Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2006, 01:51 AM   #1
argology
argology began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Memory

When I go shopping for memory for my brand-spanking-new PRS-500, what do I need to look for? This board includes mentions of miniSD cards, but the manual says that an adaptor is required for those.

Some background: since I can use USB to connect with Windows boxen, I would like to be able to use the memory card with Macs and Linux boxen. I don't currently have a card-reader, but am looking for suggestions on that, as well.

What's the simplest solution? Thanks!
argology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just get a standard SD card (not a mini-SD) and you'll be fine. You don't need anything fancy - just a plain, standard, cheap, SD card. No bigger than 2GB. Take the SD card out of the packet and let the Reader format it. Don't use it in any other device first.

Any old USB card reader will work fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Cogito
Reader
Cogito began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 500
Argology,
If you happen to have a MacBook pro, you can get an ExpressCard/34 SD card reader from the apple store. It fits inside the laptop flush with the side of he computer, I just leave it in there and it’s always available.
Craig
Cogito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:48 AM   #4
JoeTampa
JoeTampa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
just a plain, standard, cheap, SD card. No bigger than 2GB.

2G? I'd hate to browse the list of books when you fill THAT (which ought to take until 2037 sometime...)..

I have a 512M card and cannot imagine filling it.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTampa
2G? I'd hate to browse the list of books when you fill THAT (which ought to take until 2037 sometime...)..

I have a 512M card and cannot imagine filling it.
Yeah, you can get by fine with a smaller card if you don't plan on putting a lot of non-text files (RTF, LRF, PDF) on it. But, you might want a 2 GB to carry a lot of MP3 files, JPGs, or if you are planning to read a lot of graphical PDF's (e.g. manga).

I'm using an old 512MB memory stick and I don't think I'll ever fill it, either. As Joe points out, the current "flat" file structure of the Reader sort of discourages keeping a large number of books on it.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited by BobVA; 12-31-2006 at 10:16 AM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's so little difference in price these days that buying anything smaller than a GB or so seems a bit pointless. There are lots of other devices one can use SD cards in - cameras, MP3 players, PDAs, etc, you never know when it'll come in handy in the future.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
SeNS
Enthusiast
SeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enough

Device: Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Don't use it in any other device first.
Works fine for me without Reader formatting. Tested around 3 SD's: one from camera, one brand new (before and after formatting, standard FAT) and one from Jinke.
SeNS is offline   Reply With Quote