Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Thumbs up Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Rick Riordan- Percy Jackson & the Olympians
This is a series of 5 books aimed for the younger readers.

My daughter happened to go to the movie, and was blown away.
So I went looking for the original books.
Just finished reading the first book "The Lighting Thief"

Very interesting basic premise (The "gods" of ancient Greece and Rome are still with us)
The Hero of the story is just that, a classic "Hero" of the old school, half mortal, half god. Ohh and he's like 12, and has more than his share of problems.

The good, story kept me very much engaged throughout, action never slowed down. Story line was pretty plausible all things considered.
No sex, not much in the way of bad language. Lots of twists and turns in the plot.

The bad, well if its there I haven't found it yet. Seriously

The Great, well this is a very easy way to get modern people interested in the old mythology.
This is going to grab kids by the ears and drag them off for an incredible adventure. Excellent choice for anyone with children who are trying to encourage them to read.

5 of 5 stars, 2 thumbs firmly up, this is an excellent straight up read for anyone who likes action adventure.
If you have any interest at all in kids, or the "old Gods" such as Zeus, Poseidon, or Greek Mythology you'll love it.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Thanks for the review I'm always looking for good books for my kids
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
stxopher
Nameless Being

Good short review. Get parental requests for books for their kids and I agree with your opinions.

Couple of other pluses:

All the books are out and at a good price. That makes them reasonable to get.

Another thing is they are NOT "Harry Potter" long. That means they're not nearly as intimidating to new readers or kids to busy to invest days in completing a single book.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
My boss and her kids have them all and are on book 3. They love them and are trying to convince me to read them next.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
kainne
Connoisseur
kainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-700
I've read the first two & enjoyed them. Never even heard of them till I saw the movie trailer.
kainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
A few of my students have told me about this series, though I've not read it yet. They definitely enjoy it! (they've been grade 3-5 students).
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
My husband -- who does not normally read for fun -- has been collecting this series. It's the only time that I have ever seen him pick up a book on his own. I haven't read it myself; I'm thinking of watching the movie first. (He's already said he'd like to go see it.)
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I know I'm not the target audience for this, but when I read the first book of the series all it did for me was make me appreciate how good a writer J.K. Rowling is.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
lovelyloey
Enthusiast
lovelyloey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
I recently finished the series too and I like it! I love the wry humour from some of the characters, the action and adventure, and the mythological characters.
lovelyloey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
mmefford
mmefford began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
My son and I both read this series and liked it a lot. It's not Harry Potter, but what is? It's an enjoyable series, and what I've really liked about it is my son is now very interested in Greek and Nordic mythology. Riordan does a good job of staying fairly close to the actual myths, though he dresses them up in modern clothes. Definitely worth the money.
mmefford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Another thing is they are NOT "Harry Potter" long. That means they're not nearly as intimidating to new readers or kids to busy to invest days in completing a single book.
BTW: The first Harry Potter book is not all that long... they get longer as you go through the series. But, by the time the reader gets to the third book they are hooked, and don't care how long they are any more... they might even think they end to quickly.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I wanted to read this series, but it's not available on Sony. So I won't be reading it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I wanted to read this series, but it's not available on Sony. So I won't be reading it.
If you don't mind stripping DRM from Mobipocket format and converting to ePub, you can get at least the first book from Cyberread. Cyberread is having a sale that ends today if you hurry.

Quote:
Due to the success of our new loyalty program we are rewarding you with a 2 day sale.

Feburary 27 and 28 we are offering 25% off every book in the store!!!

Enter the code LOYALTY in the coupon code to receive the discount.

For more information about the loyalty program click here

All purchases will go towards your next level of loyalty.
The first book is $7.99. For a discounted price of $5.99.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
I have already finished the series and throughly enjoyed all of them. I must say though that the movie was really disappointing, nevertheless I can do nothing but recommend the series. Even if it is supposedly a children's book series, I see no reason why people of any age group won't enjoy it.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #15
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
BTW: The first Harry Potter book is not all that long... they get longer as you go through the series. But, by the time the reader gets to the third book they are hooked, and don't care how long they are any more... they might even think they end to quickly.
True. But the hard part for many kids in the targeted bracket is getting them to read the first one at all. Seeing a shelf of Potter and a much smaller shelf of Percy, some of the more "resistant" test subjects might be willing to force themselves through the Percy pile. (Another point for ebooks: they never know how big a book is before they start.)

Though a nice trick to get them to read is to publicly share in-jokes with the ones that have read them. (Settle down! You're not in the Ares cabin you know!) Never underestimate the power of a youngster feeling left out.