Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: How Should I start off the New Year?
The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1-5) by Douglas Adams 15 39.47%
Dust (Jacob's Ladder #1) by Elizabeth Bear 3 7.89%
Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy #1) by Pierce Brown 0 0%
Gardens of the Moon (The Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) by Steven Erikson 3 7.89%
Seraphina (Seraphina #1) by Rachel Hartman 1 2.63%
Lord of the Silver Bow (Troy #1) by David Gemmell 1 2.63%
Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie 9 23.68%
Blood Song (Raven's Shadow #1) by Anthony Ryan 1 2.63%
The Madman's Daughter (The Madman's Daughter #1) by Megan Shepheard 1 2.63%
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland #1) by Catherynne M. Valente 2 5.26%
Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles #1) by Patricia C. Wrede 5 13.16%
Mr. Shivers by Robert Jackson Bennett 0 0%
The Book by M. Clifford 1 2.63%
Bird Box by Josh Malerman 0 0%
Swan Song by Robert McCammon 1 2.63%
The Martian by Andy Weir 21 55.26%
The Iron King (Les Rois Maudits #1) aka (The Accursed Kings #1) by Maurice Druon 5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2015, 02:29 AM   #31
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Me too. And I couldn't get past the first couple chapters.

That's not a criticism. I don't believe you can judge a book by the first few chapters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I've only heard of the first one, which I didn't much like, and the last four which I own. I just bought The Martian and The Iron King and plan to read them soon. I read Bird Box recently. It was entertaining enough, but not among the 2014 favorites. I gave it three stars at Goodreads.
While I hope I have better success with the Hitchhikers Guide than those of you who did not enjoy it, at least I won't feel like a SciFi outcast if it turns out not to be my cup of tea.

BelleZora, thank you for your feedback on Bird Box, I have no expectations going into that one. I hope we both enjoy The Martian and The Iron King!

Thank you and a very Happy New Year to you both!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Elizabeth Bear's Dust is Amazing. A really good SF read.
It does sound fascinating, yet people seem reluctant to give it a go. Thank you for your feedback and for participating in the poll. I look forward to reading Dust, eventually.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:32 AM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
While the leading book is still clearly in the lead, there is a tie for 2nd place, followed by a very distant contender in 3rd.

I am very excited to see if:

1. The leader stays in the lead (which I think it will, to be honest).
2. Which of the books in 2nd overtakes the other.
3. If the 3rd place book will continue to gain, or be overthrown by one right behind it.

It seems that my first 3 (possibly 4) reads of 2015 have been determined - I'm just waiting to see in which order they will be read.
It seems that the 2nd place stalemate has been broken, at least for now, and the now 4th place book received a little bit of love.

I once again want to say Thank You to everyone who has or will participate in the poll. I really appreciate it.

Sending out wishes for a Very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous NEw Year!!
Advert
Old 01-01-2015, 02:45 AM   #33
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think it's going to be The Martian by a landslide.
It does seem likely to win with 18 votes already.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:08 AM   #34
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
While I hope I have better success with the Hitchhikers Guide than those of you who did not enjoy it, at least I won't feel like a SciFi outcast if it turns out not to be my cup of tea.
If you go in with that attitude, you might get a disappointment either way. You are either looking what is so great about it or what is wrong with it. It appears to be a toss, you either like it a lot or not at all. Sure it is a great series, very weird especially with the unusual science behind things.But then, I think, it gets more hype than it deserves sometimes.

So the best way to enjoy your read would be to go in with a fresh set of eyes - forget all the positive and negative things you heard about it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If you go in with that attitude, you might get a disappointment either way. You are either looking what is so great about it or what is wrong with it. It appears to be a toss, you either like it a lot or not at all. Sure it is a great series, very weird especially with the unusual science behind things.But then, I think, it gets more hype than it deserves sometimes.

So the best way to enjoy your read would be to go in with a fresh set of eyes - forget all the positive and negative things you heard about it.
You are quite right! Thank you.
Advert
Old 01-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #36
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm another who voted for those I'd be most interested in reading, as I haven't read any of them.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:21 AM   #37
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I'm another who voted for those I'd be most interested in reading, as I haven't read any of them.
Yay! Cool! Thank you.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:23 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I voted for two of the ones I've read that I know what take too long to read and are quite good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #39
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I've tried a number of authors on that list and I confess most of them aren't really books I've enjoyed. However, I do like the two books I've read from Patricia Wrede, so that's the one I voted for!!!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #40
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I voted for The Enchanted Forest book 1, since I love that series.
It is one of my all-time top-5-or-so favorites, and as I said elsewhere I am positive you will love it.

Rather disappointing that it seems so few have even heard of it...

I also voted for the Hitchhiker's Guide, which has a similar zany humor although the last two were a little too dark and didn't work as well.

Haven't read most of the others, so I didn't feel comfortable recommending them.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #41
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I've tried a number of authors on that list and I confess most of them aren't really books I've enjoyed. However, I do like the two books I've read from Patricia Wrede, so that's the one I voted for!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I voted for The Enchanted Forest book 1, since I love that series.
It is one of my all-time top-5-or-so favorites, and as I said elsewhere I am positive you will love it.

Rather disappointing that it seems so few have even heard of it...

I also voted for the Hitchhiker's Guide, which has a similar zany humor although the last two were a little too dark and didn't work as well.

Haven't read most of the others, so I didn't feel comfortable recommending them.
Thank you both! I am greatly enjoying watching this poll, and anticipating the reads to come!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:32 PM   #42
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Nyssa, here is another good idea: after you read the top 3 or 4 of the poll you should consider the losers without a vote. You can be the guinea pig and tell us afterwards if they were any good.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:06 PM   #43
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Nyssa, here is another good idea: after you read the top 3 or 4 of the poll you should consider the losers without a vote. You can be the guinea pig and tell us afterwards if they were any good.
I'll keep that in mind! I do plan to read all of them, eventually, anyway, so why not.

Less than an hour to go... before the poll closes, I wonder if there will be any last minute/ surprise votes!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #44
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Maybe I'm just stupid when it comes to polls... but I thought this was a public poll where we could see each others' choices. So why can't I see them anymore?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:26 PM   #45
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Maybe I'm just stupid when it comes to polls... but I thought this was a public poll where we could see each others' choices. So why can't I see them anymore?
It is and you should, as far as i know....