Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
CosineX
CosineX began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kobo vs. Sony Pocket

So obviously, I'm trying to decide which e-reader to buy. Right now I'm volleying between the Sony 300 and the Kobo (either the original or the new one). Both are cheap enough that price isn't really a factor. However, I'd be willing to check out a reader in a similar price range. Also, both support ePub natively which is a necessity for me. Here's what I have so far...

<b>Kobo</b>
<i>Pros</i>
Sleek design
Slimmer
Buy books most often from Chapters
6' screen
WiFi (in new version)

<i>Cons</i>
May not be durable
No sorting by genre/series
I've seen lots of problems on the boards here

<b>Sony Pocket</b>
<i>Pros</i>
Fairly reliable reviews
Looks durable
Sorting option

<i>Cons</i>
Looks bulky and old
I don't like the look of the Sony store
5' screen

So, any suggestions? Reviews one way or the other?
CosineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Some thoughts.

1. Both Sony and Kobo use Adobe DRM, therefore the book stores are not actually tied to the reader. You can buy from Sony, Kobo, Fictionwise, etc. and the books will work on the device as long as it has been authorized to your account through Adobe.

2. The Sony PRS-300 design is actually younger than the fundamental design for the Kobo which is essentially a reskinned version of the same reader made by Netronics that is sold by a whole lot of the smaller eReader companies. The extra keys on the Sony can help make navigation easier.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
enriquem
enriquem began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
My Two Cents:

What it comes down is how comfortable the ereader is to you. For me, the kobo was the right weight and had the soft backing, so I decided that over ease of navigation. The kobo is slower and not as robust in functionality, but for me it was great. Go to a Borders and just hold and read a page or two of these two products. They are awesome, and once you go ereader, you wont go back....I promise
enriquem is offline   Reply With Quote