Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #1
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Read library books on iPad?

I just got a 3G iPad and am trying to figure out if there is a way to read library books on it. Is there some app that will allow me to transfer the books over and view them? I have been trying to figure this out for the last hour and it seems like it can't be done. I would just like a definitive answer one way or the other. Thanks for any help with this!
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
De-la-max
De-la-max began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hey,

You should install iBooks - it's a free application in AppStore.
De-la-max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_g View Post
I just got a 3G iPad and am trying to figure out if there is a way to read library books on it. Is there some app that will allow me to transfer the books over and view them? I have been trying to figure this out for the last hour and it seems like it can't be done. I would just like a definitive answer one way or the other. Thanks for any help with this!
Really good question. I'd like to know the answer as well. Since I books uses epub, perhaps. But others will have to chime in.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_g View Post
What format are your library books?
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Well you can load books from you library if they come in unencrypted PDF or ePub format, anything else and you will have to remove the DRM and/or convert the format. There are a few threads around explaining how to do both of these.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Well, I read that iBooks can read the epub format, so I downloaded a couple from my library to my iMac. However, you need Adobe Digital Editions to read them on the computer and I can't find a way to make them work on the iPad. I know iBooks can read unencrypted epub format, but I am thinking that it is not possible to read the encrypted library books using epub. Does anyone know if there is another app or way to make them work on the iPad? I'm loving the iPad as a book reader, but sure would love to not have to buy every book. It seems crazy that some ereaders can use the encrypted epub books, while others can't. Thanks for the replies!
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I think your best bet is going to be the Kobo app. I am pretty sure they use Adobe DRM which is what most libraries use. However, I'm not sure if the provide a way to side load books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
There is a way to remove the Adobe encryption and make them DRM-free epub files which will then easily load into iTunes and iBooks on your iPad. However it is against the rules to discuss the methods and procedures here on MobileRead as it is against the law in certain countries (it is illegal in the US). If you search with Google/Bing/Yahoo you'll find instructions elsewhere.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
There is currently no way to read library books with DRM from Overdrive on the iPad or iPhone short of removing the DRM, which is illegal in the US.
  1. Kobo reader does not support side-loading of books.
  2. Txtr does support side-loading books, but does not support remote authorization, which is required for books with time-limited DRM such as those borrowed from the library.
  3. iBooks will not read ePubs with DRM that are not purchased in the iBooks store.

Relevant links:
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any word on the Overdrive reading app?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Try Bluefire Reader-it's an app in the App Store..works like a charm! I'm very excited.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote