Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

View Poll Results: What would you do in a situation like that?
Forget about it. 10 13.16%
Buy paperbacks and download ebooks from darknet. 36 47.37%
Buy paperbacks, scan and OCR them (I live in the UK, scanning is illegal) 3 3.95%
Take out the books from the library so TOR gets no more of my money on pbooks 9 11.84%
Download from the darknet and don't pay for it. 18 23.68%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Dilemma

I have a dilemma now.

I would like to read The Urth? I, the New Sun 5 book series.
I wanted to buy them ....cannot. Ebooks do not exist.
I have the first volume (2 books in one volume) in the series. I bought it 1 years ago.

On the darknet I could download all of them.

What shell I do?

Reading a paper book - out of question (look at post number 6 for more details).

So, there are 2 ways as far as I can see.

1. Forget about it for a few years and hope that one day the publishers will have a mercy and publish ebooks or maybe they will not? or maybe when they do it the writer will no longer be alive? In this case there is a chance that the writer will never see my money...

2. I could buy the rest of the series in paper back editions. Then download ebooks from darknet. Edit them accordingly and read them. In this case, writer will be compensated for his work, because I will buy 2 more books while the writer is alive vs. buying ebooks in some near or not so near future. (In this case the publishers will get my money too!)

Steve Jordan suggested another way:
3. Buy paperbacks, scan and OCR them.
One should take into the account that I live in the UK where it is illegal to scan my paperbacks.

What should I do?

Last edited by astra; 12-13-2007 at 12:10 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Maybe you should mention the actual question...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I never created a poll and was testing it

the first post should have the question now.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Reading a paper book - out of question.
Why? Owning an eBook reader doesn't mean that you can't read paper books too. You are allowed to do both .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #5
astra
The Introvert

By the law there is only one option. Number 1.
The rest of the options are illegal for me by the law.

Ethically...I believe option 2 is the way to go.

Options 3 is unacceptable by me on a basis that it would take me ages to scan the books.
Advert
Old 12-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why? Owning an eBook reader doesn't mean that you can't read paper books too. You are allowed to do both .
After buying ebook reader I have changed my reading habbits. I take my reader everywhere with me. When I have a lanch at work, I eat and then read for the rest of 1 hour time.
I don't want to carry the book with me. Also, I didn't buy ebook reader where I can change font size etc. to go backwards.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still regularly read paper books. Many of the books I want to read aren't available as eBooks, and I'm certainly not going to download them illegally!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Personally, I would feel ok ethically with downloading the books if I own them but I would never advise someone else to do something illegal.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #9
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I still regularly read paper books. Many of the books I want to read aren't available as eBooks, and I'm certainly not going to download them illegally!
I see. Fair enough.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Personally, I would feel ok ethically with downloading the books if I own them but I would never advise someone else to do something illegal.
I think I had to word my question a bit differently.

Akin to What whould you do in a situation like that?
So, that people do not feel as if they give an advice.

I will send PM to admin and see if it can be changed.

Last edited by astra; 12-13-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I've edited the question for you.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I've edited the question for you.

Now check you PM please

Old 12-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is that these books are published by TOR and we all know by know how really bad TOR is as a publishing company when it comes to ebooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I had to add another option to the thread as none of them fit what I would do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
astra
The Introvert

OK!