Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #1
ijbrewst
ijbrewst began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Need 3G in Australia?

I am not too knowledgable re wifi and hotspots. If I buy a Kindle without 3G for use in Australia (and maybe NZ) will I still find several wifi access points around the country? Will I have to register/sign in to use those points? Would I have to pay for the links?
ijbrewst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I don't know about the accessibility, I am fairly certain you will not have to pay for the links or register. your fellow countrymen should be logging on shortly and hopefully you will have a more complete answer

welcome to the forums!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
There are not a lot of freebie wifi hotspots in Australia. I recommend paying the extra $50 and get the 3G. It's free access and is available anywhere in Australia that has 3G phone coverage.

I think that many people who buy the wifi only model regret not buying the wifi/3G.

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have the WiFi only and it's pretty crashy. I also know some who have the 3G version and have reported no problems.

I've been recommending to friends that they buy the 3G version and pay the extra $50.

If you do want access all around the place I wouldn't rely on WiFi hotspots anyway. 3G seems to be alot simpler as long as you're in a 3G area.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:49 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd certainly recommend getting the 3G version. The wireless delivery of books works exceptionally well, and it's nice not to have to rely on finding a WiFi hotspot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #6
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
I have a Kindle 3G wifi with all of the bells and whistles.

I have never had any trouble with it at all.

Good luck.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:12 AM   #7
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
macdonalds have free wifi and we also have it in Adelaide CBD. I think the extra for 3G is worth it, but bear in mind it is through vodafone, so if you are not in the main populated areas of Australia then the 3G may also be an issue. Of course you can always download to your kindle through your computer.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:45 AM   #8
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
macdonalds have free wifi and we also have it in Adelaide CBD. I think the extra for 3G is worth it, but bear in mind it is through vodafone, so if you are not in the main populated areas of Australia then the 3G may also be an issue. Of course you can always download to your kindle through your computer.
Another good reason to spend lots more $'s and buy a DXG. It still works on the Telstra 3G network (no wifi though). Better 3G coverage and faster 3G net speeds. The larger screen is also much better for reading pdf's and all e-books in general. I love mine! My wife still likes her K3 wifi/3G better since it's smaller/lighter.

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #9
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Another good reason to spend lots more $'s and buy a DXG. It still works on the Telstra 3G network (no wifi though). Better 3G coverage and faster 3G net speeds. The larger screen is also much better for reading pdf's and all e-books in general. I love mine! My wife still likes her K3 wifi/3G better since it's smaller/lighter.

Cheers,
Tom
I agree with your wife.

Mine is always in my handbag.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
I agree with your wife.

Mine is always in my handbag.

Cheers
Mine too. Actually, I have two, one in the bag and one in the lounge. I think the DX is just a little large for me but I can see why they are popular.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #11
stargazir
Enthusiast
stargazir has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Your best option is a McDonalds and occasionally cafes that may offer it as a promo with purchase. While there are plenty of McDonalds in Australia, having to find one just to get online isn't exactly convenient.
Since so many people have internet on their cellphone in Australia, Wi-Fi isn't really all that common. While I know you shouldn't buy a kindle for internet a big swaying point in choosing my ereader was that I could finally have internet when I wanted it while out and about.
stargazir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
ijbrewst
ijbrewst began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Thankyou all for your very helpful comments. I will go 3G when I can.
ijbrewst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yes, in Australia the free 3G internet that comes with it makes that one the one to get for sure. $50 or whatever won't get you much mobile internet access if you have to pay for it.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:41 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would caution about getting a Kindle specifically for Internet access. The Kindle's browser is not wonderful. I find myself using my iPhone for mobile Internet, not my Kindle. Yes, I have to pay a moderate amount for it, but it's 100x better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #15
negiarcian
negiarcian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
in New Zealand, you can use the 3G to get to amazon, & maybe wikipedia but general browsing is "restricted due to local conditions".

This is a listing of countries where 3G browsing is available http://amzn.to/uk-3gwebwhere
negiarcian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3glink, kindle, wifi