Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
thymaster
Zealot
thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.thymaster is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Will One Device Rule Them All... Or Not

Do you think converged devices like the iPad will turn dedicated eReaders into extinction?
thymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
No. I think multi-function devices will eclipse dedicated eink devices not only in sales but in books being read....eventually.

But eink devices have their own reason for existing, will remain 1/3rd to 1/2 the cost, and will appeal to this who are readers but nit gadget hounds.

I think the tablet tide is lifting all the ereading boats.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
No.

(Added text because the reply can't be under 5 characters.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Haven't we had this discussion already?

Ask yourself this: did the smartphone kill cameras? Did it kill iPods? Did it kill gaming consoles? No? Why not if one device can do everything?

People have different needs. Personally, I can meet all my gaming needs with an iPod Touch. Others prefer to have more hard-core equipment. My uncle, who reads maybe one book a month, is quite happy with Kobo on the iPad. I prefer more hard-core equipment. To each their own. There is room in the market for more than one product. It really baffles me how this conversation keeps coming up.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nope, not going to happen any time soon, if ever. If anything dedicated devices will continue to evolve and infringe on the general-purpose device market. If the Kindle 4 comes with an improved Mirasol display, or something similar, with long battery life, and an eye-easy e-ink display, what do I need with an iPad?

Not that I still wouldn't like an iPad, but having to chose one or the other, I went with the Kindle 3.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I agree with Lee, conditionally. I think there are enough people that enjoy what the benefits of eInk, that it is possible that eInk will remain the choice of many dedicated readers (The people not the devices . As a result, a market will be maintained for dedicated readers (The devices not the people unless eInk evolves to the point where it can provide both color and rapid refresh (at least 20-30 times a second) and therefore be the screen technology used on some converged devices.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
No, because none of the multifunction devices are focusing on "being the best possible ebook reader" in addition to their multifunction purposes. Some have focused on "being a good-enough ebook reader," but smartphones & the iPad don't have good storage & sorting options for ebook libraries. (May be lacking other traits as well; I'm unclear on exactly how they work. I know I've never heard anyone talk about the 325 ebooks they keep on their phone, and the iPad is awful for ebooks from multiple sources--there is no mixed-format ebook library.)

Computers eventually totally eclipsed typewriters. (There are still typewriters. There are still *manual* typewriters. But nobody thinks they're a viable part of modern secretarial work in the US.) And digital cameras have pretty much wiped out the film-based versions. (In 1st world countries. I've got no idea what they're doing in parts of India & China.)

However, movies have not eliminated stage plays; recorded music has not destroyed live performances; television didn't end radio; cellphones haven't wiped out landlines; wireless hasn't eliminated cables; SUVs have not eliminated the market for small compact cars.

The idea of "here's a device that does everything that one does, and more" is a valid concern for replacement--but most devices that are so hyped, are lying. They don't do "everything" the single-purpose device does; they do basic functions well enough that most people would rather have multipurpose than the extra specific features.

There will always be people who prefer the limited-function but optimized device.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Well said Elfwreck, and I totally agree.

There will always be a market for a device which does one thing very very well.
Especially if it is priced lower than the latest "gadget" which does everything.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I think yes. Once there are Windows 7 slates with Pixel QI screens, and batteries with enough capacity to last at least 10 hours, the dedicated devices are doomed. Just my 2 cents...
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
pah! I don't want "good enough" in regards to my book reading. I want as good as I can afford, which right now is a dedicated e-ink reader...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #11
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
No, because none of the multifunction devices are focusing on "being the best possible ebook reader" ...
Very well put, and I totally agree.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I think yes. Once there are Windows 7 slates with Pixel QI screens, and batteries with enough capacity to last at least 10 hours, the dedicated devices are doomed. Just my 2 cents...
I'm not so sure. 10 hours isn't all that long - it means that you have to charge the thing every day. If your multi-purpose device is on its last legs battery-wise, you might not want to read on it then, because you need it to be available as something else. This is a pain with phones, for example.

I want a reliable reader that just works, never (or almost never) crashing, with a properly long battery life (i.e. a week or better). Reliable devices are often reliable because they do one thing well. Windows' strength is that it can support many applications - but this is also its weakness in terms of reliability.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:21 PM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Yeah, this topic has been pretty much beaten to death.

Which of the following did your Swiss Army Knife replace in your kitchen: corkscrew, steak knife, butter knife, bread knife, paring knife, peeler, can opener, bottle opener, scissors?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #14
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Yeah, this topic has been pretty much beaten to death.

Which of the following did your Swiss Army Knife replace in your kitchen: corkscrew, steak knife, butter knife, bread knife, paring knife, peeler, can opener, bottle opener, scissors?
That thing for getting stones out of horses hooves? I don't have a separate one of them.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #15
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thornton View Post
That thing for getting stones out of horses hooves? I don't have a separate one of them.
Is THAT what it's for? I've always wondered...
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote