Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #106
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
1. The ability to read mobipocket format books from mobipocket.

Have been reading mobipocket-formatted ebooks purchased from Fictionwise and Mobipocket for some time now. (Well, not doing so *NOW* because my Cybook died early last week - as in broken power switch. Now I just pretend to read my Cybook by staring at my white wall and imagining there's text there.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:41 PM   #107
Varley
Varley began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3
Not all the mobipocket format books from mobipocket.com work - so greater compatibility would be a nice addition.
Varley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #108
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Not all the mobipocket format books from mobipocket.com work - so greater compatibility would be a nice addition.
It is probably not a question of incompatibility but a question of bugs. So I hope that all people that find a book that do not work report it to Bookeen.

Last edited by tompe; 01-11-2008 at 09:24 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #109
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One answer I am surprised at not seeing especially at the top of everyone's lists....

1. ALL THE BUGS FIXED
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #110
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One answer I am surprised at not seeing especially at the top of everyone's lists....

1. ALL THE BUGS FIXED
Maybe becaue it is a stupid wish. If you meant all observed bugs fixed its is a bit more sensible. But I rather have folder support than all observed bugs fixed. They need to fix important bugs like some books not working and bookmarks not working but after that folder support are more importat.
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 03:31 AM   #111
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps for Bookeen, as for me, bookmarks do work perfectly

Speaking as a software developer myself, it's very difficult to fix a bug that you're unable to reproduce yourself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:25 AM   #112
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They work perfectly for me to. Maybe because we were in the first batch? Maybe the hardware have changed? And I meant that it was important for Bookeen. Non working bookmarks is bad PR.

Quote:
Speaking as a software developer myself, it's very difficult to fix a bug that you're unable to reproduce yourself.
Exactly. And some bugs are really not so important compared to new features.

Last edited by tompe; 01-12-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #113
Striking Claw
Enthusiast
Striking Claw doesn't litterStriking Claw doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3, ILiad, HP hx4700
Quote:

Maybe they could implement some workaround if they are not able to fix the problems. I have on of the Cybooks with the bookmark problem. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. If there were pagenumbers while reading a book then I could at least use the "goto page" feature to jump to the last read page (of course I still would have to remember which page that was).
Instead of impementing the support for folders (which probably is a mayor change) they could implement the "goto page" in the library view (The pagenumbers are allready there) or even better let us use letters to jump to a specific book. An other possibility would be to allow us to switch off the cover pictures to speed up paging.
My library currently has over 150 pages in 5 books per page view and it's not funny to go to a book starting with 'B' after having read a book starting with 'S'. If I switch to the 20 books per page view I need less paging but the buildup of every individual page takes much longer and the Cybook won't accept another paging before the page is completely displayed.

It would also be nice if Bookeen would keep us up todate or on their blog page about the solved problems and when they intend to but a firmware update on the net, instead of yet another review of the Cybook.
Striking Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #114
SandySchwab
Mad Author
SandySchwab began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Lucky you! It's a rather strange bug indeed -- so very unpredictable! At first I thought it only occurred when I left the reader switched on for some time without turning a page (e.g. when going into the kitchen to make tea and get some cookies and feed the cat). But this morning, I could no longer place bookmarks after I'd read one hour without any sort of interruptions. 'Tis all very strange.
SandySchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #115
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandySchwab View Post
Lucky you! It's a rather strange bug indeed -- so very unpredictable! At first I thought it only occurred when I left the reader switched on for some time without turning a page (e.g. when going into the kitchen to make tea and get some cookies and feed the cat). But this morning, I could no longer place bookmarks after I'd read one hour without any sort of interruptions. 'Tis all very strange.
I just enabled the write protection on my SD card and the symptom then is exactly as described with the bookmark bug. So maybe there can be many reasons for this. One might be that the slider setting the write protection is loose. Another might be that the connections are dirty. Or that the drivers cannot handle the card. Or if you have corrupted the file system. Or a timing issue that make the write fail sometimes for certain sD cards.

But I seem to remember people having problem with the internal memory also.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:13 AM   #116
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
The 4-way button is not that good, which is something that would be kind of difficult to handle through a SW update. One feature that would make it easier is if the SW where changed so that more then one item were scrolled when a button pressed continuously. It would have been best if it accelerated.

Another thing that would be helpful is if it was possible to remap the three music buttons to something useful, like page turning or zoom.

Directories
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #117
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I keep all my books on an SD card and always use the Windows "safely remove hardware" tool before unplugging the USB cable. I too am wondering if the bookmark issue some people are having could perhaps be due to file system corruption caused by uplugging the USB cable with write operations pending.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:50 AM   #118
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I keep all my books on an SD card and always use the Windows "safely remove hardware" tool before unplugging the USB cable. I too am wondering if the bookmark issue some people are having could perhaps be due to file system corruption caused by uplugging the USB cable with write operations pending.
Maybe time to do some experiments. Especially for Windows users to see if it is possible to replicate it...

In Linux if you get some kind of error the file system can be configured to be remounted read only. That will happen automatically in the Cybook. That would also be consistent with the observations.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #119
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I can't save bookmarks after reading for a particularly long time, like 2 or 3 hours straight. When I can't save a bookmark, it will also not save my place in the book. The only way to fix it is to reboot the Cybook. This is on books on the Cybook memory, NOT an sd card. I also use "safely remove hardware".

I'll be reading and saving bookmarks every now and then, and suddenly after a time, it just won't save. When it won't save a bookmark, it also won't save my place. As if it's just not writing to the settings file. It only happens (and always happens) when I've been reading for a few hours straight, I don't have an exact amount of time.

It's not that the Cybook has been on for a long time, I do that often without problems, it's that I've been actively reading for a long time straight.

Battery is 100% charged, by the way. I keep it charged up, it hasn't gone below 90%.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #120
llwwss
llwwss doesn't litterllwwss doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
1. A virtual keyboard so that it can be used as a stand alone e-Dictionary.
llwwss is offline   Reply With Quote