes they can.

http://www.wikihow.com/Read-ePubs-on-Kindle-Fire

"Arguably, Amazon does not make it easy to read ePubs on your Kindle Fire. While the capability is not available by default, though, you can read your collection of ePubs on your Kindle Fire simply by downloading an e-Pub-compatible reader to your device."

Overdrive is one of the compatible readers this article talks about. I installed Overdrive without problem, however, I am at the point where I drag the epub over via USB cable. I did that but am not sure I put it in the correct folder. That is why I came here.
Dani Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Sure they do, if you have an ePub reading app installed.

That said I'm not sure if the OverDrive app in particular supports sideloading of books (been a number of version since I used it). Dani, you have to authorize the OD app if you haven't yet (use the same Adobe ID you'd use on ADE on your computer). You can use the app itself and log in to your library and download the book directly to the Fire.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
At least last time I checked, the Overdrive app will read side-loaded ePub but only if there is no DRM.

I cannot figure out how to sideload directly over USB. What worked for me was to put it in a folder on the Fire (say 'Download') then use ES File Explorer, navigate to the folder and tap on it. 'Open With' will come up and one of the programs should be Overdrive Media Console. OMC will then copy it to a folder that it manages and generate a thumbnail. Then you can delete it from the original location.

I tried copying it directly to the Overdrive folder but OMC doesn't seem to see it unless it is served up by 'Open With'.

I usually use Dropbox for this (having side loaded it from 'other sources') for this sort of thing. Then you don't have to hook up a cable, and use ES File explorer. Just download and tap to Open With. Or you can use the web browser, and login to your Dropbox account (or google drive etc.) and download it that way.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-31-2013 at 01:50 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Your talking about a Library eBook... Go Back to your Library & Download the Kindle format... Cause the only way your going to get the ePub to work is to remove the DRM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Your talking about a Library eBook... Go Back to your Library & Download the Kindle format... Cause the only way your going to get the ePub to work is to remove the DRM.
Wrong, you need an app either Mantano or Aldiko and as Brian says you have to authorize it with your Adobe ID then just import the book into the app and happy reading. I do this with books all the time. I prefer Mantano to the Overdrive app which only reads open epubs and Library epubs.

With The Overdrive app you can log into your local library and download the epub or pdf directly to the app. You can sideload open epubs as well by selecting to open them with the Overdrive app.

Mantano isn't free but Aldiko does has a free version both will read Open, Overdrive and ADE epubs so it's a better option.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-31-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
LOL everyone is so helpful however you can read Overdrive epub books on the Fire via the Overdrive app. If memory serves it has to be in the Overdrive directory but I think there is a way to get the Overdrive app to scan your Fire to find the file. The easiest way is to download the book directly from within the Overdrive app rather than via the computer.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Also with the overdrive app, you can download audiobooks from the library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also with the overdrive app, you can download audiobooks from the library.
Only if they're available in MP3. It doesn't work with WMA.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Only if they're available in MP3. It doesn't work with WMA.
Bummer too, since the most of them are in WMA.

Would love to see publishers ditch that format entirely.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #12
Liza59
Liza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beautyLiza59 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: ereader
Dani,

The easiest way as many have said is to download through the overdrive app. Start by getting books in the app and go from there. Once you set up your library it is much easier for the long run.

The hard way is to download and install E S File app which is free from amazon. Then copy from books to overdrive.

Last edited by Liza59; 11-01-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Liza59 is offline   Reply With Quote