Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #61
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I am unable to find "\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pr ef". Sure would like some help.
The system folder on my K3 only has, what appears to be, the current preference placeholder.
Befuddled - John
Thanks to all those that replied. I'm running Vista and showing system files as the administrator. The "reader.pref" showes the following:

#User preferences for Reader Booklet
#Thu Sep 02 11:35:25 GMT-05:00 2010
FONT_SIZE=36
LINE_SPACING=1
DICTIONARY=Easton's Bible Dictionary
JUSTIFICATION=full
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40
LAST_BOOK_READ=/mnt/us/documents/L'Amour, Louis/Warrior's Path, The - L'Amour, Louis.azw
FONT_FAMILY=sansserif

This looks like a file that keeps track of where you were when you shut down. None of the other files in the K3's System (or my DXG for that matter) folder don't appear to have any thing to do with margins. And I still can't find "\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pr ef".

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #62
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks to all those that replied. I'm running Vista and showing system files as the administrator. The "reader.pref" showes the following:

FONT_SIZE=36
LINE_SPACING=1
JUSTIFICATION=full
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40
LAST_BOOK_READ=/mnt/us/documents/L'Amour, Louis/Warrior's Path, The - L'Amour, Louis.azw
FONT_FAMILY=sansserif

This looks like a file that keeps track of where you were when you shut down. None of the other files in the K3's System (or my DXG for that matter) folder don't appear to have any thing to do with margins. And I still can't find "\system\com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader\reader.pr ef".

Regards - John
It seems to me that you've found the correct file, "reader.pref". I'm not sure why, but your quote of the full path seems to have a weird space in it in the middle of 'pref'.

Where is the file you found, if not in /system/com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader/ ?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #63
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:

FONT_SIZE=36
LINE_SPACING=1
JUSTIFICATION=full
HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40
FONT_FAMILY=sansserif

Regards - John
That is the right file, the line HORIZONTAL_MARGIN=40 is the one you alter
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #64
Otter
Connoisseur
Otter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-650, ipod Touch, ipad 2, NC, Kindle Scribe
Ugh, I can find that file at all on my K3. Running Vista with admin priv and show hidden files turned on.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #65
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Ugh, I can find that file at all on my K3. Running Vista with admin priv and show hidden files turned on.
If using Windows be sure to set Folder Options to Show hidden files, folders, and drives and uncheck the Hide unprotected system files option.

Be sure to set both of these options correctly.

Here is a screenshot from Windows 7:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	folder-options.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	57526  

Last edited by jswinden; 09-02-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #66
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
In Explorer, goto Tools, Folder Options, View and take the tick out of' Hide protected operating system files' and restart explorer, the system folder should now be showing

Oops, as above lol, cheers jswinden, tut, a screenshot as well, now that's just showing off, well done...

Last edited by grizedale; 09-02-2010 at 01:55 PM.
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #67
Otter
Connoisseur

Thanks guys! Unchecking Hide unprotected system files option and restarting explorer afterwards did the trick. Kindle is restarting now (fingers crossed)!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #68
Otter
Connoisseur

oooh so pretty now!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #69
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally got things in the proper sequence and all works well. Used 10 on the K3 and 20 on the DXG. Big improvement on both.

Regards to all - John
Old 09-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #70
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
I rest my case ;-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
It appears that the word spacing also increases.
So we might get more real estate, but ...
It could also depend on the book/formatting.
Will have to look it some more.
Would be nice though to tell Amazon to include an option about margins in the Aa box
Got to go, earn money, so I can afford to
It appears to work very good, except for the specific book I was reading.That book just increased word spacing
Still would be nice for Amazon to let us choose in the Aa menu.
Have a nice weekend, all
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM   #71
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
You do not need to enable viewing hidden files.

Suppose your Kindle unit is "E:\". Once Kindle is connected, type "E:\System" and press enter in the Windows Explorer address bar and you will enter into that folder.

I'm just testing the feature. I will try LINE_SPACING=0 to... If you do not hear about me in two hours, my Kindle has exploded due LINE_SPACING variation...
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #72
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
It appears to work very good, except for the specific book I was reading.That book just increased word spacing
Still would be nice for Amazon to let us choose in the Aa menu.
Have a nice weekend, all
Is the book a Topaz book? If so they tend to act strange as they have so much "hardcoded" settings that they are sometime difficult to adjust via the Kindle menus.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #73
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
You do not need to enable viewing hidden files.

Suppose your Kindle unit is "E:\". Once Kindle is connected, type "E:\System" and press enter in the Windows Explorer address bar and you will enter into that folder.

I'm just testing the feature. I will try LINE_SPACING=0 to... If you do not hear about me in two hours, my Kindle has exploded due LINE_SPACING variation...
Works for margins.

LINE_SPACING seems do nothing if put to zero.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #74
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member

Played around a little more and tried several font sizes. Some interesting results with the K3 and will get around to the DXG later.

The default font sizes are: 17,18,21,25,31,36,60&86. I have no idea how they may relate to point size, maybe nothing.

I have old, tired eyes which was the reason I bought the K3. I kept my K3 at size 36, minimum line spacing (line_spacing=1) with the sans-serif font. I set the size to 38 and margins at 4 and can read at that size without my glasses. Works for me.

Using the standard setting options on my wifes K3 (max line spacing, font size 36 and the sans-serif font I got the exact number of words on mine as hers with mine set as margins=4, font=38, min line spacing and sans-serif. The same character at the top left and the exact same character at the bottom right on both units.

This has been fun - John
Old 09-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #75
911jason
Zealot
911jason doesn't litter911jason doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Has anyone had success changing the justification to left with this file? I tried, but didn't see any change. (Yes, I was on the Home screen and yes, I restarted after editing the file.)

Love the size 16 margins though! =)
911jason is offline   Reply With Quote