Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #16
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Yeah, no. I disagree that the technology is flailing miserably.

• Epaper is far more difficult to design and build than you suspect. The overwhelming majority of infrastructure to build displays is oriented towards LCD's, and getting epaper anywhere near the refresh rates of LCD's is extremely difficult. As a result, it has a much smaller market.

• The devices are consistently improving -- often just via firmware updates. They're getting smaller and lighter; connectivity options are increasing; speed is improving; battery life is growing; availability of commercial ebooks is booming; sales are up; the industry is expending more and more energy on ebooks. Heck, even some of the proofreading has improved slightly in the past year. Oh, and in case you didn't notice, prices have dropped dramatically over the past 18 months. That alone is a huge benefit.

As to the corporate comments, someone is always going to kvetch about whoever is ruling the roost at the moment. In the heyday of paper it was Barnes & Noble, who allegedly drove numerous independent bookstores and smaller chains out of business, and terrified the industry with its attempt to purchase Ingram. Amazon came out of nowhere and was the underdog, now that they've body-checked B&N it's their turn to be the Bad Guy. If Sony had the biggest market share, I'm sure someone would throw a temper tantrum every time they made a customer service misstep.

I concur that some things can always benefit from improvement, and there will be more advances very soon. However for a lot of types of reading, ebooks are fully usable right now -- which is why I've barely read any paper books in the past year or so.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
I am sorry but this is marketing speak. "The activity of reading" and "the people themselves". I won't go into "people themselves" because this is imho a vapid comment.
Vapid?
You don't think the reading can be a social activity?
Amazon has talked of implementing reading circles within their Walled garden; what do you think would happen if they did? A Facebook/XBL-like system where you can draw up a list of friends witth Kindles and see what they are reading and get highlights, commentary and quotes straight in the Kindle?
The activity of reading is more than locking yourself in a room to read; tis a lonely person who doesn't have friends to discuss their books with.

More importantly, the point about Kindle that annoys so many is that they're focused on the full reading activity; from *buying* to analyzing and commenting, after the fact.

Kindle is not a reader alone, it is a reading *environment*.
(That is what the reader apps for PC, Mac, smartphone, etc are all about.)
And Amazon has made it clear they are more interested in evolving the environment than the device.

Us hobbyists may be interested in the nuts-n-bolts of the hardware but so far the people are voting with their wallets for Amazon's approach.

Note that Overdrive is doing reader apps to extend their library ebook program, instead of relying on deals with hardware vendors. Note that B&N has done both. And even vaunted Sony, the darling of the hardware-only fans is doing apps.

Like it or not, the industry is following Amazon's lead in evolving the reading environment instead of the hardware.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:59 PM   #18
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Tell it to supporters of wire recorders, 8tracks, Quadraphonic LPs, or Laservision. (I suspect a lot of googling will be required there.)
Sadly, I understand all of those references and have hands-on experience with all but the wire recorder, which pre-dates even me!

8-tracks got killed by the smaller, more convenient cassette tapes that had better fidelity. Quadrophonic LPs were killed by the misguided notion that people wanted to be in the middle of the band; the concept was refined with Dolby SurroundSound. LaserDiscs were killed by a smaller, cheaper medium, the DVD. (You left out RCA's VideoDisc "SelectaVision" that used a stylus, wiped out by DiscoVision that used lasers, but I guess you couldn't list all of the failed tech!)

Adopting any new tech involves the risk that it will become outmoded or simply fail in the marketplace. I'm afraid that epub will fail, at least in the USA, because of the poor implementation: multiple-DRM schemes that destroy the "standard" and complex buying requirements when compared with the ease of buying a Kindle edition from Amazon. Still, I vote with my wallet and buy non-DRMed epubs, cross my fingers and hope the epub crowd gets its act together before Amazon rules the world.

And the publishers: Well, they simply need to be killed and their corpses bulldozed out of the way if they don't get a clue soon.

The tech is the least of my worries regarding ereaders, as it has been for the past five years. The Rocket Reader was more than adequate tech for the times. It was sucky marketing and greed by Goldstar that killed it. No, I don't think it's the tech that's holding ebooks back, but all the rest...the high prices of ebooks, the DRM, the geographic restrictions and the kludgy nature of the buying process (for all but Kindle).
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
But the fact that after so long we still can't get a meagre 9.7 screen one that isn't tied to amazon to read an epub on that is a failure of the technology evolving to "focusing on the activity of reading and the people themselves.", not some wet fantasy a techie like myself might have of what they'd want a device to do.
On the one hand you say Amazon is stifling the competition; on the other you note only Amazon sells a 9.7" reader, your desired format. The reality is that these will come to market when the public is ready -- you may be, but the public isn't. If 9.7" readers were highly desired, Irex would still be prospering and Amazon would be promoting the DX heavily.

And as fjtorres notes, Kindle is an environment -- and that's the business model which will win (as Apple has aptly proven with iPod/iTunes). Why? because it meets the needs of consumers who vote with their wallets. If you don't like Kindle, watch out for Kobo: its strategy is the same -- build a great bookstore and make the content readable on many different devices.

The whole DRM thing remains a huge red herring: it has no significant impact on the vast majority of e-book buyers. Yes, Kindle e-books don't work on a Sony/Kobo; but they work on all Kindles and a variety of other devices. (Kindle ebooks can also be simultaneously shared within a family on the same account.) Books purchased for Sony/Kobo and most ePub players work just fine on that class of devices. The great majority of content is available on both platforms; and in the past three months, e-readers have dropped low enough so you can afford both a Kindle 3 wifi and a Kobo for the price of a mainstream reader in June -- giving you best of both worlds.

E-readers are gaining in popularity because they do their job well, and they are easy to operate: which includes the purchase cycle. They are a lot like HDTVs: no one wants to fiddle to alter the picture, or adjust the reception. Sure, there are Home Theatre fans -- but everyone just wants plug-n-play. The latest Kindle 3 is a marked improvement on the Kindle 2 with improved screen, more user controls, better connectivity and at half the price. All this in a year. I think things are moving along just fine.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #20
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Sorry

...for saying anything about the truncated neologism.

Last edited by corona; 09-06-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: embarrassment, compounded
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #21
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
it's not that the public is not ready for 9.7" it's that no one can undercut amazon in the price to offer something similar because amazon is subsidising it with book sales. That's why irex went bust, it has neither amazon's clout nor it's business model, and it's in the business model. Plus, we are in a recession and already plenty of gadgets pry for attention, smart phones, ipads, gadgets of all sorts, computers...it's not easy for a single purpose book reading device. Plus someone has to create the market as per usual, the way apple does. But apple right now is killing everyone with a combines product that to some people is better than a single purpose e-reader. So if we oversimplify all these we reach the wrong conclusions.

But trust me, the market is there, and the public is ready, a decent a4 or close pdf e-reader will be a best seller in academia and people who read lots of technical articles for example.

Last edited by harryE123; 09-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #22
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
"Tec"??
it's not that hard to understand it's short for technology now is it.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #23
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
it's not that hard to understand it's short for technology now is it.
No, "tech" is short for technology.

You know, a big percentage of your posts include either direct statements calling people idiots or implied ones like above...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #24
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona View Post
"Tec"??
Yeah, it is kinda annoying when people misspell words but this is an international forum so I've just learned to ignore it since there are those who are doing good to translate from their native language to English.

Curiously enough, there seem to be more people that spell in English correctly here, no matter where they are from, than on boards I'm on that have pretty much 100% participation from US citizens who were born and educated in the US. To be blunt, our educational system sucks. I see high school grduates now who couldn't pass a fifth grade English class back when I was in school (I'm 61, you do the math).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #25
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
And besides that, where is my flying car? I was promised a flying car when I grew up!
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #26
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My sentiments exactly on the flying car...and don't forget the rocket pack! What did we get instead? The internet.

Hey, you want illiteracy...check out the comments at CNN.com on any article. It'll freeze the blood in your veins.

Jan
Old 09-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #27
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Hey, you want illiteracy...check out the comments at CNN.com on any article. It'll freeze the blood in your veins.
Or comments at Youtube or the IMDB.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #28
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Yes, Kindle e-books don't work on a Sony/Kobo; but they work on all Kindles and a variety of other devices.
Most notably, the Apple Ipad, which has its own content purchase model (iTunes and iBooks). Unlike Sony, Apple allowed Amazon to port its Kindle app to the iPad, and thus a number of users have started to ditch their Kindles. But, Amazon would rather have Kindle hardware sales cannibalized than lose the huge ebook market. Apple, on the other hand, had its motives in accommodating a major competitor, Amazon. Apple's not so secret plan is to establish the iPad as the number one tablet device. Eventually when they build up their iBooks store, they will subtly steal business from Amazon by offering the same large selection of books. Don't think that this is not Steve Jobs' master plan. Look what he did with the mp3 market!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
E-readers are gaining in popularity because they do their job well, and they are easy to operate: which includes the purchase cycle. They are a lot like HDTVs: no one wants to fiddle to alter the picture, or adjust the reception.
Not true. Users do not mind sideloading, if they can place content into their devices that is either free or not available from Amazon, Apple, etc. If that content happens to be a pdf file, I assure you that they will do a lot of tweaking with that file, to get fonts, paragraphs, and pictures displayed correctly. This dinosaur format (pdf) makes mechanics of us all. We have not reached that stage of technology where ereaders can be operated like appliances, with one button functionality.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
My sentiments exactly on the flying car...and don't forget the rocket pack! What did we get instead? The internet.

Jan
Yahoo.com news is just as bad. Then there are the two F-150 truck forums I visit from time to time. Talk about a bunch of illiterate rednecks with a handful of pseudoliterates tossed in pontificating pure B.S. Yeesh!

You probably remember all the wild claims for inventions magazines like Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, Science and Mechanics, and Mechanics Illustrated used to make. Pretty much none of them ever materialized. They were fun reads.

Does being a flatuent geriatric count for having a jet pack?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #30
J. Strnad
Guru

Quote:
Does being a flatuent geriatric count for having a jet pack?
"Hoist by your own petard" are you? I don't think that counts unless you're actually lifted off your fee.