Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
CBSnews: iPad Mania (video report)

Electronics consumers are eagerly awaiting the upcoming release of the coveted Apple iPad, although some tech-users are not too enthused by the device. John Blackstone reports from San Francisco.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ted;photovideo
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I laugh at the guy that said "I just think its a big waste of money."...

News flash... There is a lot of stuff that someone will say is a waste of money that someone else buys. That's why we are all different and have our own opinions. For example, I think buying a Hummer to commute to work by your self on 100% paved roads and highways is a wast of money. But, I don't begrudge those that buy them... well, except for the fact that they are probably using my grandchildren's gasoline.

So, "man on the street" thanks for proving we are all different.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I think it's strange, how people always focus on what 'something' can't do, instead of what it can do...

Working with disabled people I like to focus on abilities rather than disabilities...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
mikemck
Enthusiast
mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!mikemck goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS 300, IPod Touch (Stanza)
Quote "Who is ready for the first day of the rest of their lives!"

Epic

Last edited by mikemck; 04-03-2010 at 10:05 PM.
mikemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemck View Post
Quote "Who is ready for the first day of the rest of their lives!"

Epic
Another Modern Family fan?

BOb
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Can someone please explain to me just what the iPad is? It just looks like a touchscreen laptop, which have been around for years.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Can someone please explain to me just what the iPad is? It just looks like a touchscreen laptop, which have been around for years.
Yep... although this is the first one that appears to be practical in terms of weight, size, screen quality, speed, battery life, application availability and price. Most of the previous tries had problems like they were very heavy, the battery lasted less than 3 hours, the screens we very low res.. etc.

So, yes, it is nothing new... unless you consider it solves most of the complaints of earlier devices. Of course, the iPad has its issues also.

BOb
Old 04-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yep... although this is the first one that appears to be practical in terms of weight, size, screen quality, speed, battery life, application availability and price. Most of the previous tries had problems like they were very heavy, the battery lasted less than 3 hours, the screens we very low res.. etc.

So, yes, it is nothing new... unless you consider it solves most of the complaints of earlier devices. Of course, the iPad has its issues also.

BOb
Also I expect (haven't tried it yet to know for sure) that it will be easier for a layperson to use for common tasks than the tablet computers.

On the other hand, I already have an iPod Touch and I'm not sure the bigger screen and other goodies will make that much difference. But I was wrong about the Kindle 2 and I could be wrong about this.

I'm planning on letting other people be the lab rats who try it out for me. But I'm interested enough to keep an eye on it. :-)
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
One aspect of this device that is very cool is the usability is very high. You can sit my grandmother in front of a computer (mac or pc) and she will struggle to find things to do on it, getting her to open the photo program and open some photos for example. On this thing I just explained a couple of gestures and she was browsing galleries herself and even started browsing e-books.

I have no doubt I could buy her one and she would use it regularly, unlike the PC she has in the corner collecting dust because it's 'hard to use'. A lot of people just want something that is simple and works. They don't care about the things geeks care about (multi-tasking, USB ports), they just have a list of real world things they want to do and this device will do it for them.

IMO it's a shift in the paradigm of what is required to use a computer, I experienced the same feeling when I shifted from Win XP to OS X 3 years ago - suddenly the OS was working with me to make life easier (Mac usability), not getting in the way.

Last edited by fugazied; 04-04-2010 at 05:54 PM.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote