Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Sharp PC-Z1 Netwalker

I just acquired a Sharp PC-Z1 Netwalker.

For those who don't know, it's the second coming of the Sharp Zaurus.

Form factor is similar to those nifty pocket dictionaries/translation tools that are so big in Japan, only with a colour screen (1024x600) and an ARM Cortex A8 clocked at 800MHz running Ubuntu 9.04. (RAM: 512Mb. Storage: 4Gb FLASH SSD, plus microSDHC slot -- mine's occupied by a 16Gb card -- and two USB ports. Wifi, no bluetooth.)

I can confirm that FBReader is installable via "Add/Remove applications" (i.e. nearly idiot-proof). There's an outdated version of Calibre in the Ubuntu repository; I'm going to try building 0.6.14 later today (it needs some dependencies fixing first).

The screen is pin-sharp and very bright, and while the official battery life of 10 hours is unlikely, reports of 7.5 hours with wifi are probably true. The real attraction is a pocket netbook that can run OpenOffice, Thunderbird, or Firefox ... but it's promising enough as an ebook reader to be worth a look.

(Grey market imports available via conics.net; mine came from a different source, although I've bought from Conics before and my experience of them was good.)
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
m26k9
Enthusiast
m26k9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
How is the mouse navigation?
I tried one in a shop and it felt very inconvinient handling with one hand because optical mouse tracker is on the top right and the mouse buttons are on the top left. Is there another way to navigate and click?
m26k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
jimscraft
jimscraft began at the beginning.

cstross- I just got my Netwalker from Conics today, charged it up and tried to get things going, but I don't know Japanese and can't get past the first two screens. It is supposed to be easy to switch to english, but I haven't figured it out and there wasn't any instructions (in english) to accomplish this. Can you help???
Thanks, Jim
jimscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimscraft View Post
cstross- I just got my Netwalker from Conics today, charged it up and tried to get things going, but I don't know Japanese and can't get past the first two screens. It is supposed to be easy to switch to english, but I haven't figured it out and there wasn't any instructions (in english) to accomplish this. Can you help???
Thanks, Jim
Conics have a video showing how to do this: instructions here (I don't know how to embed videos using bbcode).
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
jimscraft
jimscraft began at the beginning.

cstross- Thanks for the info- works perfectly!!! Have a great day!
jimscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
XE1UFO
XE1UFO began at the beginning.

Device: Sharp Netwalker
RE: NEW NETWALKER USER GROUP ON YAHOO

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/s...guid=219196859
XE1UFO is offline   Reply With Quote