Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Moik
Member Retired
Moik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Borrowing Books with the Kindle

Hi,

it's a while ago since I bothered with the tech-part of my Kindle. I basically used it for reading
I have a 3rd edition Kindle with an amazon.com account but live in Germany where I have another account with amazon.de. I have Prime membership in Germany not in the US.

So today I went to my library (the old fashioned one, yes) and found out that they are lending eBooks. I got super excited only to find out that they use Adobe DRM which I cannot use.
I googled some more and found out that there is the Kindle Owners' Lending Library. I got excited again only to learn that it is only for US-Prime members.

Does anybody know how I can borrow books without buying a Prime membership in the US? I definitely don't need two ones!
Are there any other lending services I could use?

I hope some of you can share their experience with me, thanks!
Moik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I don't know what the law says in Gemany, but the time-limited DRM for lending libraries is the kind that is probably the most likely illegal to remove. However, many people think it is ok to do this if you honor the time limits from the DRM and delete the ebook after it "expires". The latest DRM-stripping tools might not remove lending library DRM by default, but they are python scripts that can easily be modified to do so if necessary. As usual, see Apprentice Alf's Blog for DRM issues.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-04-2012 at 05:55 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Moik
Member Retired

Thanks for your reply! I was hoping for an solution where I don't have to wonder about legal issues. I feel like I am getting closer and closer to a point where I have to consult a lawyer before clicking any button on my computer.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moik View Post
Thanks for your reply! I was hoping for an solution where I don't have to wonder about legal issues. I feel like I am getting closer and closer to a point where I have to consult a lawyer before clicking any button on my computer.
You could buy a Sony PRS-T1 in order to borrow library ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You could buy a Sony PRS-T1 in order to borrow library ePub.
Nothing wrong with this solution. I read library books on my Sony 950 and my Boox.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #6
Moik
Member Retired

Haha, thanks. The reason I want to borrow books is that I don't want to spend more money on something I can get for free
Old 01-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The short-term answer is to buy something like a Kobo Touch or Sony PRS-T1, or strip the DRM just so you can read on your Kindle but still return/delete the books at the end of your library loan.

Other than that, wait patiently to see if Kindle library lending crosses the Atlantic.... (hopefully it will happen eventually!)
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote