Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #46
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
But three years is not really a reasonable lifetime for your data. Say your family photo or your e-book collection and three years is not a long lifetime for a machine. I've got two machines running on ten years and two newer ones. A 1TB drive costs less tha $100 in many places and is small enough to fit in a pocket now.
Yes, but your 1 TB drive will likely fail within 3 years assuming constant use. (Mine just did, in fact.)

The effective cost here of the cloud storage is the difference between this chromebook and ultrabooks or the MacBook Air, assuming that you've bought into the trade-off between local processing and cloud computing that provide the benefits you'd get with the chromebook.

That premium then is perhaps somewhere between $200 and $300, given the quality of the screen and build on this device. So the difference isn't really that large, given that you're also relieved of the hassle of backing up to that TB drive regularly.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 02-22-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #47
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Aside from your allusion to sidestepping malware, I don't see what problem the Pixel solves. At $199, the value proposition is clear. Beyond that?
Beyond that you're paying for the build quality of the machine itself, and the TB of cloud storage, just as you would be for a similar quality ultrabook or MacBook Air.

Graham
Old 02-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #48
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Meh. I got an excellent desktop back in january that has twice the memory, way better processing power and upgradable for less than this. Should last be at least 4-6 years. Tablets and tablet computers are fine for entertainment purposes. But for any actual work they are not. A $1300 pricetag for a toy like this is crazy.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #49
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Meh. I got an excellent desktop back in january that has twice the memory, way better processing power and upgradable for less than this. Should last be at least 4-6 years. Tablets and tablet computers are fine for entertainment purposes. But for any actual work they are not. A $1300 pricetag for a toy like this is crazy.
This is neither a tablet computer nor a desktop (which can always be had more cheaply than a high end laptop.)

Graham
Old 02-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just make the screen available and build a real laptop around it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #51
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Ah, you ordinary folk with only plebeian and pedestrian thought processes, just don't get it.

Google has a vision. A dream. A mission!

This Pixel is Google's "Holy Ark" showing the way.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #52
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just make the screen available and build a real laptop around it.
What's unreal about the Chromebook?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #53
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Is a glorified web browser. The only real advantage it has is a fast boot up time, which hardly seems to matter given that most people just put their devices in sleep mode.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The crap inside the case and the keyboard (no keypad).

I like the screen. It would be awesome for a Windows 7 based laptop.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #55
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Even paying $199 for the privilege of providing Google with my personal data every step of the way (by using a chromebook), when I already have plenty of other browsing devices available, seems ludicrous to me. They should pay me 199 to use it, that would make sense.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #56
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Even paying $199 for the privilege of providing Google with my personal data every step of the way (by using a chromebook), when I already have plenty of other browsing devices available, seems ludicrous to me. They should pay me 199 to use it, that would make sense.
Every year.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #57
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
It doesn't have to be that way.
I have set up chrome and chrome (os) on my desktop.
I use a Google account set up with my initials. There is no mail. There are no contacts, no credit card. I can now download apps, etc.
If I wish to buy something from Google Play Store, I will put in a credit card or maybe PayPal. I do that a lot with credit cards. I have a special one for online purchases.

I don't have that $199 device (the Acer C7 - I presume) yet because I want more battery life. I like the 320GB HD. I can add 2GB to make a total of 4GB for about $12.
According to the gurus out there, I could put Ubuntu on it and make it a dual boot, and even add more memory. I have never done dual boot, but it makes for more possibilities.
I looked at the Chrome (offline) Apps. I can do all I want to do with them without a cloud.

It will take the place of my net-book in time and give me only 1 MS machine that I use. I look at it as "less headaches."

Could I be wrong? Could Chrome OS bring its own headaches. I guess the "truth in the pudding is in the eating."
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:45 PM   #58
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Given the choice to spend $1,500 on either a crippled laptop or a wearable computer with a HUD, I would choose the latter every time.
A wearable computer that's probably not even half as capable a device as the crippled laptop, or even a $300 no-name Android 2.3 tablet from 2 years ago...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #59
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Yes, but your 1 TB drive will likely fail within 3 years assuming constant use. (Mine just did, in fact.)
Crappy drive, then. My 64GB Western Digital drive has been in use since at least 2004. It started as my D:\, but got promoted to C:\ (replacing a 6GB from ~2000 - which I'm sure still works, but I only have one IDE bus/cable on this mobo, so can't test it) a few years ago.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 02-23-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #60
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Is a glorified web browser. The only real advantage it has is a fast boot up time, which hardly seems to matter given that most people just put their devices in sleep mode.
How fast does it need to be, really? My Win7 desktop, using a bog-standard 7200rpm HD, boots to a usable desktop in under 30 seconds (about the same time as my Kobo Arc, actually) from powered off.

EDIT: Bleh. Didn't notice the forum wasn't automatically merging consecutive responses.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 02-22-2013 at 11:03 PM.