Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-20-2015, 08:36 AM   #661
Elratauru
Elratauru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014 (KT2)
Thank you so much for this, I got a Kindle a few weeks ago and I have a question...Is there any way to display covers on the latest Basic Kindle (2014)?

I tried converting a few volumes using the generic Kindle profile and while the files work perfectly on the device, panel view and all, there aren't any covers on them.
Elratauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #662
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Sadly Kindle cover system is pain in the ass.

You need upload KCC output with Calibre or KindleButler to see the cover in library view.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #663
Elratauru
Elratauru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2014 (KT2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidWeb View Post
Sadly Kindle cover system is pain in the ass.

You need upload KCC output with Calibre or KindleButler to see the cover in library view.
I see. So, just adding the book on Calibre, getting the Metadata/Covers and uploading it from it would work? Would the format matter?

I'm at work currently but I will probably try a few combinations when I get home. I got some long file names that dont fit on the Cover View, forcing me to the List View, and even so, sometimes the names are so long that I cannot see the volume number... So a cover would help with this I guess.
Elratauru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:52 AM   #664
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elratauru View Post
I see. So, just adding the book on Calibre, getting the Metadata/Covers and uploading it from it would work? Would the format matter?
Yes and yes. Just add cover in Calibre library. Any conversion of KCC output will corrupt the file.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #665
pigsonthewing
pigsonthewing began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi AcidWeb,

I wanted to report something odd happening with KCC created MOBI files on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 (running Fire OS 4.5.3). When I try and read them on the Kindle, all I see is are blank white pages. However, they have the correct number of pages, it's just that no images are appearing. I'm sending them to my device with Calibre, and have tried removing all KCC created files and rebooting and resending them to no avail. Normal book MOBIs work fine.
pigsonthewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #666
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Never tested KCC output on any Kindle Fire. I'm not even sure if they ever worked correctly.

Kindle Fire is just Android tablet - there are hundreds of other Android comic readers that work better than KCC.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:42 PM   #667
rakail92
rakail92 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo HD
Hello, i've just registered a account on this forum to know if it's possible to select a lot of folders, without click one per one because I have like 200 chapters to convert and it's hard for me ! thank you for your work by the way it's wonderful I have a lot of fun on my Kobo HD thanks to you.
rakail92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #668
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Just add directory that contains all directories. KCC will parse them recursively.

Last edited by AcidWeb; 03-02-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #669
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

@pigsonthewing - Tested all Kindle Fire profiles with Kindle Previewer. Everything look correctly.

You are sure that Calibre don't reconvert files during upload? Upload them manually and check if images are still missing.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #670
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Version 4.5 is out!
  • Added simple ComicRack metadata editor
  • Re-enabled Manga Cover Database support
  • ComicRack bookmarks are now parsed
  • Fixed glitches in Kindle Voyage profile
  • Fixed problems with directory locks on Windows
  • Fixed sorting anomalies
  • Improved conversion speed
Old 03-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #671
Zefhar
Zefhar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Version 4.5 is out!
Added simple ComicRack metadata editor
Great, this is what I was looking for.

I recently bought a Kindle and have been using KCC virtually everyday for two weeks, enjoying the resulting MOBI quality on my Kindle screen, while on the other hand struggling to figure out how to append simple metadata (author, series and volume) with other software without corrupting the files.

The basic editor looks fine, however I was victim of few issues when I tried the following:

- Added directory of images in KCC, made a CBZ of it.
- Added resulting CBZ in KCC, edited metadata (Author, Series, Volume) with built-in Simple Metadata Editor.
- Convert edited CBZ to MOBI (with "Ultra/High Quality" checkbox marked).

The job was marked as successfully finished; however, when I tried to reach the file, Windows Explorer was ultra slow and Task Manager wouldn't come up. I had to force a windows restart.

After that, I found the MOBI file and noticed it was suspiciously small in size (24 MB instead of 70 MB I had previously experienced with other manga volumes similar in size I had previously converted).

Transfered MOBI file to Kindle using Calibre. Metadata was OK and book opened, but Panel View was broken.

Maybe KCC Folder-to-CBZ creation does stuff to the images that should not be re-done during a CBZ to MOBI conversion?

I guess if you want to use the Simple Metadata Editor, the user should NOT use KCC-created CBZ as source files, but instead prepare CBZ manually with Zip utility.

However thanks for the great tool
Zefhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #672
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefhar View Post
Maybe KCC Folder-to-CBZ creation does stuff to the images that should not be re-done during a CBZ to MOBI conversion?

I guess if you want to use the Simple Metadata Editor, the user should NOT use KCC-created CBZ as source files, but instead prepare CBZ manually with Zip utility.
Yes. Definitely. Converting already converted files will mess them up.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #673
astarinlife
astarinlife doesn't litterastarinlife doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm trying to figure out how to use Manga Cover Database support and have come up really confused. I normally use Variant C file structure with KCC to get a seperate MOBI for each volume, but from what I've read it seems I need to convert something to CBZ to add the scan information and some metadata in with ComicRack, which is where I'm running into problems. Am I not understanding that correctly? If I am I would like to know which parts to convert. If I convert the main folder of the manga, which has been structured into Variant C, into a CBZ I can get KCC to run but only end up with two files but every other way I've thought to try results in KCC saying the source directory is empty.

If this is something that is silly and I'm overlooking something obvious I'm very sorry for waisting you're time.
astarinlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:58 AM   #674
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author

Same problem as @Zefhar. Probably I need to make some guide.

CBZ file is just ZIP file with changed extension. CBR -> RAR. CB7 -> 7Z.

Prepare your Variant C directory as always and just ZIP it and change extension. Then you can convert it as always + use metadata editor.

KCC can prepare CBZ file but it also convert images inside. So conversion Directory -> KCC -> CBZ -> KCC -> MOBI convert images twice and completely mess the output.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:25 AM   #675
astarinlife
astarinlife doesn't litterastarinlife doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite
Ok I figured it out. I'm using 7zip to compress the files, so that was right, but I was compressing the wrong folders. I was confused since selecting all the chapters and zipping those resulted in a single file so I was doing that, but I needed to zip the root manga folder. Your reply did help me figure that out so thank you.

Your right though, a guide would probably be a good idea. It's mostly easy to figure everything out but if you miss something it's hard to figure out exactly why your conversion didn't turn out right.
astarinlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k5 tools, kcc, kindle tools