Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #46
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8
(As far as varnie files are concerned, I guess they're a drop-in replacement for bhaak ones).
you're right. I'll post a bit later extension for launching standalone CoolReader3 application.
If you'll follow my way you'll need to:
1) copy the archive's content (its 'bin' and 'share' folders) directly to your "/mnt/us/cr3xcb" folder on Kindle Touch (in case you're connected by SSH).
Or just connect Kindle Touch by USB, create that "cr3xcb" folder and copy there these folders.

So the final structure would look like:
Quote:
cr3xcb
-> bin
-> share
2) After that the appropriate GUI launcher extension for CoolReader3 will be ready, It will take us just to register our CoolReader3 for GUI Launcher as an ordinary GUI extension.

There should appear a new command in the Launcher menu on Kindle Touch. Yup, it will invoke CoolReader3

But, as I said, I didn't have enough time to create that extension. So, please stay in touch.

Last edited by varnie; 03-16-2012 at 07:21 AM.
varnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #47
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
When confirmed and complete it could be a useful "Unofficial instructions for installing Kindle Touch Hacked Up Reader for epub" for those willing to try it.

Please note: these instructions are for Kindle Touch only.
  1. WARNING!!!
    By trying to apply the following hacks you can potentially destroy your Kindle Touch. You are advised, so do not complain if it happens. Anything you do is at your risk.
    • Do a COMPLETE BACKUP before trying to do anything. Better to do a backup than whining you've lost your files.
    • Don't try to do anything if you don't understand (and don't even think about it without a complete backup). Ask instead. Your kindle integrity is worth a little waiting.
    • And remember to do a COMPLETE BACKUP before trying to do anything.
    • At the moment the following instructions are not confirmed by packagers and may change at any time: DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS unless you really want to risk. However reading them should be mostly harmless (but I would suggest a complete backup, just in case )
  2. jailbreak
    The following will work only on a jailbroken kindle device. This is mandatory.
    Follow these instructions to jailbreak youd device.
  3. libfreetype library (by varnie, packaged by ixtab)
    This is not mandatory but coolreader3 font rendering works much better with this library.
    There's a libfreetype bin package that can be installed/uninstalled by putting it on the top of the USB accessible directory.
    If something is messed after first reboot, reboot once more.
  4. hackedpubreader extension for GUI launcher (by bhaak)
    This is for loading the coolreader3 package via the yifanlu GUI launcher (which integrates it into the main kindle menu interface: get it here)
    There's a hackedpubreader extension for GUI launcher that can be copied in the "extensions" directory of the USB accessible directory.

To activate it you can follow two approaches. Both require that you access your kindle via ssh as root.
    • This solution modifies an Amazon installed file, at the risk of losing changes with a firmware upgrade. Login as root via SSH and execute these commands:
      Code:
      mntroot rw
      cat /mnt/us/extensions/hackedupreader/hackedupreader.policy >>/usr/java/lib/security/java.policy
      mntroot ro
      killall cvm
    • Login as root via SSH and execute these commands:
      Code:
      mntroot rw
      cp /mnt/us/extensions/hackedupreader/HackedUpReaderExtension.jar /opt/amazon/ebook/lib
      sed -i -e 's|jar="\([^"]\+\)"|jar="/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/\1"|g' /mnt/us/extensions/hackedupreader/config.xml
      mntroot ro
      killall cvm
  5. hackedpubreader binaries (by bhaak)
    This is the epub reader core package
    The reader binaries are in the zip in https://github.com/bhaak/HackedUpReader/downloads. This zip contains a cr3xcb directory which has to be copied on the top of the USB accessible directory (/mnt/us)
  6. hackedpubreader binaries alternative (by varnie)
    As an alternative, varnie has compiled a modified version of the binaries with a working "open ebooks" feature. The zip file consists in two directories (/bin and /share). They replace those in /mnt/us/cr3xcb. A specific GUI launcher will be released soon.

Last edited by pirl8; 03-17-2012 at 09:18 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #48
varnie
Connoisseur
varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.varnie can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Howdy.

As I promised, I implemented the simple GUI launcher. it can be obtained there: https://github.com/varnie/HackedUpReaderLauncher
Simple instructions are also provided.

As for libfreetype library issue I am kinda confused. I hope I didn't mess anything up. If I remember correctly, I didn't put my own built one to the Kindle file system.
In any case, here's which one I have there on this moment:
Quote:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 700.1K Nov 3 20:05 libfreetype.so.6.3.20
I can confirm HackedUpReader works well with this one.
And I am running 5.0.4 official firmware if it matters.

So, for those who would like to attempt my approach, here are some brief instructions:
  1. download the archive from https://github.com/varnie/HackedUpReader/downloads and extract it directly into /mnt/us/cr3xcb
  2. follow the instructions for my simple GUI Launcher extension: https://github.com/varnie/HackedUpReaderLauncher
  3. now you should be able to invoke HackedUpReader from the Launcher menu

ps: I've uploaded several screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-03-16T23_55_45-0000.gif
Views:	7474
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	84036   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-03-16T23_59_11-0000.gif
Views:	7385
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	84037   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-03-16T23_59_28-0000.gif
Views:	731
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	84038   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-03-17T00_05_22-0000.gif
Views:	823
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	84039  

Last edited by varnie; 03-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #49
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Thanks

Last edited by thomass; 03-16-2012 at 03:26 PM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #50
Tsukasa
Tsukasa began at the beginning.

Code:
error: wrong document size
cannot open document
it happens when i try open books over 1mb size
Tsukasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #51
varnie
Connoisseur

Tsukasa,
what is that file's size exactly?
There's a check whether the file size is less than 5 bytes, I suppose. and in that case it prints that message on the screen.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #52
Tsukasa

sory for desinformation

this happens when book placed in subfolder in documents folder
CR3 can see the books in subfolder but after trying open it create 0 byte file in documents folder with same name and write that error

or maybe its because russian folder names, but mobi whith russian name opened normally from documents folder

with CR3 we need the mess of all books in one folder(

in any case, a big thanks for work, its already usable version

Last edited by Tsukasa; 03-16-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #53
varnie
Connoisseur

Tsukasa
thanks for the info. I'll try to fix it. as for now, generally speaking, putting ebooks into subfolders doesn't work.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #54
acajac
acajac began at the beginning.

Is it available to decrease the font size? below 32?

Varnie, Tsukasa, thanks a lot.
I have a question. The minimum font size is 32. Right?
So, It's not available to decrease it less than 32.
To me, the size is little bit big to read books.

Last edited by acajac; 03-17-2012 at 12:38 AM.
acajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #55
Tsukasa

font sizes 16-62

to choose smaller than 32 tap on left half of black down bar

PS and read the instructions down bar is a left and right buttons
Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 PM   #56
acajac
acajac began at the beginning.

Great~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
font sizes 16-62

to choose smaller than 32 tap on left half of black down bar

PS and read the instructions down bar is a left and right buttons

Tsukasa,

A thousand thanks~!

Could you let me know where I can find the instruction?

Last edited by acajac; 03-17-2012 at 02:18 AM.
acajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:49 AM   #57
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Wow, lots of activity
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
By the way, according to bhaak, the /mnt/us/extensions/hackedupreader/config.xml file has to be modified to keep up with this. I've tested that simply copying the file does not work. [/COLOR]
@bhaak: how?
Change this line in config.xml
Code:
<menu type="java" jar="HackedUpReaderExtension.jar">com.github.bhaak.HackedUpReaderExtension</menu>
to

Code:
<menu type="java" jar="/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/HackedUpReaderExtension.jar">com.github.bhaak.HackedUpReaderExtension</menu>
The GUI launcher must be able to locate the HackedUpReaderExtension.jar, either by relative or absolute path.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #58
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnie View Post
As for libfreetype library issue I am kinda confused. I hope I didn't mess anything up. If I remember correctly, I didn't put my own built one to the Kindle file system.
In any case, here's which one I have there on this moment:

I can confirm HackedUpReader works well with this one.
And I am running 5.0.4 official firmware if it matters.
The original libfreetype library has issues with custom fonts (didn't you say that it crashed for you, too?) and I think it doesn't provide any kerning.

But if you only use the stock fonts, AFAIK you shouldn't have issues.
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #59
varnie
Connoisseur

Good day, bhaak
hmm, maybe you're right. It seems I forgot what I did :-/

I done several valuable features and bug fixes in CR3, so, if you'd like I could send you a pull request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukasa View Post
this happens when book placed in subfolder in documents folder
CR3 can see the books in subfolder but after trying open it create 0 byte file in documents folder with same name and write that error

with CR3 we need the mess of all books in one folder(
I updated the files handling in the newer version. Now it should handle subfolders without issues. Please give it a try and write back.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #60
lukeroge
Enthusiast
lukeroge began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varnie View Post
Good day, bhaak
hmm, maybe you're right. It seems I forgot what I did :-/

I done several valuable features and bug fixes in CR3, so, if you'd like I could send you a pull request.

I updated the files handling in the newer version. Now it should handle subfolders without issues. Please give it a try and write back.
Thanks for fixing that, I'll have to try it later.
It seems to be randomly making files named after books I read which appear in the main kindle book list, any ideas why its doing this? (on the version before the subfolder update)
lukeroge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, launcher add-ons