Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
lininjim
lininjim began at the beginning.

Device: prs505; prs600 - sold, iPad, Kindle 3
Unhappy Weird formatting.

I have a Sony prs-505, intel iMac and always the latest version of Calibre (thank you for this)

The problem I have is this. When I import a book from my hard drive onto my book, I edit the metadata so it is right. I make sure the title and author are right, I make sure it has the series filled in, if appropriate so it goes into the right collection and it looks fine in the library screen.
I have found, due to display truncation on the reader that I don't always see the title in full so I put (01), (02) etc in the title to make sure I read them in the right order (I don't trust the reader to put them in the collection in the right order any more, I've been let down before)

What happens is this. When I move it over to my reader (whether converting or not) it changes the title, the author, anything it chooses, back to the file name from the original source, and all my hard work is undone.
I then try redoing it on the reader screen, and it all looks good again. I resync it and it all goes awry again. The changes don't save.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? I have been using this software for almost a year now and wasn't aware that I was blessed with so much patience, but I am running out.

My source files are not necessarily purchased books, so the titles come from the original...donor, shall we say.

Do I need to doctor the file names before I put them into my Calibre Library?

This is how it looks on the reader screen

A_Night_in_the_Netherhells_(Ebenezum_03)_-_Craig_Shaw_Gardner_30 (Title)

Unknown (Author)

or sometimes -
Microsoft Word - Kinsella, Sophie - 01 - The Secret Dreamworld Of A Shopaholic.doc (Title)

my name (Author)
lininjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:48 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
What format are the books in? TXT files for instance do not support metadata and the reader will regenerate the metadata based on the file name for this file type.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
lininjim

The two shown in my original post are in .pdf or .doc. I rarely use .txt ones. I have .html but mainly they are .pdf

What I can also see is that my books, in the reader pane, have a lot of their last letter changed to a weird symbol and despite changing them back, upon a reload they are back to Chinese writing, but only on the last letter.
Diane Duan纛
02 The compass of the souꆬ

Last edited by lininjim; 12-02-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, this is a long standing problem with certain reader firmware, that I have never been able to duplicate with my reader, so cannot fix.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
lininjim

Ah, bummer, well thank you for your attention anyway. I shall work on my patience instead.

Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 09:44 AM   #6
lininjim

Right, I now have a prs-600 as well and am having the same problem with this too.

Also, I have found that it is not using the series field to sort them into collections on the reader, but rather it is using the tags. I verified this by altering the tags on the reader screen to be the same as the series, and now they are all sorted properly on the reader.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I have been able to fix problems like that by editing the files themselves. I use Adobe Acrobat to edit PDF properties fixing the metadata and the same thing with word documents...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:50 AM   #8
lininjim

In layman's terms, get my source, do a "save as" and take it from there?