Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #91
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Some of us do not want to buy from Amazon.
Then we are at an impasse, and the only solution is separation.

I'm sure F&SF magazine took this into account when they first started discussing the move to a closer relationship with Amazon. Sadly, there seems to be no other recourse for you if you do not wish to have any dealings with Amazon.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Then we are at an impasse, and the only solution is separation.

I'm sure F&SF magazine took this into account when they first started discussing the move to a closer relationship with Amazon. Sadly, there seems to be no other recourse for you if you do not wish to have any dealings with Amazon.
I don't think F&SF has taken into account the damage they are doing not only to a lot of customers but to their reputation. I know there are ways to read AZW if you do not have a Kindle. But, not everybody will find these ways what they want and thus this won't work for them and that makes it with no options.

This is just one more publishing house who care little for their customers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #93
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
I don't think F&SF has taken into account the damage they are doing not only to a lot of customers but to their reputation.

This is just one more publishing house who care little for their customers.
I don't think you are considering that F&SF is failing. They can't keep on doing what they are doing because it isn't working. They will go out of business if they keep doing it.

Going to Amazon may not save them (and I'm not really sure how it can, frankly), but it is different from what they are doing now, and thus has a *chance* of saving them.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #94
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think his point is that it would be better for them to die free (DRM free and Amazon free) than live captured (by Amazon).
Old 04-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #95
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H.
I don't think you are considering that F&SF is failing. They can't keep on doing what they are doing because it isn't working. They will go out of business if they keep doing it.

Going to Amazon may not save them (and I'm not really sure how it can, frankly), but it is different from what they are doing now, and thus has a *chance* of saving them.
Thanks for saying this. It's what I've thought all along. While "live free or die" may make a good state motto, it doesn't work for a business. This is a desperation move on their part, so while I find it sad, I don't exactly find it reprehensible. Hate it all you want, but more people will "see" the magazine at Amazon, than ever did at Fictionwise. I think the tactic will ultimately fail, but I'm not going to vilify someone for trying everything they can to save a dying magazine.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #96
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Hate it all you want, but more people will "see" the magazine at Amazon, than ever did at Fictionwise. I think the tactic will ultimately fail, but I'm not going to vilify someone for trying everything they can to save a dying magazine.
In this economy, any dying "business".
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Thanks for saying this. It's what I've thought all along. While "live free or die" may make a good state motto, it doesn't work for a business. This is a desperation move on their part, so while I find it sad, I don't exactly find it reprehensible. Hate it all you want, but more people will "see" the magazine at Amazon, than ever did at Fictionwise. I think the tactic will ultimately fail, but I'm not going to vilify someone for trying everything they can to save a dying magazine.
So why not stay at Fictionwise and also go to Amazon? That way you won't piss off existing customers and may get new ones. That's the smart business idea. Going exclusive with Amazon is a really bad business decision.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #98
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
So why not stay at Fictionwise and also go to Amazon? That way you won't piss off existing customers and may get new ones.
Are you under the impression that Fictionwise was taking care of all their subscribed customers free of charge? They obviously couldn't afford that anymore. The object here was to save money... while at the same time putting their magazine in front of as many sets of eyes as they possibly could. It's perfectly clear to me that if they could have done it cheaper with Fictionwise (or Fictionwise and Amazon), they would have. Contrary to popular belief, companies don't volunteer to piss of a large portion of their customer base on a lark. Something made more sense from a business standpoint to do what they did. Live to fight another day.

Plus, who knows... maybe market research showed that the clear majority of their subscribers were reading their magazine on Kindles anyway.

EDIT: and why are we all assuming that they left Fictionwise? Maybe Fictionwise dumped them... or made it "no longer feasible to stay".

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-26-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #99
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
So why not stay at Fictionwise and also go to Amazon?
The $$$
Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 AM   #100
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Then the limitation is being imposed by YOU. Thats YOUR choice.
Potentially, there's a choice between "don't read on your ebook reader" or "break the law in order to read it." I don't think it's unreasonable for people to say, "I'm not willing to commit crimes to read F&SF."

If you're certain that conversion is legit, can you find where Amazon says it's okay to read your Kindle books on ereaders they don't support? Amazon's EULA for those books says you're authorized to read them on certain devices only--those that can host the Kindle software.

While there are plenty of people willing to ignore that, that doesn't mean the publisher is still serving the community that Fictionwise did. Saying, "you can still be our customer if you're willing to break laws and/or ignore the contract you agreed to at purchase time" is a bit of a stretch.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #101
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
I started reading F&SF magazine when I bought my eReader last year. I was so cross when I heard they had moved from Fictionwise to Amazon - I want my issues in DRM-Free EPUB format.

So, I am display my anger by... buying back issues at Fictionwise.

Look, F&SF are obviously in deep financial trouble. I don't want them to go out of business, so I'm not going to boycott the magazine and I'm not going to pirate their work instead of paying for it. But equally, I am not going to pay for the privilege of tricking Amazon's georestriction, cracking the DRM and format shifting from mobi to epub in order to get the magazine onto my Sony Reader.

But for the moment, at least, Fictionwise still has issues of F&SF back to 2002. That's 8 years of magazine that I haven't read yet! So buying back issues is how I'm going to protest. I get to read new issues, F&SF gets money but realises that some people choose DRM-free over DRM-locked.

Anyone care to join me? We could start a retro reading group in Reading Recommendations or something...
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #102
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

What a well thought out and healthy approach. I salute your level-headedness... with karma.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #103
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Aw, thanks DiapDealer!

Ooh, and this 30% off Fictionwise coupon still works! I just bought all of 2002, and the Jan/Feb 2011 issue. Yay!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #104
RockdaMan
Banned

Very level headed, very smart, and most of all a very useful and productive post. I will be perusing their back catalog too.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #105
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
Aw, thanks DiapDealer!

Ooh, and this 30% off Fictionwise coupon still works! I just bought all of 2002, and the Jan/Feb 2011 issue. Yay!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote