Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #301
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by enda View Post
Can Briss be put on Debian?
Briss is cross-platform and Java-based (see the first post in this thread), so yes, it can be run in Debian.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #302
Psyny
Psyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPsyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPsyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPsyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPsyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPsyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPsyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPsyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPsyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPsyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterPsyny can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle PapperWhite
Hello,

I'm new to mobile reading. And i'm with an little issue.
I'm trying to convert old scanned files. The problem is: the scanned files have 2 collumns. Using BRISS i can mark areas and divide they, ok. But theres a way to replicate the areas i've marked to crop to every page? I mean... i need to redo the crop marking in each page?

Thanks!
Psyny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #303
adamslast
adamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the endadamslast knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyny View Post
Hello,

I'm new to mobile reading. And i'm with an little issue.
I'm trying to convert old scanned files. The problem is: the scanned files have 2 collumns. Using BRISS i can mark areas and divide they, ok. But theres a way to replicate the areas i've marked to crop to every page? I mean... i need to redo the crop marking in each page?

Thanks!
When you divide columnes two, first click right button and choose select rectangle, then click again and choose copy rectangle and past on other page. But before paste you must deselect existing rectangle on new page. So you can copy the same rectangles to other pages.
adamslast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #304
aplicatii.ro
aplicatii.ro began at the beginning.

Device: none
briss vs calibre vs paidSolutions

Hi,
While converting from pdf to epub/rtf, I would like to remove the headers/footers/page numbers.
I've tried 2 solutions:

A) BRISS: I've been trying to crop with briss and use the cropped pdf in calibre. Unfortunately does not make a difference - Calibre Convertion still has the page numbers, headers and footers.
B) CALIBRE page setup input profile: I tried to put the correct pts values (figured out using briss) in the calibre page setup input profile, also did not help.
I've searched on this forum, could not find something to clarify some special settings, etc. From what I understand only Adobe Pro or other paid sw can crop "properly".

Questions:
1) Am I doing something wrong in briss ?
2) Am I doing something wrong in Calibre or there are some additional settings I could not find?
3) If briss&calibre cannot do it, is there some other open/free solution?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestion.
aplicatii.ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #305
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you run the Briss PDF output through Ghostscript to generate a new PDF, I believe it will permanently get rid of the cropped-out material so that it won't come back in calibre. E.g.

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=output.pdf input.pdf

(Thanks to Andrea Lazzarotto for the tip.)

Last edited by willus; 01-23-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Advert
Old 05-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #306
cakemind
cakemind began at the beginning.

Device: iPad mini
I'm having an odd problem using Briss to split the pages of a scanned pdf.

Everything works as advertised and it produces a really nice looking single page continuous pdf. However, there are random pages just missing from the output pdf. Some of the pages are odd-numbered and some are even-numbered. There will be several in a row that show up and then one or two that are missing.

I have tried flattening and optimizing the file in Acrobat as much as possible before processing it with Briss, but the same pages are always missing. They are just regular old text pages exactly like the surrounding ones that do show up after processing.

Any ideas what is going on?
cakemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #307
bookp
Connoisseur
bookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavensbookp is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Sony PRS-T3
Whenever I try to "Rectangle - Maximize to width", nothing happens.
Windows XP Pro 32 Bit (Virtual Machine), JRE 7 u79
bookp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:09 AM   #308
pedronac
pedronac began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Tolino, Kindle Paperwhite
Hello,
I need to crop several rectangles from a page.
I try to use the command line (so I do not need to do all the setup over GUI).
I used this command briss [-s SOURCE] [-d DESTINATION] [-c CROPARGS]

After several tries, the result is always the same ! Its very strange, It seams that some thing is setup at code level...

The commands tried :
1. ​java -jar briss-0.9.jar -s test.pdf -d split.pdf -c 0/0/0.5/0,0.5/0/0/0:0/0/0.5/0,0.5/0/0/0
2. java -jar briss-0.9.jar -s test.pdf -d split.pdf -c 0/0/5/0,5/0/0/0:0/0/5/0,5/0/0/0
3. java -jar briss-0.9.jar -s test.pdf -d split.pdf -c 1/2/3/4,1/2/3/4:1/2/3/4,1/2/3/4
4. java -jar briss-0.9.jar -s test.pdf -d split.pdf -c 0/0/0/0,0.5/0/0/0:0/0/0.5/0,0.5/0/0/0
5. java -jar briss-0.9.jar -s test.pdf -d split.pdf -c 0/0/0/0,0/0/0/0:0/0/0/0,0/0/0/0
6. java -jar briss-0.9.jar -s test.pdf -d split.pdf

Can someone help me, like explain the command and its variables "CROPARGS".

Thanks à lot.
pedronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:31 AM   #309
pedronac
pedronac began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Tolino, Kindle Paperwhite
here (http://www.gargan.org/downloads/bris...ine_crop.patch) I found:
"System.out.println("CROPARGS are in the format: part1_page1,part2_page1,...!part1_page2,part2_page 2 \n where each part consists of 4 numbers: top/left/bottom/right")"

Than, I tried :
"java -jar briss-0.9.jar -s test.pdf -d split.pdf -c 10/10/200/200:10/10/200/200"

I get the very same output.
Why it does not work the command line?
pedronac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #310
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedronac View Post
Hello,
I need to crop several rectangles from a page.
I try to use the command line (so I do not need to do all the setup over GUI)...
This can be done w/k2pdfopt as well. See the -mode and -cbox options in the command-line usage. Something like so:

Code:
k2pdfopt -mode crop -cbox <cropdims1> -cbox <cropdims2> [...] sourcefile.pdf
example:

Code:
k2pdfopt -mode crop -cbox 1in,1in,2in,3in -cbox 5in,4in,2.5in,3.5in myfile.pdf
This would take a 2x3 inch box, starting 1 inch from the left and 1 inch from the top, on each source page, and create a destination page out of it, followed by a 2.5x3.5 inch box, starting 5 inches from the left and 4 inches from the top of each source page. You can also specify a source page range for each crop box, e.g. -cbox2-10 <cropdims> would apply those crop dimensions to only source pages 2 through 10.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #311
ricardobusquet
ricardobusquet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
This can be done w/k2pdfopt as well. See the -mode and -cbox options in the command-line usage. Something like so:

Code:
k2pdfopt -mode crop -cbox <cropdims1> -cbox <cropdims2> [...] sourcefile.pdf
example:

Code:
k2pdfopt -mode crop -cbox 1in,1in,2in,3in -cbox 5in,4in,2.5in,3.5in myfile.pdf
This would take a 2x3 inch box, starting 1 inch from the left and 1 inch from the top, on each source page, and create a destination page out of it, followed by a 2.5x3.5 inch box, starting 5 inches from the left and 4 inches from the top of each source page. You can also specify a source page range for each crop box, e.g. -cbox2-10 <cropdims> would apply those crop dimensions to only source pages 2 through 10.
I was struggling with your software to figure out how to crop blocks of text in a pdf, thanks for clarifying ^^
ricardobusquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:47 AM   #312
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
hi ! i want to crop multiple pdf (about 30 gb of pdf)
Is there a solution to do it automaticaly

Thank
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #313
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
hi ! i want to crop multiple pdf (about 30 gb of pdf)
Is there a solution to do it automaticaly

Thank
There are several tools to do this, Briss and k2pdfopt among them. Are all of your PDF documents the same size and you want to crop them all the same way, or do you want some sort of automatic cropping of unused margins, or something else? Posting an example or two would help.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #314
Icey
Connoisseur
Icey began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx max
Hi
I have alot of books, maybe 30gb of differents type of books so differents seize and margin

Thankss
Icey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #315
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey View Post
Hi
I have alot of books, maybe 30gb of differents type of books so differents seize and margin

Thankss
It's still very ambiguous what you would like to do, but maybe try k2pdfopt and select "trim" from the conversion modes (upper left in MS Windows GUI). See how you like the result. It will batch process multiple files. Not as sure about Briss.

Tags
cropping pdf, pdf