Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
Red face good screen, good/custom fonts, just works?

Hi,

I'm on a trip and I cracked the screen of my Nook Classic (rooted) So now I'm looking for a replacement. I hope you can recommend me something because I've been looking at reviews and other posts here but I can't make up my mind.

This is my must-have list:
  • A damn good screen
  • I can use my own fonts (rooting or not, whatever is needed), or at least has damn good fonts.
  • I can just copy my epubs/whatever format and they work, and I don't need to use any special software (for example, it just mounts as mass storage). I don't use drm, so I can convert my ebooks.
  • 6".
  • Can read PDF (with and without reflow)
  • Available in Europe.

Nice-to-have things would be the ability to change the margins and landscape mode. I don't really care about touch screens.

I was looking at the BeBook Neo, but I'm not sure about the screen: I've seen horror stories about its glare and lack of contrast. I also looked at the kindles, but it's quite expensive to get them in the Netherlands, and I'm also concerned about the amount of control that Amazon wants to have over their devices (I won't buy any ebooks in Amazon). The Sony PRS-T1 doesn't seem to get much love in these forums. How about OpenInkpot? From their website I gather that is not really usable yet, or am I missing something?

Thanks a lot

Last edited by grimborg; 12-29-2011 at 12:07 PM.
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Pocketbook 602/3/12

There is nothing wrong with the Bebook Neo/ Boox 60. neither glare nor contrast . there was once a batch of screens that had an issue which was resolved a year and a half ago. every brand who had displays from that batch or two had the same issue including Sony and Kindle and Pocketbook etc.

Really that device is still my favorite of that generation of ereaders. I use mine more than any other i have
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimborg View Post
The Sony PRS-T1 doesn't seem to get much love in these forums.
They get plenty of love, but there where issues with random page turnings when the T1 came out, haven't heard of nor experienced those after the last update.

There is also the problem that using the build in fontchanging feature may or may not make all or some bold and/or italic passages appear normal. Which can be a real pita for some books. If you're ok with adding a few lines in the css link
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
BeBook Neo would be an excellent choice, meeting all your requirements, but if you don´t care about the touch screen and prefer a Pearl screen, have a look at the BeBook Club S.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:56 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Another vote for the Bebook Club S. It should fulfil your requirements (and you do something good for a Dutch company )
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Older Sony, like the PRS-350 perhaps? I think it meets all the stated criteria.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The latest Sony Reader (PRS-T1) supports all of your requirements as well. Worth looking in to.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Do the books have Barnes and Noble DRM on them? If they do you'll have to strip the DRM to read them on any other device. The Kobo Touch is really nice for fonts, you can load them from your computer just by making a "fonts" folder in the main storage (So no rooting required). The screen is really nice and sharp.

But I'm not sure if you have to register your device first to read sideloaded content? Which would mean that you would have to download the Kobo desktop app to register it. And then you can load books on however you want too.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Sony T1.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
Thanks everybody for your answers! I bought a PRS-T1. The screen and fonts are nice, I like the autocrop and fit width features, and also the fact that it runs Android, so I can run my newspaper, greader and wikipedia apps.
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote