Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Dropped my reader in water

I know, I know! I'm still kicking myself in the a**!

Anyway, it was only the lower part and it was only for a few seconds. Immediately the reader started acting all funky, so i shook out the water and put it in front of my space heater (not too close) for a couple of hours. It still works, only I can't turn it on and off by the switch.

To turn it on I have to plug it in to my computer and wait for like an hour and then when I take it off it's on with a full charge. Then to turn it off I have to go to device shutdown and turn it off that way. Then I try to plug it back into the computer to "turn it back on" and it's like the battery's dead, has to sit there for an hour before the charging/usb icon shows on the screen. The light on the top is red the whole time it's charging tho.

Do you think it's still under warranty? Is there something/somewhere I can do to it/take it to get this fixed? Do you think it would be more than what's it worth to fix it?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dropping it into water will certainly not a warranty repair; warranty repairs are for when something spontaneous goes wrong, not "user abuse".

Best thing to do is to contact Sony and ask about the cost of repair. If it's your 505 then I'd certainly get it repaired if it were me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Dropping it into water will certainly not a warranty repair; warranty repairs are for when something spontaneous goes wrong, not "user abuse".
Maybe it developed a spontaneous fault coincidental to it's immersion in water.
Stranger things have happened.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds as if the battery's shorted out. That doesn't happen spontaneously.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Oh, no! Well, you never know, so you may want to try something from the below threads that have worked. Good Luck.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...102#post562102

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=36
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Oh, no! Well, you never know, so you may want to try something from the below threads that have worked. Good Luck.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...102#post562102

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=36
I will try it as soon as I get home. I would have never thought of any of that stff tho, so thank you thank you thank you!!!

I will put it in the freezer-bag time capsule for three days and tell you what emerges!!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Definitely waiting is your best bet. And don't turn it during those three days - any more than you already have. You want to minimize any possible shorts. If the device has a removable battery, you should remove it. Then wait.

Reading in the bathtub worked out badly for me...with an iphone. I knew better, but dang, Mistborn is a great book! Fortunately I had insurance through Best Buy and they just replaced it with a new one.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If it were mine, I'd first try carefully and slowly removing the back and blowing it out with a can of air. I wouldn't dare recommend that to others, however.

Of course if you purchased an extended warranty that covers user mishaps, that would be the way to go. I don't believe any of the stock warranties cover that sort of thing.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-05-2009 at 08:33 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Normally I don't purchase extended warranties, but there was one time I was glad that I made an exception. I bought a phone from CompUSA. Within a month, I accidentally dropped it in the path of a forklift. When I explained what had happened to the CompUSA folks, they gave me a new phone at no charge.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Oh yes, the bag of rice idea works. Leave it there for three days. Did it and no problems since.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just a week ago on the Tekzilla podcast they said get the cat litter that is all crystals and put the device and crystals in a ziplock bag (or air tight container). Leave it in there for a few days and all the water should be gone.

The crystals attract the water and absorb it better than rice.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
something similar happened to me, my Canon SLR fell into a pool when I was in Turkey to photograph a total eclipse in 2006. Two nights before the big day, we were taking pictures of the amazing skyline in Istambul at night. To make a long story short, it was dark and I wasn't looking... I said my camera fellin to a pool, which is true, except that I fell into the pool too! I was trying to find a good spot (I was in the roof of the hotel with five other photographers), and well, I forgot there was a pool in the roof and I fell into it.
I had my camera on my hand and a bag with a hard drive, my PDA, my wallet and the kitchen sink.
In the midst of panic I was advised to take the battery off and wait until the next morning to try it again. Which I did. A friend kept telling me: if it was off, you won't have any problem... but if it was on, you'll have to buy another camera.
I guess it was off because the next morning it was working like nothing had happened. So my advise is: let it dry, let it dry, let it dry. And take the battery off!!!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #13
emonti8384
browneyedgurl

How do I take the battery out? I'm not good with taking apart things, especially if I don't know how they work in the process. The kitty litter sounds like a good idea but will I have to worry about the dust and whatnot? I already put it in the ziplock bag with the rice and I found 2 of those little silica gel packets and popped those in there as well. You think I'm safe, or should I open the bag and put it in the kitty litter container too? I DON'T WANT TO LOSE MY READER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'LL DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

Um wait, to an extent, I'd do anything
Old 12-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #14
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Ok, then don't take the battery out, that would only be mandatory in cases where the device would turn itself on at some point before it's dried, like a PDA when the alarm goes off.
Good luck.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
In the first three pages of the last 24 hours' posts here, I've read of someone putting their 505 in the washing machine (but not full cycle), others dropping theirs and sleeping on them, and now one submerged in water! What's with us all? Wonder how many even wilder abuses these poor wee gizmos have suffered. I remember once -- just for fun -- presenting my local bank with a 50 Euro note my wife had accidentally run through the washer -- nothing but crumbs. "No possibility of repair, replacement or refund," I was told by the po-faced teller. Some things are simply our own daft fault. Hoots. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote