Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
My Impressions, Unboxing and Review - Video

Hey all,
I did a video review for the Vox. It includes and unboxing, demo and review.
Here's a link:
Part 1: http://youtu.be/B-1DtfLs85A
Part 2: http://youtu.be/w7DZJvf7g-Q

Last edited by RoxyJ; 10-31-2011 at 11:08 AM.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Fabulous review!

I appreciate you breaking down the shortcomings of the reader app in comparison to the Kobo iPad app. It's the same way with the Android app. Stripped down features compared to the iPad. Don't understand the favoritism the iPad app receives. More importantly it's shocking the Kobo Vox is really lacking as an eReader compared to the iPad app with the lack of customization. Also, just the choice of a white or black background when reading is dated. At least give us the standard Sepia background available on the iPad app. It appears they just ported the Android app for tablets (only available on select tablets) over to the Kobo Vox.

Edit: Disappointing that there is no way to organize content. I would expect there to be that ability. The NOOKcolor has been out for a year and that should have been used as a guide for a device with a feature rich stock reader app. But then again, the Android app can't organize content, and it appears that's what they used. Folks have been moaning and groaning about lack of content organization on the Kobo Touch.

Last edited by SCION; 10-29-2011 at 10:20 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Nothing really shocking about it. iPad has a huge percentage of the tablet market, a very substantial share of the smartphone market and iTunes to promote content (including Kobo). Android is pretty much in the dust in comparison. Kobo has put a good deal of effort building its case on Apple devices. But, as we have seen, Kobo is a scrappy developer and has clearly shown interest in Android. You can expect parity down the road as Kobo continues to integrate all reading environments with core Kobo platform attributes.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
...But, as we have seen, Kobo is a scrappy developer and has clearly shown interest in Android. You can expect parity down the road as Kobo continues to integrate all reading environments with core Kobo platform attributes.
Would be nice to hear that from the horse's mouth. There have been inquiries (in this forum and Kobo support forums) about the shortcomings of the Android app in comparison to the iPad app and I haven't seen any responses from Kobo.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
I'm hoping that the lack of comparable features is because it is new. Although I would expect that a dedicated device would go above and beyond. It seems like they focused on the Pulse feature, and forgot the main use of the device — reading.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
trek790
Enthusiast
trek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Vox
True and, as Roxy noted, they seem to be more concerned about the Pulse feature. While some may be right in saying that they expect firmware updates I don't want those to be showing up six months from now.

Life is too short to deal with a product's shortcomings for six months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Would be nice to hear that from the horse's mouth. There have been inquiries (in this forum and Kobo support forums) about the shortcomings of the Android app in comparison to the iPad app and I haven't seen any responses from Kobo.
trek790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #7
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I would love to watch your Vox review on my Vox but youtube wont play again!!!! What is going on???
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
After foloing around exploring, experimenting, for better than 24 hours, here's the best tip of all: install the Opera Mobile browser (version 11.5.1 is current). It will completely change your impression about the hardware. Video is smooth, web pages are gorgeous.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #9
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I installed Opera and I've had really no difference in browsing - in fact, now it's a pain because every time I go to a new webpage from the pre-installed browser, I get a notification question asking which browser I want to use. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!! Do I have to uninstall Opera to get that to disappear, or can I set one as the default?
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
I installed Opera and I've had really no difference in browsing - in fact, now it's a pain because every time I go to a new webpage from the pre-installed browser, I get a notification question asking which browser I want to use. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!! Do I have to uninstall Opera to get that to disappear, or can I set one as the default?
You can set any app as the default one. If you change your mind and no longer want it as the default you can clear that setting in the "Manage Applications" option within settings.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:06 AM   #11
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
When prompted for a choice of application, you'll see a faint checkbox in the bottom left corner (the corresponding text is there too but in very light, almost white, text). Click the checkbox and then the app you want to be the default.

If you need to reset the default, follow SCION's tip in post #10 above.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I appreciate you breaking down the shortcomings of the reader app in comparison to the Kobo iPad app. It's the same way with the Android app. Stripped down features compared to the iPad. Don't understand the favoritism the iPad app receives.
Simply a question of "where the money is", I think; the iPad dominates the tablet market, so naturally that's where the development effort is concentrated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Simply a question of "where the money is", I think; the iPad dominates the tablet market, so naturally that's where the development effort is concentrated.
I can understand that to a point. But, one would expect their own Android tablet to be comparable to their flagship iPad app. Based on what you're saying, one could assume that the Vox stock reader app will continue to be lacking in features since it's simply the Android tablet app. That seems to be the attitude with Kobo because you can't get any questions answered about missing features in the Android app. Seems like they don't want to come out and say, "The iPad app is the main focus of our development efforts."

Heck, they don't even have a tablet version of the Android app in the Google Market. Many people have large screen Android tablets now. This isn't early 2011 when there was just the Motorola Xoom. All that's available is the lackluster phone version of the app which was updated in June to include Reading Life features. There have been no updates since then.

Last edited by SCION; 10-30-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I can understand that to a point. But, one would expect their own Android tablet to be comparable to their flagship iPad app. Based on what you're saying, one could assume that the Vox stock reader app will continue to be lacking in features since it's simply the Android tablet app. That seems to be the attitude with Kobo because you can't get any questions answered about missing features in the Android app. Seems like they don't want to come out and say, "The iPad app is the main focus of our development efforts."
One could look at it the other way and anticipate that the release of the Vox will be the trigger for Kobo to bring the Android app at least up to par with the iPad version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One could look at it the other way and anticipate that the release of the Vox will be the trigger for Kobo to bring the Android app at least up to par with the iPad version.
So it's gonna be like the Kobo Touch? Features that should've been there from day one may show up eventually? Give it a year and the feature set should be robust. People are always asking about shelves/collections/tags on the Kobo Touch. Why isn't that in the Vox stock reader app? We're talking basic stuff here. Again, the NOOKcolor has been around awhile. Use that as a guide. No need to reinvent the wheel.