Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Best way to convert large amount of books?

I have 800 books in Calibre for my Sony and I want to convert them to mobi so I can get a Kindle. Will Calibre crash if I do a select all and try to convert everything in a batch? If so, what are my best conversion options for this quantity of books?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I have converted large numbers of books at the same time with Calibre, but not that many. Would suggest selecting maybe 50 at a time. My experience is that it may take an hour or more just to convert that 50 unless you have a very fast processor.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
hairybiker
Banned
hairybiker began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
You could of course only convert at send time couldn't you ? (via the send specific format to device option.)
hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairybiker View Post
You could of course only convert at send time couldn't you ? (via the send specific format to device option.)
That is a good point. You will not want to send 800 books to your kindle at one time. I suggest decrypting 200 at a time, and then transferring. A couple of days later, another 200. You will know you have to slow down when your battery only lasts a couple hours. Don't worry, because kindle is just indexing - once it finishes, battery life will go back up.

I finally decided that Calibre is so powerful, I will just keep 100 or so books, a few from each genre, on my kindle. It runs so much better now. I just make sure, whenever I buy a new book, to put it into Calibre. Of course, Calibre is backed up weekly, in 2 different places.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote