Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
backing up calibre library?

What is the best way to backup my calibre library to a usb drive?
Just copy the calibre library folder to the drive, use create library, or use save to disk for each book I add? I don't really know the difference between those options.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Backing up is simple. Just copy the library folder to the USB drive.

You're other choices:

Create Library will make a new empty library at a new location.

Save to disk saves each book individually. This would be more for getting a book out of calibre with all metadata (that's possible) written to the book. One major use for this is taking a book out to edit then re-adding it once you're changes are done.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Yes, I would just copy the whole thing to a USB drive as User_None suggests. You should also add it to the data you back up on your computer (you DO back up your computer, don't you?)
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #4
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I use cardboard and slowly etch in each and every author and title.....I use different color pens for each genre.....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I use cardboard and slowly etch in each and every author and title.....I use different color pens for each genre.....
Hey! That sounds a lot lighter and faster than chisiling each title into a blok of granite
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post

But you back-up on etched stone tablets?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I *DREAM* of stone tablets! I'm using mud spread on large trays that I use a stylus to write on, and then let them harden in the sun!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
CazMar
Book Geek

We'll soon have to move this thread to "unutterably silly"!
Crossi - I hope you did get some information from all of us comedians here at MR
Old 07-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
We'll soon have to move this thread to "unutterably silly"!
Crossi - I hope you did get some information from all of us comedians here at MR
You think those "unutterably silly" comments qualify anyone as a "comedian?" I have too much respect for comedians.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
iwaddo77
iwaddo77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi, the Calibre folder contains all my books which I have including in my backup, where are the config, database and plugin files I should also backup to enable a full restore in case of emergency.

Fantastic app especially now I can get automatic series, series sequencing and collections on my kindle.

Regards
iwaddo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaddo77 View Post
Hi, the Calibre folder contains all my books which I have including in my backup, where are the config, database and plugin files I should also backup to enable a full restore in case of emergency.
The database is in the same folder as your books, metadata.db. Go to Preferences - Miscellaneous and click on the "Open calibre configuration directory" to find the location of your plugins and configuration.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote