Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #61
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnbear View Post
I have no trouble paying for a book. Put a CD in the back with the eBook and charge me a few dollars more. I would GLADLY pay more to have both a physical and electronic copy of books. As consumers we have to demand eBook versions from publishers. Politely write a letter to the publishers of your favorite books explaining how much easier an eBook is and how you would be willing to pay more to see it bundled with the hardback. Unless they can see a market to make increased profits it will never happen.

As for DRM. I don't like it but the truth is it's here to stay. Pretty much buck up or don't pay for it. What needs to happen is an open format that can be read on any device, then it won't matter unless you are attempting to pirate material. If that's the case I have no sympathy.
Again, Baen just seems to be on the ball for this. I have seen several of their books with CDs in the back, including that book (and occasionally, related books from the same author) in a variety of DRM-free formats. Sadly, they do not publish much that I read, but my buddy loves it. He has quite a library, just from Baen.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There was a Star Trek New Frontier Hardcover that had a CD attached to the first printing that had all the previous stories in PDF with no DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 AM   #63
drgnbear
Evil alien overlord.
drgnbear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Exactly and Baen gets my money. Even if I don't find the book attractive if it comes with electronic versions attached I buy it. Well... within reason. I love Sci-Fi and Fantasy so... I don't really know if it's being done outside of that Genre. My biggest beef with the Sony store is their Sci-Fi and Fantasy stuff reeks.

Last edited by drgnbear; 08-02-2007 at 01:13 AM.
drgnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I just bought a book a collection of an author's first three books in a series (in one book) for $9.95. Pretty good price I'd have to say. Brings it to $3.32 per book.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:11 AM   #65
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
No longer needed. Peer networks do a much better job.
Quote:
Unnecessary today. The internet and word of mouth does a much better job.
No they don't. Every peer network devolves in short order into factionalized fan clubs that yield very little useful information. What valuable information is there ends up requiring way too much effort from the user to glean. The longer any community exists, the more it comes to resemble Slashdot. They become populated with personalities that treat their own preferences as "The One True Way" and spit on any other opinion with religious zeal.

Quote:
Posting the first chapter of the book for free, for example, does a much better job of promotion - and costs almost nothing.
Also not true. Some obscure Web site in a remote corner of the digiverse is not going to get noticed. Getting it noticed requires one heck of a lot of time and effort. You either hire astroturfers, or you spend more time promoting than writing. Since that costs either time or money, it will show up in the bottom line of the ebook.

Quote:
Value to the author only. Not an excuse to make eBooks cost more.
You keep making that distinction, but it's meaningless. If something is of value to the "manufacturer," said "manufacturer" is going to pass it on to the consumer. Safety goggles in an auto factory are only of value to the employees. So are salaries. So are health care benefits. Those things still show up in the bottom line.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Release the eBook in an open format and let the readers convert as needed.
Lauzon,

One has only to read these forums to see how many dishonest people there are around, who have no qualms about reading illegally-downloaded versions of "Harry Potter", for example. It is clear that DRM is critically important - without DRM these dishonest people will carry on illegally downloading books rather than buying them. Book publishers exist for one reason, and one reason alone - to make a profit; they are not charities. No DRM means no profit and hence no books.

Open formats are worthless - DRM is the only way to go if you want to see more commercially-published eBooks. I am astonished that you fail to see this self-evident truth! Long live DRM!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #67
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgnbear View Post
As consumers we have to demand eBook versions from publishers. Politely write a letter to the publishers of your favorite books explaining how much easier an eBook is and how you would be willing to pay more to see it bundled with the hardback. Unless they can see a market to make increased profits it will never happen.
I think a lot of publishers who are thinking actively about e-books (and most of them are) are biding their own time until they are ready. If we contact them, demonstrating that there is a market right now, maybe they will speed up the process. And if we phrase our requests properly, it might help them decide on issues like formats, DRM, price, etc, that they may be on the fence about right now.

Maybe some thought should be given to a script that could be used by consumers to send to publishers, hitting on our desired points so as to make clear to them what we want and how we want it. Some unity from us would be a help to them to make the final decisions.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #68
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
By that logic Steve Jordan should be one of the most successful writers out there today.
Marketing and advertising does not make a "OK" book "great."
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #69
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One has only to read these forums to see how many dishonest people there are around, who have no qualms about reading illegally-downloaded versions of "Harry Potter", for example.
You obviously haven't read these forums. Those people also purchased the book and the only reason they downloaded the illegal eBook was so they could read it as an eBook. An eBook that was not offered at all through any legal channel.

Quote:
It is clear that DRM is critically important
Fact: DRM doesn't work. All DRM has been cracked.

DRM exists for only 1 purpose: to lock a user into a certain company. It does not, cannot, protect the content.

DRM is a failure. To think it's "critically important" is to ignore the facts and think that customers are morons.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Give me URLs to prove that ever ebook DRM has been cracked.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
You obviously haven't read these forums. Those people also purchased the book and the only reason they downloaded the illegal eBook was so they could read it as an eBook. An eBook that was not offered at all through any legal channel.
Completely irrelevent. It's still illegal, and anyone who downloads it is breaking the law. How can you possibly know that everyone who downloaded it has also purchased the book?

Quote:
Fact: DRM doesn't work. All DRM has been cracked.

DRM exists for only 1 purpose: to lock a user into a certain company. It does not, cannot, protect the content.

DRM is a failure. To think it's "critically important" is to ignore the facts and think that customers are morons.
Of course DRM protects content - that's what it's for. You are entirely incorrect in saying that all DRM has been cracked - can you give me a link to a crack for Mobipocket DRM, for example? For about Adobe's DRM? No? I thought not.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:36 PM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Completely irrelevent. It's still illegal, and anyone who downloads it is breaking the law. How can you possibly know that everyone who downloaded it has also purchased the book?

Of course DRM protects content - that's what it's for. You are entirely incorrect in saying that all DRM has been cracked - can you give me a link to a crack for Mobipocket DRM, for example? For about Adobe's DRM? No? I thought not.
Adobe's DRM has been broken somehow. I saw a file on the net that was from an original PDF DRM copy and the DRM was broken. But I have never seen eReader or MobiPocket DRM broken.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #73
silkpag
Enthusiast
silkpag began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Adobe's DRM has been broken somehow. I saw a file on the net that was from an original PDF DRM copy and the DRM was broken. But I have never seen eReader or MobiPocket DRM broken.
pdbshred did both for a while--eventually, on Mobi, you got a great message if you tried it on .prc files. They had a sense of humor about the whole thing.

Only thing hindering development of Mobi/E-Reader DRM cracking, one suspects, is that currently everything published in those two formats is also available in MS-Reader.

Disclaimer: I was only using the program on my own secure Mobi digital files, from an especially-NSFW-during-summer imprint.
silkpag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:09 PM   #74
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Marketing and advertising does not make a "OK" book "great."
(Ooh! Yuh got me!)

Maybe not, but marketing and advertising will put an "OK" book ghost-written for Dr. Phil on the NYT bestseller list.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #75
rlauzon
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Give me URLs to prove that ever ebook DRM has been cracked.
On Slashdot today:
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/01/2218256

OOps. Sorry, that was audio and video, not eBooks. But the quote:
"When you look at the technology, there's no getting around the fact that DRM is an abject failure."
applies to eBooks. I would argue that eBooks aren't in high enough demand to merit the same attention from the people who enjoy crasking DRM.

Last edited by rlauzon; 08-02-2007 at 04:37 PM.