Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #61
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I'm waiting to see if DE shows up on more open hardware, such as the Iliad. I've been seriously burned before by orphaned DRMed PDFs and will not purchase anymore until I *know* that I'm not just purchasing a limited license.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong... but from what I read in the FAQs DE will convert any DRMed PDFs that you have to the new DE "adobeid" DRM so that it will be portable to any device that supports DE... which right now currently seems to be Windows PCs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #62
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I wonder how hard it is to get customer support to authorize DE to more than 6 devices. I can imagine installing it on my laptop, desktop and perhaps a reader if and when that option becomes available. Count in a few reformatting of the computers, os upgrades or device upgrades and I would reach the original 6 allowed authorizations in probably a year or two. I know some users might reach this cap faster if the software becomes available on more mobile devices.
It is 6 desktop/laplop devices and 6 handhelds. I cannot talk about specifics, but there is clear understanding that device lifetime is 2-3 years and one will need to activate more devices without calling customer support. I know that this still may feel too restrictive, but many publishers won't authorize their content for unlimited number of devices.

Quote:
I just hope it isn't too much of a hassle. Wish it was like the sony software where you have the ability to de-authorize a device that needs to be upgraded or formatted so it didn't count against the 6 original allowed authorizations.
It is my understanding that there should not be a need to re-activate it when upgrading the software (but that depends on how exactly Sony implemented their updater).

Quote:
I read almost all my PDF files on DE's and I love the way it looks and it does all the things I need but the DRM thing is so annoying. It's like a punishment for those who legitimately bought their books.
It is understood that DRM adds hassles. I think that can be improved a lot, though. The good thing is that most people are much more realistic now about the level of protection that it can provide against a motivated attacker (very low), so it can be made into much more lightweight and robust component.

Quote:
I'm not that knowledgeable on tech but I just wish there was one standardized format for ebooks and if I purchased it, I could read it on any device that handles ebooks for as long as I want. The inability to do this is the only reason I haven't been to enthusiastic about ebooks.
That's the goal.
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 12:57 PM   #63
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong... but from what I read in the FAQs DE will convert any DRMed PDFs that you have to the new DE "adobeid" DRM so that it will be portable to any device that supports DE... which right now currently seems to be Windows PCs.

BOb
Mac as well ;-)

Seriously, what we do it to burn enough information into PDF (or EPUB), so that same document can be opened on any device activated by the same user. This is a different approach from Acrobat days, where the PDF file was re-encrypted and locked to a particular handheld device.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #64
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
You THINK it's an important part of reading, but that's your perception now. I thought so too, but after using my Cybook for a while, my perception has changed.

The Cybook does not use page numbers and, really, for an electronic book on an electronic book reader, page numbers are not very relevant - at least the page numbers that are associated with a paper book. The progress indicator that runs along the bottom of the screen is a much better indicator for an electronic reading device.
Have you tried reading a short story collection on the Cybook and one were some of the stories are bad so if they are short you will finish them but otherwise you will skip them? Page number is irrelevant but an indicator that tells how long a chapter or a short story is is very relevant and for me necessary.

Before buying the Cybook I did not think this was important.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #65
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
Mac as well ;-)

Seriously, what we do it to burn enough information into PDF (or EPUB), so that same document can be opened on any device activated by the same user. This is a different approach from Acrobat days, where the PDF file was re-encrypted and locked to a particular handheld device.
So, am I right in that it will convert any currently DRMed PDF's using the Acrobat approach to work with the DE DRM? That seemed to be what the dialog said when I first installed and imported the PDFs on my machine.

What was a bit weird is that the PDFs on my PC were not protected in any way. But, DE seemed to imply that it was going to apply the DE DRM to them. Is this correct? Or was that dialog a little ambishish?

BOb
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #66
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, am I right in that it will convert any currently DRMed PDF's using the Acrobat approach to work with the DE DRM? That seemed to be what the dialog said when I first installed and imported the PDFs on my machine.
Yes, your reading is correct

Quote:
What was a bit weird is that the PDFs on my PC were not protected in any way. But, DE seemed to imply that it was going to apply the DE DRM to them. Is this correct? Or was that dialog a little ambishish?
We do not know if any particular file is DRM-protected or not until we open it. But, of course, we don't apply DRM to anything that was not DRM-protected, non-DRMed files stay as is.

Peter
Old 05-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #67
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
We do not know if any particular file is DRM-protected or not until we open it. But, of course, we don't apply DRM to anything that was not DRM-protected, non-DRMed files stay as is.
Ah... that's good, and what I would expect. (It's good when software does what you expect it to.) However, the message was a bit misleading and should probably be tweaked.

Thanks for the info.

BOb
Old 05-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #68
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Have you tried reading a short story collection on the Cybook and one were some of the stories are bad so if they are short you will finish them but otherwise you will skip them? Page number is irrelevant but an indicator that tells how long a chapter or a short story is is very relevant and for me necessary.

Before buying the Cybook I did not think this was important.
Yes, I have read all your arguments in support of page numbers for short stories. I don't share your perspective there either. I've read several collections of short stories on my Cybook, and page numbers have never been a big deal for me with short stories. I don't need them and never really consider them for short stories even when reading a paper book collection of short stories.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:29 PM   #69
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
Downloaded DE 1.5 and the sample EPUB Alice in Wonderland book. The reflowable text works very well with the embedded pictures. I am impressed!

I cannot wait for PRS 505 compatibility to be released!
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #70
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsohsmith View Post
Downloaded DE 1.5 and the sample EPUB Alice in Wonderland book. The reflowable text works very well with the embedded pictures. I am impressed!

I cannot wait for PRS 505 compatibility to be released!
Why don't you plug in your 505 and see if DE recognizes it?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Why don't you plug in your 505 and see if DE recognizes it?
Won't that need new firmware at the 505 end of the connection?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #72
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It is 6 desktop/laplop devices and 6 handhelds. I cannot talk about specifics, but there is clear understanding that device lifetime is 2-3 years and one will need to activate more devices without calling customer support. I know that this still may feel too restrictive, but many publishers won't authorize their content for unlimited number of devices.
Well thanks for clearning that up. 6 desktops/laptops AND 6 handheld devices would go a long way as well as an understanding that we do replace these devices.

Quote:
It is my understanding that there should not be a need to re-activate it when upgrading the software (but that depends on how exactly Sony implemented their updater).
Probably just a bad explanation on my part. I meant that whenever I have to format my computer I can deauthorize the computer before I do so. That way when I authorize it again after the computer format, the computer only counts as being authorized once. Wasn't referring to upgrade of the sony software.

Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns.

Last edited by MerLock; 05-15-2008 at 02:50 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #73
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Maybe, maybe not. The 505 appears as a USB drive. It's entirely possible that DE might already know to check for attached USB devices.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #74
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, for instance calibre recognizes the reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:22 PM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I see what you're saying, yes. I was sort of assuming (perhaps wrongly) that it would work a little like the Mobi Desktop Reader which does "smart things" with a portable Mobi device plugged in via USB. You can set it up, for example, to automatically sync new content to the attached device. That requires it to specifically recognise the device that's connected as being another Mobi device, rather than merely an external USB file system.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe de epub