Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #46
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
Since when has any mainstream publisher been the first publisher of unusual, quirky, offbeat, or politically risky ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Not in living memory.
I think think you stepped off into silliness.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I think think you stepped off into silliness.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2015, 05:15 PM   #48
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Hardcastle, I agreed with your points up until:

Boy, I'm glad you found those books. The indie e-books I've purchased (which are usually reprints by mid-list genre authors whose paper books went out of print) tend to be the opposite of what you describe. I Alf them and clean them up a bit, but it can be some work.

I support indie books and am glad that the e-book market has made it viable to bring these niche titles back into print. But I can't kid myself that, on the whole, the indies do a better job than the big guys. That is just demonstrably wrong.
I bought a omnibus of Tom Clancy's earlier novels (BPH published). One pf the novels had over a thousand scan and other errors in it, including whole pages that didn't scan properly. And, since this was an omnibus, the ebooks included had been being sold for a while before they were aggregated into the omnibus. The PBH's just don't care about the quality of their ebooks.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #49
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
We all have to make a living and authors are no different. While there are a few authors that make big money, most do not really make a living at what they love to do.
Right.
And all the groups purporting to represent them do a lot of handwringing about it and very little else.

But in the US, they have no problem ranting and raving at one of the few outfits doing anything to help authors help themselves, mostly because authors availing themselves of the opportunity have been too successful on this particular sight.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #50
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That was the whole point.
Silliness on both sides of a silly argument.
This is the US we're talking about.

There is no serious political thought to be found anywhere.
Advert
Old 07-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #51
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
The funny thing is, the more the self-important ones whine, the more transparent their motives become.
Objectively, the Guild is pro-indie because they want to keep major-published books at higher prices, allowing self-publishers to charge much less and still make a living. Also, the Guild opposes Amazon, whose remarkably high self-published eBook market share makes indie authors more vulnerable to their whims than major-published authors.

Objectively, those pushing for relatively low major publisher prices are the self-publishers' nemesis.

When opinions go so contrary to self-interest, motives don't matter.

Quote:
Discounting? They don't complain of B&N discounting. Or Costco discounting even though they get ripped off under deep discount accounting. They don't complain about Apple or Nook or Kobo ebooks. Why? Because those folks play the payola game.
OK. I'll bite. Who is paying off whom?

I'm especially interested in any Costco payola evidence, since, unlike Apple, Nook, and Kobo, we frequently patronize Costco.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #52
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
That was the whole point.
Silliness on both sides of a silly argument.
This is the US we're talking about.

There is no serious political thought to be found anywhere.
Not entirely true.
Just none within the confines of the major political parties or the publications beholden to them.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:07 AM   #53
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Not entirely true.
Just none within the confines of the major political parties or the publications beholden to them.
Outside or inside there is no meaningful debate.
Just venting. Posturing. Demonizing. And lots of lying. (Though that is integral to the field anyway.)
Debate involves exchanging of ideas and all any camp does these days is propaganda. No clean hands to be found anywhere. The greek guy with the lamp would shoot himself.

And that is what the self-important ones are involved in: propaganda, loaded with charged words, false accusations, hand-waving, and posturing, hoping the government will protect them from the realities of a changing world. They've been called on it:

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2014/1...-hachette.html

Look to the list of signatures of last year's campaign and you only see writers who succeded under the old rules trading on their celebrity, mortally afraid that the new rules will render them irrelevant. Look to LeGuin's rants, using political language of fearmongering, of "disappearing" people. That is not rational discourse, that is propaganda.

They want a political solution so they use the tools of the modern politician.

And even there they are behind the times because the propaganda of the day no longer relies on patroitism but rather on populism; politicians no longer pretend to be working for the good of the nation, just the self-interest of the voters. Even their posturing is last century.

Last edited by fjtorres; 07-16-2015 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I bought a omnibus of Tom Clancy's earlier novels (BPH published). One pf the novels had over a thousand scan and other errors in it, including whole pages that didn't scan properly. And, since this was an omnibus, the ebooks included had been being sold for a while before they were aggregated into the omnibus. The PBH's just don't care about the quality of their ebooks.
I accept that you got a crappy scan from a major publisher. There's always exceptions to rules. But on the whole can you honestly say that indie books are presented more professionally than books from the majors?

It hasn't been my experience and I'd wager that if major e-books were that terribly formatted as the norm, it would be a big story.

Again, I tend to buy more books from indies and small presses than the biggies. But the indies I tend to read are authors who have previously been published by a major publisher. Because that fact tells me they have at least some talent.

I'm not trying to run indies down. Just trying to keep it honest.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 07-16-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:24 PM   #55
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
I accept that you got a crappy scan from a major publisher. There's always exceptions to rules. But on the whole can you honestly say that indie books are presented more professionally than books from the majors?

It hasn't been my experience and I'd wager that if major e-books were that terribly formatted as the norm, it would be a big story.

Again, I tend to buy more books from indies and small presses than the biggies. But the indies I tend to read are authors who have previously been published by a major publisher. Because that fact tells me they have at least some talent.

My experience has been that new Indies on a budget often have editing problems in their initial releases, but that if their books find an audience subsequent books are better edited and earlier works get a makeover.

Big publishing houses are likely to skimp on quality control with genre fiction backlist titles.

If you have a limited tolerance for that, don't buy unless reader reviews confirm proper editing. If there are spelling or grammatical problems someone will mention it in their review.

I seldom buy unless I like what other readers are saying. .
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #56
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
If you have a limited tolerance for that, don't buy unless reader reviews confirm proper editing. If there are spelling or grammatical problems someone will mention it in their review.
I just buy the books I want to read and clean them up with Sigil or Calibre.

I was just disputing the assertion made earlier that big publishers put out sloppy books while indies put out hand-crafted miracles of formatting.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Dear Gummint,

Please beat up Amazon for me. But not so much that they can't still sell a metric crap-ton of my books.

KThanksBye
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Dear Gummint,

Please beat up Amazon for me. But not so much that they can't still sell a metric crap-ton of my books.

KThanksBye

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
Old 07-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #59
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Dear Gummint,

KThanksBye
P.S. Oh an keep your nose out of my Mary Wonna patch.

'Dude, thus stuff is frackn awesome'

Shut it, iz talking to the po here dude

'where? they here? run...'
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #60
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:

But if I'm paying $12.99 or $14.99 like the publishers want, I expect that they've at least proofed the scan errors. And, they are professional publishers, who make a big deal about the level of service they put into producing books.

Since the indie books are a lot cheaper, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote