Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
So, do I REALLY need to let it charge 5 hours?

I hate getting new things and not getting to play with them right away! It's been plugged in (via the USB) for about 2.5 hours. Would I be in deep doo doo if I loaded a thing or two on it and played for a bit, then plugged it back in?
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
No, but the battery meter will be off until it goes through several full cycles....so they say.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Nah, you can play with it for a little bit I should think.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Get a PSP AC adapter and you'll be able to charge in a lot less time then USB. Also, when you get this PSP AC adapter, get one that it certified. Cheap uncertificated AC adapters have been known to catch fire.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #5
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Get a PSP AC adapter and you'll be able to charge in a lot less time then USB. Also, when you get this PSP AC adapter, get one that it certified. Cheap uncertificated AC adapters have been known to catch fire.
I fully agree with JS Wolf on this one. I bought mine at Gamestop for $15. It is certified and I find that it charges my 600 in about 2-3 hrs. This was about half the price of the Sony charger. An added plus is that you can still read as it charges.
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
wall charger is a lot quicker than the usb charging method. Too bad Sony doesn't package a free one along with the USB hookup. Oh well.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Wait, what uncertified? I bought mine from Gamestop for $15 too.
It's Gamestop brand.
Model: 6002-7331
Input: 100-240VAC 0.5A 50/60Hz
Output: 5VDC 1000mA

How do I know if it's certified?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Laurentiu
Connoisseur
Laurentiu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2, Sony PRS-600 (no longer used)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
wall charger is a lot quicker than the usb charging method. Too bad Sony doesn't package a free one along with the USB hookup. Oh well.
Well, if they did, they would have charged more for the reader, and the customers would be pissed off. That's why they don't include a CD or a user manual either - the documentation is on the reader.

You get the minimum, and it works - you cannot say that you cannot charge the reader via USB.

This is a marketing strategy applied by many companies, since this reduces their cost - sometimes customers complain, sometimes they don't. I am sure that if we were talking about Apple, others would have a very critical opinion about it. Bu, since it's Sony, it's OK.
Laurentiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
Artleknock
Artleknock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony P600
I think Sony has already started what the mobile phone companies are discussing at the moment - a one charger fits all policy.
If all brands use the same charging connection and the same voltage, one charger will fit everything. Everyone would benefit, the companies would save the cost of supplying chargers and we wouldn't have a drawer full of the bl**dy things.
Artleknock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
MAT160
Enthusiast
MAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-booksMAT160 has learned how to read e-books

Device: PRS-600
Sony had a great deal all through Dec. 2009
You had a choice of either the "Free" Charger or Leather Cover when you bought the reader
I chose the charger as I knew I could deal with the enclosed slipcase for a few days
MAT160 is offline   Reply With Quote