Device: none
I just tried to install the mobipocket 6.0 software and got an error that says
"The READER.EXE file is linked to missing export SETUPAPI.DLL:CM_Get_Parent."

Any ideas on what I need to do?
EnginerdLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Get a Sony Reader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #33
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
I'll help you when I get home (I'm at work now).
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #34
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

What version of Windows are you using?

http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/view...ca8ae0e7bfb752
Old 09-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #35
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnginerdLisa View Post
I just tried to install the mobipocket 6.0 software and got an error that says
"The READER.EXE file is linked to missing export SETUPAPI.DLL:CM_Get_Parent."

Any ideas on what I need to do?
Are you running XP or Vista? You don't really need the 6.0 version unless you're trying to capture the Kindle's PID (via XP) and there is another way to do that.

Download the current MobiPocket Reader version 6.2 from the MobiPocket site here. Here are the differences between the versions I noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I experimented with a couple of versions of Mobipocket on my dual boot XP/Vista laptop. Here are the results.
  • If Mobipocket 6.0 is installed on Windows XP, the Kindle will be recognized and it's PID will be captured.
  • If Mobipocket 6.0 is installed on Windows Vista, the Kindle will not be recognized at all and you will be asked to attach your handheld device... incessantly.
  • If Mobipocket 6.2 is installed on Windows Vista, the Kindle will be recognized and and additional drive but no PID will be captured.

If you're running Vista, try to install Mobipocket on an XP machine with your Kindle attached long enough to get the PID. That way you can run 6.2 on your Vista machine and just fill in the PID you got from the XP machine.

daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #36
EnginerdLisa
EnginerdLisa began at the beginning.

GatorDeb: I am using an old computer with ME, I guess that might be the problem.

daffy4u: I was just trying to capture the PID, you mentioned another way to do that, how?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #37
GatorDeb
Evangelist

ME doesn't work. Follow that link I posted and you can download 4.9 which does work
Old 09-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #38
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I was just trying to capture the PID, you mentioned another way to do that, how?
Use kindlepid.py, see How to make Igor's script work.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
GatorDeb: I am using an old computer with ME, I guess that might be the problem.

daffy4u: I was just trying to capture the PID, you mentioned another way to do that, how?
I have no experience with ME so I'm not sure how to advise you. This information on capturing the Kindle PID should work because it's a command line [DOS] procedure.

You can read about the scripts for capturing the Kindle PID and links to the Python scripts here. You're going to need your Kindle's registration number which you can get from the Manage Your Kindle page. I don't know if you can get the registration number before you receive your Kindle.

How to make the script work. This is the post that was clearest to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I was a total novice when it came to running scripts on my XP PC. It took me a couple of days of trial and error but this is what worked.

1. Download and install Python. I installed version 2.5. It is in a directory labeled: c:\Python25
2. Download and unzip Igor's scripts. Either unzip or move the scripts to c:\Python25\Tools\Scripts
3. Edit the PATH to include the Python executable and the path to the scripts (where you placed Igor's scripts). In XP right-click on "My Computer" then click on "Properties","Advanced" tab, "Environmental Variables". In the System Variables window find and highlight "PATH" and click edit. Add the paths. The two paths I added were ;c:\Python25 and ;c:\Python25\Tools\Scripts. Please note that each path starts with a semi-colon ";" Be sure your typing is correct and click "OK" Keep clicking "OK" until you're out of the System Properties window.

post content removed on Amazon's request

I was able to convert all my MobiPocket ebooks from one of two ebook stores. *However*, 95% of the books did not show titles when loaded onto the Kindle. There's a fix for that MobiPerl thread Fortunately, you won't have to install Perl to get this to work assuming the Windows executables work in Vista. I was able to add back title and author to the file so that I could see them on the Kindle.

I'm no expert but I'm not afraid to try new (at least to me) things on the PC.

I don't know what, if any, differences there are to running all this in Vista but if there are, I hope you let us know.

HTH
Old 09-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Get a Sony Reader?
Seriously. How does that help?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Wow, I didn't see that one coming. I didn't think anyone still used ME.

BOb
Old 09-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Seriously. How does that help?

BOb
No need to actually install Mobipocket Reader to go along with a Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No need to actually install Mobipocket Reader to go along with a Sony.
Ah. Well, there's no "need" to install it at all no matter what reader you have.

BOb
Old 09-28-2008, 12:54 PM   #44
EnginerdLisa
EnginerdLisa began at the beginning.

My actual computer is being repaired, so until I purchase teh new harddrive it requires I am suffereing through the old computer!

I downloaded python and the scripts as instructed, but I get lost on step 3 in the step by step insructions daffy4u posted, apparently it works diffently in ME because right clicking on my computer dosn't give me those options. I am about ready to give up and just accept that I will use amazon as my only source since apparently you need some sort of PhD in computers to get the rest of this junk to work. I assumed that being able to convert files would be simple!
Old 09-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #45
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
My actual computer is being repaired, so until I purchase teh new harddrive it requires I am suffereing through the old computer!

I downloaded python and the scripts as instructed, but I get lost on step 3 in the step by step insructions daffy4u posted, apparently it works diffently in ME because right clicking on my computer dosn't give me those options. I am about ready to give up and just accept that I will use amazon as my only source since apparently you need some sort of PhD in computers to get the rest of this junk to work. I assumed that being able to convert files would be simple!
I did a little Google Seach. See if this link (a page with pictures, yay!) helps you with ME.

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~louis/sof.../q1.html#win98