Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Just popping in because it's a Galaxy Note thread. Picked one up last week and am thrilled with it! (And reminds me I should update my device list in my bio.)

Of course, I'm more of an e-writer than an e-reader, but, Hubby has already played around with Kindle app on his and is pretty pleased. I'll have to let him know about the other recommendations.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #17
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
I have a Galaxy Nexus and it is also functioning very well as an ereader with FBReader. Not quite so big as the Note but still has that gorgeous screen. I also have a Story HD and the screens on both are very good. The Nexus is good for use when I just want to read a short story etc on a bus ride or while having a cup of coffee. Also the backlighting is useful when light is poor. I can see a midsize tablet w/- phone capability being a very useful tool for many people.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
I can see a midsize tablet w/- phone capability being a very useful tool for many people.
I have had my Note for about two weeks. The screen size of 5.3" seems optimal between "still viable as a phone" and "comfortable enough as an ebook reader". Actually, it is the screen size combined with the resolution and speedy zoom, otherwise it wouldn't be so great.

I can see two main areas where Note could be the right device: PDF and magazine reading. It is comfortable enough to be carried anywhere, as one does with a mobile phone and the screen is big enough for an average magazine or PDF to be displayed full-size. I am able to read most PDFs on the Note without even zooming in (yes, I have a good eyesight!) and if I need to zoom, I can either "pinch" or double-tap the screen and the zoom is instantaneous. I have also tried one Zinio magazine and it is quite readable on Note.

Obviously, a 7" or 10" tablet would be much more comfortable for the eyes, but not so for the hands. To carry anything bigger than 5" one needs a bag or rucksack, while the Note still fits in the pocket.

Not long ago I had a Jetbook, which was slightly bigger than the Note, but PDF reading was a nightmare - screen resolution was too small, so I needed to zoom in all the time and every zoom-in or -out took so much time I just gave up.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #19
Neppah5
aneosia
Neppah5 began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Thunderbolt
I waiting for the Galaxy to become available from Verizon. Don't if it will. Does anyone here know if and when it may be coming to Verizon Wireless? I use their Thunderbolt to read on now, and just know the 5 " Note would be much better. I am two months past my upgrade date; but I won't be upgrading to anything with a smaller screen than the Note.

Last edited by Neppah5; 02-27-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Neppah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
No rumors have been leaked, so the public is in the dark as to if or when it's coming to other carriers.

The ony other manufacturer that has a phone any where near that size screen is the LG phone but they have no plans to to release the phone in the states.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #21
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I have an HTC EVO 4G 4" phone and a Samsung Galaxy Tab (original 7" model) and carry them both everywhere. The SGT fits in my trousers pocket, but is just a little too big to be comfortable, and it doesn’t function as a phone at all. Even if it did would be too big to use without an ear wart.

I stopped by an AT&T kiosk over the weekend and played with a Note for a bit, and decided that while there is a little compromise on both ends, this could work for me, and I could go back to carrying a single device, with the added benefit of a stylus.

My carrier is Sprint, and I’ve been waiting for the Galaxy Nexus, but now I think I’ll wait a bit longer to see if they pick this one up.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neppah5 View Post
I waiting for the Galaxy to become available from Verizon. Don't if it will. Does anyone here know if and when it may be coming to Verizon Wireless? I use their Thunderbolt to read on now, and just know the 5 " Note would be much better. I am two months past my upgrade date; but I won't be upgrading to anything with a smaller screen than the Note.
I know it went through FCC testing and authorisation, but I have no clue as to time frame or if the project was canceled after the FCC licensing fo some reason.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, samsung galaxy note