Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
mark4
mark4 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS
updated firmware for prs-500?

Imported my prs-500 a long time ago, but unfortunately Sony Europe doesn't seem to offer the Nov. 2009 firmware upgrade that includes ePub support and the USB-mass storage interface (needed in recent Calibre versions).

Have found many posts on tools to update firmware on the prs-500 (e.g. here).
But where can I find the actual firmware itself? Alternatively, would it be possible to dump the firmware from an updated prs-500 and load it onto mine?

Would be grateful for any helpful suggestions
mark4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
Imported my prs-500 a long time ago, but unfortunately Sony Europe doesn't seem to offer the Nov. 2009 firmware upgrade that includes ePub support and the USB-mass storage interface
I too have an old PRS-500 that I imported from USA. For a limited time they offered that they will upgrade your reader, and even pay for shipping. But only from/to USA. If I remember correctly the first units with upgraded firmware had severe problems with battery life and had to be sent in again for reflash. I shudder when I imagine that I decided to send my reader for reflash, which would be very expensive and logistically complicated, only to find out that I have to send it again

It was my understanding that the "new" firmware (the one that brings epub functionality to PRS-500) is not doable by ordinary users at home. Perhaps it involves some special hardware, or perhaps the update tools would let potential hackers access to the internals (and paranoid Sony can't have that)

At the moment I have installed an old version of the Connect software on a borrowed Windows computer (I run on Linux at home) and I have deleted all books from the reader. Now I use an SD card and SD card reader to load books.

If you find a better solution, please let us know.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The PRS 500 update from "paranoid" Sony requires hardware modification hence return requirement as it is NOT just a FW update...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
mark4
mark4 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS
Thanks for your replies! And for bringing the SD-card option under my attention. Never thought of that, since I always used to use the internal memory only.. never needed more than 64MB of ebooks

If I read the post that I previously linked to correctly, then updating firmware should be possible. Of course that doesn't mean it's possible for the specific upgrade that I want, which indeed may require a hardware mod.

There are plenty reports from people who have updated to whatever firmware version on the prs-500 (suggesting there are different firmware versions available). I would be interested to know where they got the firmware images from: couldn't find any myself. Any ideas?
mark4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Your linked post relates to a 3rd party unofficial FW mod not to a Sony upgrade... if you want epub etc on your 500 then it is a return to Sony update, it is not just FW but hardware and is NOT a DIY option...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
There are plenty reports from people who have updated to whatever firmware version on the prs-500
The link you have found is for hacking firmware, not for *official* update.

I have hacked my PRS-500. Updated fonts and some other things. I only dared to do that after I received a new reader PocketBook 360. Many things can get wrong during the process and you can end with a "brick".
During unofficial firmware update (hack) I almost bricked my PRS-500 and I had to install Python programming language on my PC and I had to run various hacks from the above site to unlock the device, so I was able to flash official firmware update(*) after unsuccessful update from SD card.

(*) there has been firmware update with small improvements from Sony that was installed by users. You connected reader to PC by USB cable and ran a program.

You can improve your device a little bit, search for "hack builder" for PRS 500 here on this site. "Hack builder" is a tool that prepares a script you can put on SD card. After inserting card and restarting reader the script is run and you can set various cosmetic options. Like display of time on status bar, or you can redefine various keys, or nicer icons (By user Diablo)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote