Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #256
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've also alerted the author of Kobo Touch Extended to your issue; hopefully you can work with him.

https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-k...iver/issues/70
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #257
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
@Leonatus Can you PM me a link to a book that you have this issue with? If you have a simple book that you've created with just a single content file that would be ideal, but as long as you can tell me what to look for before conversion it'll be fine. E.G. I would need to know that I'm looking for the text '>verrückt<' before conversion so I know where to start looking after conversion.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #258
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
There seems to happen a misunderstanding: Whereas I'm now, after having endured some difficulties described above, quite satisfied with the book worked out with the extended driver after reloading, the rumour is with the standard driver. With the extended, the spaces between the brackets and the word are - if at all - only few, such as one white space or so - not worth while incommodating you. The rest is all perfect.

But with the standard driver, it's for example like this:
Input:
I asked if she would like. She said: "No".
Output:
I asked if she would like. She said: "No
".
And this way many, many times. In an old calibre thread, I read about a similar problem, and there resulted that by reformatting of the text on the base of HTML (and not ODF), the issue went by. (How the mate had managed to convert ODF in Calibre, I don't know).

So yesterday, I considered to do the same and try again, but eventually desisted, for with the extended plugin it is all fine right now. Maybe when I'll convert another book, the issue appears again, then I'll let you know.

I'm excited with your helpfulness, however!
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #259
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
There seems to happen a misunderstanding: Whereas I'm now, after having endured some difficulties described above, quite satisfied with the book worked out with the extended driver after reloading, the rumour is with the standard driver. With the extended, the spaces between the brackets and the word are - if at all - only few, such as one white space or so - not worth while incommodating you. The rest is all perfect.

But with the standard driver, it's for example like this:
Input:
I asked if she would like. She said: "No".
Output:
I asked if she would like. She said: "No
".
And this way many, many times. In an old calibre thread, I read about a similar problem, and there resulted that by reformatting of the text on the base of HTML (and not ODF), the issue went by. (How the mate had managed to convert ODF in Calibre, I don't know).

So yesterday, I considered to do the same and try again, but eventually desisted, for with the extended plugin it is all fine right now. Maybe when I'll convert another book, the issue appears again, then I'll let you know.

I'm excited with your helpfulness, however!

From that, the problem is either in the book, or a problem in the reader application on the device. The KoboTouch driver makes no change to code in the book. Calibre does update the metadata and the cover, but no other changes are made when the book is sent.

But, I think you have completely missed a very important point. The Kobo extended puts epubs onto the Kobo devices in a way that they will be treated as kepubs. This means they are read with a completely different reading application than is used for an epub. The two reader applications have different behaviour and different bugs. The most commented on differences are the kepub reader displays the book title at the top of the screen and the page numbering is per chapter. The epub reader doesn't display the title (except FW2.5.2) and the page numbering is for the complete book.

What you describe above sounds like a foible of the epub reader. It sometimes goes to a new line in strange places. Odds are, that changing the font size will change what you are seeing. One step lower, assuming the book doesn't fix the size, will probably show the quote and full stop on the same line. Changing the font used or margins will probably do the same.

To check this, manually sideload the book. Just copy it to the device and let it process and look at it. That eliminates any effect calibre might have.

If you still think it is wrong, then like jgoguen, I would need to see the book. Or enough of a sample to demonstrate the problem. Post it or PM me a link
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #260
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
O.k. I incline to think that it's really on the book, for such behaviour has been foreign to me before, also at the standard driver. But your comments are, to me, reason enough to work the book out again at the basics, i. e. at the HTML. As this is not very common to me, it will take some time, for I would like to improve, at this opportunity, some other formattings and I have to look first how to do. I shall scarcely get ready on the weekend, for I'm at the countyside, and there's no www.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #261
BangBangO
BangBangO began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

I have one wish that could be of interest for French users. We currently use &nbsp; before the following punctuation signs : ; ! ? and inside the French quotes and before an endnotes call. Seven possible occurences (at least for punctuation purposes, because there are other uses of this entity).

However, our typographic rules suggest to use - preferably - a narrow no-break space that we call "espace fine insécable".

When? Before the three following double punctuation signs ; ! ? and inside the French quotes and before an endnotes call. Six possible occurences.

However, this entity is mishandled by ADE and other -old generation- ebook-readers, even if we use appropriate fonts. So, for the time being, it's a little useless.

That's why, meanwhile some people try to emulate this narrow no-break space from the no-break space. I found two CSS solutions for this. Admittedly they are not optimal because they will leave a lot of spans. At least, it's a choice.

L'émulation 1
texte<span class=«fine»>&nbsp;</span>texte
Code CSS:
.fine {font-size: 30%;}
L'émulation 2
</span class=«fine»>&nbsp;</span>
Code CSS:
.fine {display:inline-block;width:0.125em}

I would like to have an advice which of the two seems better?
I also would like to use one Regex to search and replace &nbsp; using one of the two span classes above.

If I make a plain search and replace, it would have to be played six times. I hope there is a Regex to wrap everything and play it only once.

Phew, it was a long post but I tried to be clear. Thank you for your help.
Sorry for being so late but I've just discovered this while browsing this topic.

What you were trying to do must be considered bad practice for several reasons :

— Adobe's “rendering engine” is already doing that automatically (if average word-spacing is OK). You’ll just get a thin of a thin space.

— this can screw iBooks' hyphenation quite insanely (and iBooks' hyphenation is just already terrible in French).

— there is an insane bug since ADE 2.0 (and this bug also occurs in the readers and apps using the same version of the RMSDK) : if a tagged element happens to be at the end of the line and there is no space left, then it will be displayed on the following line.
In this particular case, it means that the non-breaking space will be ignored because there is a span “fine”. As a result you are rewarded with something like this :

Code:
L’animal s'excitait à la vue du sang. Comment vais-je m'en sortir 
? se demanda Jean.
Text-align doesn't matter, (this sh)it happens.

There are some fixes for this incredible bug but they're not (EPUB 2) specs-compliant. Moreover, it's Adobe’s business as they obviously messed up.

Hope that helps, because every time I discover those span “fine” in a file, I just get rid of them as they will create problems when I read the book.

By the way, your second emulation is not specs-compliant. Display: inline-block, though supported widely, is not part of the EPUB 2 specs.
BangBangO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #262
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangO View Post
— Adobe's “rendering engine” is already doing that automatically (if average word-spacing is OK). You’ll just get a thin of a thin space.
Doing what, display a &nbsp; before punctuation as a thin space? I haven't seen that. What I've seen is that &nbsp; (for Adobe) is non-stretching in addition to non-breaking, so that when normal word spaces are stretched due to justification, &nbsp;'s appear thinner. Is that what you mean?
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #263
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi

I am not sure if this is the right thread (Regex examples!?) for this but I have been quoted for an old post by BangBangO. This post was sent a long time ago, before I knew there could be better solutions -mostly from Jellby.

I never tried to emulate nnbsp (narrow non-breaking space or espace fine in French) in any book of mine. I just quoted this possibility, which I really find heavy and unelegant.

The 90% good solution is to code the nnbsp. ADE 2.0 will take care of it.
The 100% best solution is to code the nnbsp and to use a font which already supports it.

However, even the 100% best will not avoid you falling apart with inventive Kobo hyphenation display (some attribute this poor showing to Adobe mobile renderer, of this I can't say).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=153

And to get back on the right track, this is the regex I use now to convert nbsp to nnbsp, following French typographic rules.

S: ([«])&nbsp;|&nbsp;([;!?»])
R: \1&#8239-;\2

Note: To get it working you need to suppress the - after 8239.

Last edited by roger64; 07-02-2013 at 04:00 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:56 AM   #264
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi

I have to clean some e-books with hundreds of
Code:
font-size: xxxxxx ;

Some xxxxx vary like: xx-small, large, etc. There can be or no some space inside.

Age prevented me to find the right regex; I probably mixed these ?....
Old 07-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #265
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
something like this?:

Code:
font-size:.*[;"]
.* : any amount of any kind of character (make sure to make the regex non-greedy, I don't know if there is a setting for this, or some kind of code you can add)
[;"] : either a semi-colon or a double quote (to catch the property when it's at the end of a style="..." attribute.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #266
roger64
Wizard

Thanks

I put this in my "saved searches"; it's working and helped me destroy 151 (!!!) font-sizes of various feather... Unbelievably crappy work for a very standard book..
Old 07-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #267
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Replacement for smcap

I would like to build a regex which will select only the lower case letters in a string.

I know this should be possible, but everything I have tried goes crazy.

Anyone have any ideas of what to try?
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #268
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I would like to build a regex which will select only the lower case letters in a string.
You can use the [[:lower:]] to search for lower case strings and [[:upper:]] to search for upper case strings. For some practical examples, see this post..
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #269
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You can use the [[:lower:]] to search for lower case strings and [[:upper:]] to search for upper case strings. For some practical examples, see this post..

Doitsu
Everything I do seems to me to be right but dowsn't work.

Here is what I'm trying to do:

Highlight a string, e.g.
Dear Mother

Relpace string with

D<small>EAR</small> M<small>OTHER</small>

and not have to do each word seperately.

Seems to me this should be quite simple but nothing seems to work.

I can't lose much more hair.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #270
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm sure that there's a more elegant solution, but the following simple regex should work:

Find: ([[:upper:]]{1,})([[:lower:]]+)
Replace: \1<small>\U\2\E</small>

Since this simple regex will find title case strings everywhere, you can't use it with Replace All, though.

To replace two consecutive title case words use the following regex:

Find: ([[:upper:]]{1,})([[:lower:]]+) ([[:upper:]]{1,})([[:lower:]]+)
Replace: \1<small>\U\2\E</small> \3<small>\U\4\E</small>

Last edited by Doitsu; 07-28-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote